Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 ML350, 2005 AMG E55, 1998 E320, 1993 300CE CV Wide Body Twin Turbo
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, small dilema here.

I replaced my stock 98 e320 exhaust with the RBTech (dual chrome tips, stainless steel in/out) but it's too loud for my taste. Also since I was putting Carlsson rear bumper with no cut out, I put the original back on so that the tips are curved down. Now I got an idea from seeing Carlsson exhaust and how you have to cut the stock after resenators to install it.

So I thought about cutting the RBTech exhaust and connecting it to stock resanators.

What do you guys think?
How much do you think the combination with the stock resanator will lower the volume?

PS: I know it's a mickey mouse solution but I just don't want to put another 1000 into the exhaust.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Hey Bro. Whats up!....I have a BRABUS(Remus)Exhaust WITHOUT the resonator and i can tell you that the resonator baffles about 60-70% of the BRABUS Exhaust. I had the chance to hear an E320 and an C320 with the BRABUS Exhaust(resonator on) and im pretty accurate with my desription-you can barely hear any change from the stock not unless you rev it over 4000 rpm...This is taking into account using a BRABUS Exhaust which is has a very mild sound. Hope this helps you out

·
Registered
262 Posts
The resonator is the "can" in between the Cat and the Muffler...The Resonator makes the Exhaust more silent and further baffles the sound.

·
Registered
10 GLK 350 4Matic
704 Posts
It's basically muffler number two.

It "resonates" the base noise frequencies out of the engine to modulate the sound.

You can tune the sound of exhaust much more easily if you design the two to compliment each other.

Sometimes it is near the tailpipe end rather than between the catalytic converter and the muffler

·
Registered
29 Posts
W 220 S430 Exhaust

I noticed that the dual exhaust combines into 1 for a short distance then back out into 2 before the rear suspension and into rear mufflers. However, on the S 500 it appears that it is dual ehaust all the way. Any reason for this difference (torque increase for the 430, sound, economy etc.)? The body appears to accept the dual system. Thanks

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
I noticed that the dual exhaust combines into 1 for a short distance then back out into 2 before the rear suspension and into rear mufflers. However, on the S 500 it appears that it is dual ehaust all the way. Any reason for this difference (torque increase for the 430, sound, economy etc.)? The body appears to accept the dual system. Thanks
Realistically, that's probably a question better addressed to your W220 peeps.

Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts