Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sythetic oil has been used in my car for the past 30,000 miles... (96,000 total) my dad claims that mercedes used sythetic in the 80s but now my 380SEC has developed quite the smoking habbit.

our mechanic says the synthetic has scrubbed the seals created by traditional oil...the main reason why you cant use synthetic oil in old cars. 'duh'

can i throw some heavy weight oil in to re-clog whatever internal leaks have sprung? on a 1-10 scale the smoking is probably a 5, its worst at startup and throttle out of a full stop as well as idle, im sure its burning while im moving but its not enough to notice.

so wise ones, can i save my car from its current path of disorder? and if it isnt the synth oil based diagnosis is there another more sinister cause? (or less sinister, hopefully?)

thanks

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
scrubbed seals?? that doesn't make any sense.. 96K is nothing...

What weight oil are you running? I run synthetic in quite a few of my cars w/ excellent results...thus who ever said you can't use syn in older cars is IMHE wrong.

From the sounds of things I would venture a guess that your valve guide seals are spent/dry...your guides should still be in fine shape @ 96K.

Does your mechanic specialize in Mercedes?

Jonathan

·
Registered
500SEC (560 Euro-spec) , 190E 2.6, W-124 E320, W-124 300CE(560 Euro-Spec EFI Eng),CLK55 AMG
163 Posts
Sounds like you need to replace your valve stem seals.

I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic in all five of my MB's for years with absolutely no problems.

·
Registered
E320
2,798 Posts
pull out the spark plugs. if some or all have oil residue then it's your valve guides. if they look okay, then do a compression test. or better yet a leak down to determine if the piston rings are shot (but i doubt it).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Valve stem seals...

At that mileage, sounds like the stem seals...

I was burning about a liter every six months...

Replaced my stem seals in November '06 and haven't burnt a drop since...

Wasn't very expensive and let's face it, there's nothing worse than blowing clouds of oil out the back...

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
awesome, ill shop around for a new place and have them update the stem seals.

im not sure what was the issue with the synthetic, i havent home and driven my car much in the past 3 years since ive been away at school, only coming back over summer and winter breaks for a few weeks to see it detierioate.

thanks very much guys! im glad benzworld is still as reliable as i remember.

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
Letting these cars sit up is the worst thing for them. Have your Dad take it out while your away and exercise it on the week ends. The car will be better for it and your Dad may even have it serviced for you to boot.

Regards,

·
Registered
1982 380 SEC
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it has been driven now and then, but when i first tried starting it the battery was dead...

i taked to a mechanic and he says in order to access the stem seals the heads to be taken apart and then re-tapped? at a cost of nearly $4,000?

pricey much?

·
Registered
500SEC (560 Euro-spec) , 190E 2.6, W-124 E320, W-124 300CE(560 Euro-Spec EFI Eng),CLK55 AMG
163 Posts
Teutone's right! That quote of $4000 is a load of crap.
If I was you I'd be calling a few indy's to compare prices.

Good luck, Regards J R.

·
Registered
1982 380SE AMG euro(parted out),1983 300SD "Good Girl", 1984 500SEL AMG euro "Bad Girl"
3,256 Posts
zaystev said:
it has been driven now and then, but when i first tried starting it the battery was dead...

i taked to a mechanic and he says in order to access the stem seals the heads to be taken apart and then re-tapped? at a cost of nearly $4,000?

pricey much?
Are you sure he didn't mean valve "guides"? That is a bit different than seals and would require the heads coming off.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts