Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was a great day in the garage, where I taught my 12 year old how to change the rear brake pads on the S500. He chocked the wheels, raised the vehicle, and worked with me on the passenger side; then he completed the driver side on his own.

We also made sure to make sure that the rotor screws and caliper bolts were not frozen in place.

Does anyone know if a tool is being made that will PRESS the brake pins back through the calipers and pads instead of striking them with a hammer? We use a C-clamp to press them in but it is really awkward and I while I have contemplated the modification of the clamp it would be much easier to purchase this tool.

·
Registered
W210.265/2001, W220/S500/2000, Porsche 997 C2S/2006, GMC K1500/1992
2,157 Posts
Buy the expander from E bay for the MB cars $34.99 from SG autosport. Since you teach your kid to replace pads, your investment will last for 2 generation.

·
Registered
2000 S430 156k (11/12)
507 Posts
I bet you 12 year old made sure to make sure that emergency brake is adjusted, now you have to adjust the right side.

Yes, there is a tool called "brake pin press", you should google it.

·
Premium Member
2002 S500, 1999 C230 Kompressor, 1997 C230
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bet you 12 year old made sure to make sure that emergency brake is adjusted, now you have to adjust the right side.

Yes, there is a tool called "brake pin press", you should google it.
We left the emergency brakes alone, self adjusting. We will mess with them when we need to change the rear rotors.

I ran searches both in this forum and out on Google, and what I keep finding are results for a clevis pin press and a really heavy truck press. That being said, they all look like modified C-Clamps, so unless someone knows of a brake pin press for a Mercedes then I think I am just going to make a press. I really do not like hitting the brake pins with a hammer, my aim is just not that good and it seems rather crude to be hitting something on the caliper with a hammer. Not to mention that I could EASILY see myself striking the bleeder valve.

·
Registered
373 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts