1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 SL600
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out!

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/car/324065380.html

"This is a Mercedes wagon that I had professionally converted to run off compressed air. It can also run off bio-diesel as well. The car can run for about 600 miles on a single tank of air. It is recharged by simply plugging in the air hose to a compressor at night. The result is a clean running emission free product that’s almost silent. Compressed air is used for everything from small pneumatic tools to very heavy lifting equipment. If you worried about safety then think about this, Car running off combustible gas? Or a car running off air? Do the math. ???? ??????

Car runs very well the conversion was quite extensive that cost an estimated $10,000 in 1990 and uses a very small Quasi-turbine pneumatic air motor model QT50SC bolted to the cars engine on the passenger side, the company that performed that work is a French company called Moteur Developpement International (MDI),

I have all the records of everything done to it since new, I am the original owner of this wagon which I purchase from Phil Smart Mercedes in 1984.

The pneumatic motor which powers the wagon is extremely low maintenance and only requires a yearly seal change and a new pressure release valve all which can be ordered from the company, I posses all the records of that service.

For more questions please feel free to email me (please note that this company only performed the conversion under a private contract between my firm (Weinstein & Stern LLP) and (MDI) Conversion for the general public is NOT available. I am selling this one because of the ongoing concerns about alternate forms of fuel, plus I have a late model Mercedes CDI with a similar setup"​

That's pretty cool. Plus, it looks like one of the nicest wagons I've seen on the market. Anybody got an extra $16,000?

·
Registered
1981 300D
646 Posts
madness, but also brilliant. If it works. That car can be propelled by three different methods.

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
600 miles on a single tank of compressed air? Just how big a tank and at what pressure? And what speed would this car be capable of running on compressed air.

This looks like absolute BS to me. Simply because I know how much work I can get out of a 20 gallon compressed air tank at 120 psi. You can run an impact wrench for about 5 minutes.

·
Registered
83 300d turbo, 79 c123 AMG
1,870 Posts
I want it if it is for real. I want my own.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I don't believe it. Maybe if the air was a supplement to the fuel, sort of a canned boost, but no way can you pack enough energy in an air tank to move a car for 600 miles. If you could, I would not want to be anywhere near that tank if it exploded!

·
Registered
300SD
11,191 Posts
Lorbenzo Lammas said:
I don't believe it. Maybe if the air was a supplement to the fuel, sort of a canned boost, but no way can you pack enough energy in an air tank to move a car for 600 miles. If you could, I would not want to be anywhere near that tank if it exploded!
Look at this way:

It takes a 4 HP (3kW) (runnning) electric air compressor about 90 seconds to fill up a 20 gallon tank at 0 gauge pressure to 120 psi gauge. During this time it will use up maybe 5 cents worth of electricity. Now, it you could run 600 miles for 5 cents that would be awsome. It would also grossly violate the laws of thermodynamics.

It order to cover 600 miles in a 3,500 lb car doing say 60 MPH, you would need probably an 18 wheeler gasoline tanker size pressure vessel pumped up to say 5000 psi regulated down to say 90 psi. The weight and size of such an air tank would make this totally impractical, as to move its weight, the air would be used up quite fast. And to fill up this thing, you would probably use up several hundred dollars worth of electricity, as a large four stage air compressor would be required.

Typically air motors use a lot of air at fairly low pressure. To produce the torque required to run a 3,500 lb car at a reasonable speed, a large air motor would be required, at least 40 HP which would consume a lot of air.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts