Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,634 Posts
Was the property worth more than $8.41? Maybe he can buy back for $10

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It's not hard to find out how much you owe.
1) Go to county to get figure.
2) Write check for said figure.
3) Take receipt for payment and leave.

·
Registered
2008 AMG CLK63 Conv., 2012 R350 4-Matic, Wife's 2015 C300 sedan
9,248 Posts
It's been a problem in Texas for quite a few years - both local government and HOAs selling peoples' houses out from under them due to delinquent taxes or HOA fees. I think the latter was finally outlawed a couple of years ago, not sure about property taxes.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So?
I thought about Michigan, Michigan, Michigan!!! for the thread title, but the only person I know from there that ever visited OT was Rex.

·
Premium Member
U took the old religion from the woman on the hill.
43,646 Posts
You never really own anything in the USA. I assume property tax became so high because so few own property.

·
Moderately subtle
94 E500, 97 500SL
12,094 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it means they get to write their laws unless you want the feds to do it.

Freedom.
And here we have an article posted about a state law that is being used to fleece that state's citizens of their property, nothing more, nothing less, with comments pertaining to that state's laws and other states' comparable laws generally agreeing that state governments have some laws intending to fleece their citizens.
Then there's the one guy trying to inject some sort of federal argument completely unrelated in order to argue some point. Don't know about it, but I expect there's a "straw man" already written up to make this unrelated point.
Any tweets that reflect your thoughts on this Michigan law?

·
Registered
62,228 Posts
I just find it amusing libertarians belly ache when they don't like some state law after they preach against the feds "meddling" in state affairs.

This law was passed by the legislature and a challenge wasn't even considered by the state SC.

In Michigan, however, the practice of seizing homes over tiny underpayments of property taxes is likely to remain in place unless the courts step in. A bill introduced in the Michigan state House by Rep. Gary Howell (R–Lapeer) to reform Act 123 collected a handful of co-sponsors this year but did not receive even a committee vote.

Which means there will be more people like Uri Rafeali, who lost a home over an $8.41 mistake. His property, bought as an investment, is valued at an estimated $136,000. The penalty imposed by Oakland County was more than 8,000 percent greater than the underlying debt.

Is it right? Of course not... but your thread title was provocative enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts