Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this steering wheel for a 1989 SL?
Looks like original except for the wood that matches the wood-panel.

Does it look too modern for the car?

New price is EUR380 = approx US$380, but I can get it much cheaper.

Attachments

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it match this interior?
[img]http://www.benzworld.org/gallery/pics/1220505943720034...

Would it match this interior?

·
Registered
1989 560SEL
2,103 Posts
in general, i don't like aftermarket wood kits -- they almost always look cheesy. but i ac...

in general, i don't like aftermarket wood kits -- they almost always look cheesy. but i actually kinda like this wood wheel, and i think it'd go very nicely with your car's interior. so go for it! [:)]

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly what I thought. Generally I also don´t like aftermarket wood, chrome, large wheels...

Exactly what I thought. Generally I also don´t like aftermarket wood, chrome, large wheels etc, but I really liked this steeering wheel. Actualy its an original Mercedes product, but I have never seen it before.

Anyway, the wheel was on German ebay, and I won t he auction at 253 Euros (= aprox same in US$). [:)]

·
Registered
E430T + 300SL (W107)
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got the wheel from Germany. Wheel is not (as described in the add) an OEM Mercedes...

Finally got the wheel from Germany. Wheel is not (as described in the add) an OEM Mercedes product, but custom made from an original 107/126 wheel. Don't know where the wheel originally came from, the seller works in a garage that sells Triumph cars.

I got mixed feelings. What was described as "small scratches in the clear paint" was in fact very large cracks, plus the wood was miss-colored around the cracks and in other areas. Seller agreed to take 50 Euros of the price due to the miss-leading description but said the wheel could be fixed to perfect condition like new, and their garage would do it for 100 Euros. My carpenter friend agreed it could be fixed but it takes several hours of work to remove all clear paint, sand-paper it down, and apply new paint in several layers, letting it dry just enough (1-2 days between each layer). Something he rather not do, at least not for 100 Euros even though he is my friend. I told the seller I was sceptical of the offer to renovate the wood because of the large number of hours required for this work, until he told me they do the woodwork in Turkey (where labour of course is cheaper)! So be it. I will return the wheel and it will go to Turkey. I hope my wheel doesn't end up in an Iraqi tank...

Apart from the cracks the wheel is absolutely beautiful. Must have cost a fortune to custom order. I don't know where you get this wood that perfectly match the Mercedes interior wood. I have plans to buy a 560 SEL, and would like to make another wheel just like this one. Maybe they can do it at a reasonable cost in Turkey...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts