Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to the help of several members I was able to remove my front left fender last night.

But now I have to tackle "tapping" out the dent that caused me to go through the effort in the first place. But this is where im getting kind of nervous, as I had a go with a small hammer and towel last night and I think I caused more harm than good.

I know im supposed to use a wide head rubber mallet or something, but I lack such a tool. I could borrow one, but that's only if its completely necessary.

So what do i do? Just hit the dent in the center, or tap around it? I have no idea...

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
I would take it to a body shop and give the guy a $50.00 to do it, then go put it back on.

·
Registered
1984 300SD TurboDeisel
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i guess 2/2 is good enough.. i may get subborn and try it myself anyway.. but that depends if anyone gives me any tips on doing it first. if not i guess ill cough up the cash ><

·
Registered
Euro 1985 500SEL
1,498 Posts
The only prob is they prob want to charge you $200 to do it..nobody wants to do anything cheap on a MB anymore..or they will make up some BS reason why it costs more. If you can find one of those latin body shops that are usually in the seedy part of town, they might do it cheap. Post a free craigslist ad asking if anybody knows of one if you can't find one. Or go get that rubber mallet if you can't afford a body shop..don't take short cuts if you can avoid it..good luck! :)

·
Registered
1983 500 SEC Lorinser 1971 280se w108
1,963 Posts
Even the paintless dent removal guys dont do that good a job half the time
Very few dents can be tapped out without there being signs its been done
If the dents on an edge and not on a flat part of the panel its probly not gunna happen
And if you have already had a go you have probably done enough damage that they wont be able to do a clean job anyway :(

·
Registered
1985 500sel and 500sec 2012 E63 1989 Porsche 911
5,340 Posts
billy mays sold a suction cup device on tv to remove dents, it worked on tv and for him so it must be good

also post more pics of the girlfriend...

·
Registered
1965 220se w111 *******1984 300sd w126 *******1991 350sd w126
911 Posts
Never, never hit it from the center first, it's always from furthest away to the center and with a flat hammer and dolly. Body shops won't touch anything for under a couple hundred. Hey check out some u-tube videos, you'll get the idea. Later.

·
Registered
1986 300 SDL Turbo
65 Posts
wedding bell blues

If it's an "oil can" type dent, you may get lucky and it will pop back.
But you will still have hints of the damage.
Back in the day we drilled small holes at strategic spots and inserted a screw and pulled out the dent with a slide hammer, then came the bondo!
you can get these things that solder on and then pull out the dent,then grind off the studs.....then comes the bondo!
Prep area/remove all signs of anything
add bondo
sand bondo
add bondo
sand bondo
add feather bondo
sand with 120
sand with 220
sand with 300
wet n dry sand 400
Oh "Q$*#)%+_#_" need to add more bondo and feather smooth
Mask area to be sprayed
Spray with primer
blend primer to "old area"
Yep U guessed it sand with 600 Wet or Dry(better off wet)
Clean with ready prep(solvent type to remove geases/wax and junk)
Spray with matching color(this is where you get religion)you pray it matches
Spray with clear coat.
Not to shabby.....
Mount on car
Oh crap
it don't match......
Better get Macco:p
You can do this.
To do it well you will need the right tools and help
But you can do it!
Now by the time you have it all done
The pretty one will have hidden behind the trunk cause you keep thinking of how this got started!
Better to save a relationship and spend a couple a bucks....
Just reduce the size of the diamond ring:D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
The way you tap out a dent is to use a hammer on one side and a dolly on the other side. You then "unstretch" the metal. With the end result very slightly below the surface you add a light coat of filler and it will disappear.

·
Registered
560SL,380SL
4,012 Posts
The body shop picks and hammers are pretty good but having professional tools won't give professional results without practice, and realistically not doing this kind of work 40 hours a week, it's pretty hard to get in some practice. Nonetheless, I did manage to sharply reduce some fairly small dents with a cheap "hot glue" type bridge tool set, and on bad ones, I reduced the amount of bondo needed to fill 90% with the HF body/fender set. You don't get "miracles" but you get something - less body filler to crack later.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts