Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend just purchased a new home. In garage of the new (to him) home is an '83 240D 4-SPD with 115k on the clock, which he offered to me. I thought it would be a fun project car, don't really need it.

Here are some highlights:

1.) No keys
2.) Sat unused, unregistered, and uncared for for 10 years.
3.) Very strong mold smell inside
4.) All tires flat
5.) Body looks fairly good considering, small rust spots but overall I would say "not bad"
6.) etc., etc., etc.

So am I nuts? Should I continue through with this. Figured it would be a fun driver for the summer and/or weekends to take out to dinner or whatever.

·
Premium Member
W-1-2-3 Go!
16,161 Posts
Sounds like it was neglected. I would worry more about dried out seals more than anything.

But as with these old cars, they clean and fix up nicely. Welcome aboard. :)

·
Registered
1985 300CD Turbo coupe, 2006 E320 CDI sedan
573 Posts
High retail for a pristine '83 240D is probably under $6500. Given 10 years of neglect, you could go through twice that to achieve "pristine" on what you just described. If money is no object and you're just looking for a project, then go for it. But as an end product, the 240D just isn't a "money car".

//greg//

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
Old, slow and neglected. Sounds like a parts car to me. If you are getting it for free, accept the gift, dismantle it and sell the parts--or keep it as a parts car and look for a 300D turbo.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
bet you anything it will start right up and run like a top after a minimal investment of time getting it back up to speed. 10 years in a garage is not terrible. My 300D spent 4 years in a field, and popped off. Its taken some work to get up and going reliably, but it drove out of the field and over 100 miles home.
I had an old mazda that was the same, spent about 7-8 years sitting, flat tires, dead battery. A new battery and started right up.

Go grab an ignition and a set of lock tumblers out of a yard with a key, and replace them, and see what happens! A free 240 4-speed with under 120 thousand miles! may not take much to get such a basic and reliable platform up to speed if it does not have any lurking reason it was parked in the first place.

·
Registered
2003 Volvo V70 5 Speed
1,784 Posts
free is free. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty theres no reason you couldn't clean it up and make it a runner again for little more than the time you invest. This is of course assuming that it wasn't parked for a reason... but like I said, free is free, throw a couple junk yard tires on it, add some fresh diesel and a battery and see what you got...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Whoa!! Great forum...appreciate the feedback.

High retail for a pristine '83 240D is probably under $6500. Given 10 years of neglect, you could go through twice that to achieve "pristine" on what you just described. If money is no object and you're just looking for a project, then go for it. But as an end product, the 240D just isn't a "money car".

//greg//
My thoughts exactly. I must say I am definitely not in it for the money. I have wanted to work on a car for many years and have always had brand new ones under warranty. I have read that these cars were very reliable and quite easy to work on; I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. From my short time researching; parts seem reasonable.

Does it start?
How's the interior?
Interior, "wear wise" looks amazing. Now, there is a significant amount of "moldy stuff" on top of the leather (or whatever it is) which will come off with some cleaner. The mold stink on the other hand will require significant work me thinks. Do not have any keys but I don't think I would dare turn it over until I flush fluids and perhaps drain the fuel tank, check belts....etc.

bet you anything it will start right up and run like a top after a minimal investment of time getting it back up to speed. 10 years in a garage is not terrible. My 300D spent 4 years in a field, and popped off. Its taken some work to get up and going reliably, but it drove out of the field and over 100 miles home.
I had an old mazda that was the same, spent about 7-8 years sitting, flat tires, dead battery. A new battery and started right up.

Go grab an ignition and a set of lock tumblers out of a yard with a key, and replace them, and see what happens! A free 240 4-speed with under 120 thousand miles! may not take much to get such a basic and reliable platform up to speed if it does not have any lurking reason it was parked in the first place.
My father, whom has much more experience actually working on cars, shares a similar sentiment. He is of the belief that with about $500 we could have it on the road...I am not quite so optimistic.

free is free. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty theres no reason you couldn't clean it up and make it a runner again for little more than the time you invest. This is of course assuming that it wasn't parked for a reason... but like I said, free is free, throw a couple junk yard tires on it, add some fresh diesel and a battery and see what you got...
Been wanting to get my hands dirty for a while thought this might be the opportunity. I was thinking the exact same thing. Junk yard tires...move it to my garage, flush some vital fluids, maybe drain fuel tank (???), try to turn her over. Exhaust is a complete replace...rusted away almost completely..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like it was neglected. I would worry more about dried out seals more than anything.

But as with these old cars, they clean and fix up nicely. Welcome aboard. :)
Ummmm...BTW the Benz in your sig looks very nice; well done.

·
Registered
56 Posts
That does not look too bad. If you want to wrench on a car, that looks like the perfect candidate. If you do decide to get it going, take lots of pictures. I love watching these things come back to life:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1984 300D
492 Posts
If you've been itching to get your hands dirty, you picked the right vehicle. Go for it. You certainly don't have much to lose.

·
Registered
918 Posts
That looks like it will clean up nicely.

Regarding the key, you can purchase a new key from the dealer that will match the original ignition. You'll need to provide the VIN and proof of ownership.

·
Registered
85 300D, 84 300D, 05 Mustang GT Vert, 11 VW JSW TDI, 95 Del Sol, 88 IROC, 95 Villager, 04 Wrangler
602 Posts
I'd definitely hit it. Won't take much to get it rolling. Once it's that far, then start worrying about the stuff that'll fail. BTW, if you want to lose one of the license plates, I'd take one.

·
Registered
'83 300D
638 Posts
Not sure how it is in New York, but doing a (lost) title transfer on a car that hasn't been registered in years is a PITA out here.
In this case, I think that would be the only thing giving me a short pause on this car.

·
Registered
1983 240D, 1974 240D
501 Posts
Not sure how it is in New York, but doing a (lost) title transfer on a car that hasn't been registered in years is a PITA out here.
In this case, I think that would be the only thing giving me a short pause on this car.
is there no title to the car?

·
Super Moderator
85 Audi Coupe Quattro, 85 Audi Coupe GT, 71 BMW turbo 2002, 73 BMW 2002tii, 85 BMW 635csi
18,294 Posts
I would manually try to rotate the engine 360 degrees before I dropped a single penny.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts