Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my SL 600 and I want to bring it over to the states. However there is some problems. Is there any swedes that can check if there is a DOT number under the hood. See below.

Late model (25 years and newer) gas fueled vehicles, diesels fueled vehicles and motorcycles/scooters must have a clearly identifiable engine plate showing the same meets U.S. EPA and DOT emission, safety, bumper and theft-prevention standards, as applicable. This is monitored and enforced by U.S. Customs. Vehicles not meeting U.S. emission and safety requirements SHOULD NOT be considered for export to the U.S., as bonding fees (150% of the vehicle value) and conversion costs can often exceed the cost of the vehicle. Vehicles imported into the United States must comply to the current standards at 120 days for Safety control and 90 days for Emission control. If these times are not met, the auto is subject to export request, confiscation, destruction and a possible fine of up to US$10,000.00. PLEASE NOTE THAT VEHICLES MADE BY U.S. MANUFACTURERS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET MIGHT NOT MEET U.S. DOMESTIC EPA AND DOT REQUIREMENTS. YOUR customer MUST REQUEST A "LETTER OF U.S. CONFORMITY" FROM THE MANUFACTURER OF THEIR VEHICLE TO ENSURE IT MEETS U.S. COMPLIANCE BEFORE CONSIDERING EXPORT TO THE UNITED STATES.

Thanks
Tack
Johan

·
Premium Member
10,980 Posts
Greetings JNSL600 :nicethread:
This is an interesting topic of discussion.

After reading your post raises the curiosity as to what components/parts are different between the European vs. U.S. emmisions systems in regards to our R129s.

Good questions.

Or are we able to simply swap out the parts neccesary to meet the U.S emmissions requirements?

Is there any difference in ECUs between the US and European spec R129s?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish it was that easy. I wonder how long I could drive it around with swedish plates before popo would take me in....

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Hi JNSL600 and welcome aboard.
In my opinion you should write to MBUSA a mail specifying your VIN number and explaining your intent and concerns so they should reply with the infos and instructions to import your SL600 in the US.
Since the specs between Euro and US models are slightly different (US models have a few BHPs less than EURO specced cars) I think the ECU is different and probably the exhaust system too to meed CA emission laws. Also, in the non Xenon models the US headlights are different from the Euro ones and US R129s have different side markers and radios but since mercedes headunits are pretty crappy that's an issue you can solve buying a good radio for a few bucks.
You might also have a look at the US R129s that are on Ebay to have an idea of what the body differences might be.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
I love my SL 600 and I want to bring it over to the states. However there is some problems. Is there any swedes that can check if there is a DOT number under the hood. See below.

Late model (25 years and newer) gas fueled vehicles, diesels fueled vehicles and motorcycles/scooters must have a clearly identifiable engine plate showing the same meets U.S. EPA and DOT emission, safety, bumper and theft-prevention standards, as applicable. This is monitored and enforced by U.S. Customs. Vehicles not meeting U.S. emission and safety requirements SHOULD NOT be considered for export to the U.S., as bonding fees (150% of the vehicle value) and conversion costs can often exceed the cost of the vehicle. Vehicles imported into the United States must comply to the current standards at 120 days for Safety control and 90 days for Emission control. If these times are not met, the auto is subject to export request, confiscation, destruction and a possible fine of up to US$10,000.00. PLEASE NOTE THAT VEHICLES MADE BY U.S. MANUFACTURERS FOR THE INTERNATIONAL MARKET MIGHT NOT MEET U.S. DOMESTIC EPA AND DOT REQUIREMENTS. YOUR customer MUST REQUEST A "LETTER OF U.S. CONFORMITY" FROM THE MANUFACTURER OF THEIR VEHICLE TO ENSURE IT MEETS U.S. COMPLIANCE BEFORE CONSIDERING EXPORT TO THE UNITED STATES.

Thanks
Tack
Johan
Lol. There has got to be somewhere you can get those engine and door-sill stickers, if you don't have them already.

FWIW, I have friends who have imported/exported cars before, and at least in FL, the federal inspector spent all of a minute and a half looking at the nissan he brought in. They just verify the VIN and build plates, and visually look to see if it has a cat. That was it. Most of the hassles are paperwork-related.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys, anyone from Sweden that can check the DOT stickers?

Thanks

Johan

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Hej Johan

I think you may be out of luck with regards to your car. The DOT stickers was a poorly disguised attempt by Automobile manufacturers to prevent the private import of vehicles and killed the gray market.

If it does have one, it would be in English and clearly state that this car conforms to EPA and DOT standards.

You are better off selling it in Sweden and buying another one here.

Good luck.

Al

·
Administrator
8,707 Posts
Thanks for the input guys, anyone from Sweden that can check the DOT stickers?

Thanks

Johan
Do all of these regulations apply to a personal import????

Perhaps Chris has stumbled on the answer which is to import the car into a state where customs officers just give the car a cursory look at the VIN plate and proof of ownership!

·
Registered
4,131 Posts
Hej Johan

I think you may be out of luck with regards to your car. The DOT stickers was a poorly disguised attempt by Automobile manufacturers to prevent the private import of vehicles and killed the gray market.

If it does have one, it would be in English and clearly state that this car conforms to EPA and DOT standards.

You are better off selling it in Sweden and buying another one here.

Good luck.

Al
Riiiiiight...you're entirely correct of course...but...

Let's say just for a moment, and not that me or anyone I know would ever do something sneaky like this, that you wanted to bring the car over anyway. It's widely known that the only thing they really check for are the US-spec stickers upon import, unless there's something that clearly contradicts its being a US-spec vehicle (like RHD). If the car has the markings, they pass it and move on to the next. The only time they do a thorough inspection are when you're trying to import a euro-market car (with no cat, etc.) into the US, and even then the only thing that usually tips them off is the stickers.

If he's gung-ho about bringing it over here regardless, then he may as well at least try to slap a set of stickers on it and see what happens. If they bust him, the worst they're going to do is make him add the catalyst and us-spec turn signals, which he'd have to do anyway. And from what I hear, there's about a 99% chance he'd get away with it, especially if he brings it into a state where there are no state emissions inspections. However, if he lives in a state that does emissions testing, and it really is a euro-spec car, then he's going to have a problem somewhere down the line keeping it registered in his home state. That is unless it's like in Mass., where you can easily bribe the mom & pop gas stations that do the inspections. Worked like a charm for keeping some illegal windshield tint I had on there.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts