Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the forum several times,with no luck,so here goes. I just bought the Hirschmann antenna motor to replace the original on my '90 300E sedan. PROBLEM: How to remove the screw-on nut,so I can slide the antenna up from inside the trunk.The little rounded cap that is at the very top of the antenna prevents the removal of the little nut. Do you have to remove the mast and wire in order to do this??? Totally lost. Any help is appreciated!!

·
Premium Member
5,454 Posts
You just bought the Hirschman antenna *motor*??? Don't you mean antenna *mast*?

Assuming that you do mean mast, there's no disassembly of anything required to replace it. At least not anything inside the trunk!

If everything is as it should be, the mast tip and mast retaining nut should both protrude above the outer grommet.

You just unscrew the mast retaining nut all the way and turn on the radio. The mast will be expelled from the antenna tube.

In rare cases part of the white plastic rack inside the mast breaks off and remains inside the antenna tube or spool. If that happens you *do* have to remove the antenna from the car and take it apart.

Here's what your sedan mast should look like.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oops,maybe I didn't explain the problem clearly. I bought the WHOLE unit....that is the antenna and motor,a complete unit. I'd like to remove the 13mm nut from the top of the antenna( the nut that sits on top of the grommet when installed,as in your photo, and below the small rounded tip of the mast). The ball at the tip of the mast prevents the removal of the 13mm nut. With the nut still on the mast,I can't push the thing up,from inside the trunk and through the grommet. The nut is bigger than the hole in the grommet. I hope this clears up the situation. Thanks.

·
Registered
662 Posts
To remove the entire unit, you must remove the antenna first upwards and out of the car as described by augapfel (the nut at the base is actually part of the antenna mast) and then pull the main unit down into the car, freeing the antenna tube from the grommet seal by pulling firmly downwards. A power connector plug, an earth wire, the antenna lead itself and finally a mounting nut must all be disconnected first before you can pull the old unit free.

When pushing the new unit up through the grommet, take care that the rubber of the lower grommet section remains seated properly around the hole in the wing, and that it's not perished or hardened with age. If in doubt, buy a new grommet too (cheap, easy to fit) and use a little silicone sealant between the two grommet halves and between the grommet and the bodywork when you fit it. Rust around that hole in the wing should be avoided at all costs (shudder).

Once the new unit is bolted into position, connected and working, replacement of the new mast is the last job... this can be a little tricky. You have to feed the toothed plastic tail of the new mast back into the spool of the motor unit, and get it to engage correctly and wind in as the motor's running. It really helps to have someone in the car to switch the radio off for you while you're in position with the new mast as the motor begins to retract. It may take a few tries but persevere, it will work when you get a feel for it. The toothed edge of the tail should face towards the front of the car as you feed it in. Once it engages properly and winds in, just tighten the exterior nut at the base of the mast and you're done.

For anyone wanting to avoid buying a whole new aerial unit (there are so many other more critical parts for a 124 owner to spend their money on, after all) consider servicing the original. It's actually a pleasure to work on, simple to take apart and reassemble even for the mechanically challenged (like me). I recently brought mine back from the dead with a good clean / degreasing of the internals and a new plastic gear wheel from ebay (I found that the original was missing some teeth which I imagine is a common fault.). Give it a go - if your mast isn't operating properly anyway you've nothing to lose and the chances are you'll spot the problem in no time.

Attachments

·
Registered
662 Posts
Having re-read your last post, the simple answer is... you can't remove the nut from the mast and the mast therefore can't be fitted from inside the car but must be fitted into the motor unit from outside as described above. Sorry for the long-winded version earlier!

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
on my 1990 300E 2.6, the whole antenna assembly WITH the mast screw in place can be pulled out the bottom and reinserted... from the bottom. the screw is not bigger than the two piece rubber gasket things.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on my 1990 300E 2.6, the whole antenna assembly WITH the mast screw in place can be pulled out the bottom and reinserted... from the bottom. the screw is not bigger than the two piece rubber gasket things.
Then the same should be true for my 300 3.0. I hope/assume you're right on this. To me.the screw appears larger than the grommet hole...I assumed it would have to be,in order to keep rain,etc. from running down inside the grommet,along the mast. I don't mean to quibble with you,but doesn't that make sense? I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
there's a black plastic sleeve with a ball on it thats stuck through the two piece rubber gaskets... the ball is the seal, such as it is. the 'nut' is no bigger than this black plastic sleeve. the black rubber gasket you see on the outside is stuck over a smaller black rubber gasket, the two pieces like lock together.

inner rubber seal piece:

outer rubber seal piece that fits over the inner piece (both are installed from the top side, you put the inner piece on first, then the outer, then stick the antenna up through both from underneath)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
there's a black plastic sleeve with a ball on it thats stuck through the two piece rubber gaskets... the ball is the seal, such as it is. the 'nut' is no bigger than this black plastic sleeve. the black rubber gasket you see on the outside is stuck over a smaller black rubber gasket, the two pieces like lock together.

inner rubber seal piece:

outer rubber seal piece that fits over the inner piece (both are installed from the top side, you put the inner piece on first, then the outer, then stick the antenna up through both from underneath)
So glad you checked in on this problem....thank you,thank you! Just read your post,went out to my car with renewed confidence,applied a little lubricant to the antenna...bingo!...elapsed time-39 seconds!!! A mole hill out of a mountain.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Clarification please?

1989 300TE

Seals on my antenna are toast. Radio has never worked; ditto for antenna.

So, I can't turn on the radio to extend the mast to do any of this at the moment, but rather than kluge the seal with some goop (or worse), I'd like to replace these two seal parts.

1) If I understand correctly, without powering up the mast, I can detach the assembly from the inside, slide out of position..
2) Slide from top over antenna end, first the inner seal, then the outer seal.
3) Then slide all back into position and bolt in place?

Also need to apply silicon sealant to seals before assembly, yes?

Or must the inner mast be pulled out before the assembly can be withdrawn into car?

Need to get this done to prevent leakage issues before a radio R&R at some point down the road.

Thank you!

·
Registered
963 Posts
As long as the mast is fully retracted into the base, it is removed from the inside of the fenderwell. The only things that will not pull out from inside the vehicle are the inner and outer seals. it's real easy. When you get the seals out, look at the part#s molded into the rubber. I found out the hard way that MB made several sizes of antenna seal sets for 300Es and got the wrong ones twice before I took the old seal back to the dealer and told them" I dont care what the EPC says, these are the seals on My car". Hopefully they had only one size for TEs, but don't count on it.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
the wagon might be a little different than the sedan, but I don't think its that different. those rubber parts I referenced were for a 1991 300E sedan. apparently they changed the antenna 'rake' a couple times, but on a wagon, the antenna goes straight up and down AFAIK. I know on my /volvo/ wagon (shh!), they use the same motor assembly for the sedan and wagon, and the same 'stick' for the antenna, but on the wagon, the motor is down under the rear deck behind the fender well, and there is an extension 'tube' that the antenna feeds through, while on the sedan the motor assembly pokes right up through the fender.

·
Premium Member
6,735 Posts
ah. factory instructions
http://w124-zone.com/downloads/MB CD/W124/w124CD2/Program/Chassis/82-8105.pdf

the benz wagon isn't like the v*lv* wagon... on the V*lv*, the antenna comes out of the top of the D pillar at the roof line, the D pillar is much more vertical than the benz W124 'TE as are the side windows. on the 300TE, its still coming out of the fender.

sooooo. probably should ignore what I said a couple posts ago about benz wagons, hah!

·
Registered
283 Posts
If it's like the 300d it's 2 parts, inner and out. About 20 bucks for both on ebay. I'd guess you can get it cheaper elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
People still use the car antenna? Why?
thanks ...i hate not have EPC access...stupid limited cell phone cdma BS switching
GSM phone is your friend.
There is a solution for that. It's called a computer w/ broadband internet access.:D:rolleyes:;):D
Funny, I just canceled the "broadband" cable internet at home because tethering off my cell phone is faster, cheaper and more reliable.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts