Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2381 - 2400 of 2412 Posts

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
This NYT feature article is FAR too long for a "cut and paste" job in my opinion but it's excellently written and a good read overall.

If anyone's interested, please give it a read. You may find it enlightening. :thumbsup:

I Wanted to Know What White Men Thought About Their Privilege. So I Asked.
My college class asks what it means to be white in America — but interrogating that question as a black woman in the real world is much harder to do.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/17/magazine/white-men-privilege.html

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
^^ Thanks for posting that article. It was an interesting read. The first situation with those two White men cutting in front of her was disturbing. The question she wondered about with the second one--had that other group of White men trying to make their own parallel line been instead a group of Black men--was a very good one, indeed. I suspect the outcome wouldn't have been as positive.

I've had attempts in the past at similar discussions with White females, especially White feminists, thinking--hoping--that their "progressive" politics might allow themselves to be open to looking at White privilege. Nope. Change the subject, get outta Dodge, try to discredit the non-White person who dares to bring it up in their presence--much like today.

I wonder what Prof. Rankine's results would be were she to make similar attempts with White females, as a comparison point against her efforts listed in the article with White males. Would they end up with similar negative responses as my attempts have been? As my mentor's successor (Black female) at my alma mater's have been?

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Well, at least that's ONE more down anyway. A few thousand more to go though.

The pity is he'll probably be sporting a badge somewhere in NJ by the end of the week.

New York City Police Department Fires Officer Who Killed Eric Garner
Daniel Pantaleo’s use of a fatal chokehold on Garner in 2014 sparked a nationwide outcry.

The New York City Police Department announced Monday that it is firing Daniel Pantaleo, the officer who put Eric Garner in a fatal chokehold in 2014.

The announcement comes more than two weeks after the judge presiding over Pantaleo’s disciplinary trial made a nonbinding recommendation for his dismissal. The choice ultimately fell to NYPD Commissioner James O’Neill, who said he made his decision in the last few days.

“None of us can take back our decisions, most especially when they lead to the death of another human being,” O’Neill said in a news conference Monday announcing Pantaleo’s firing.

Last month, the U.S. Department of Justice said it would not pursue federal civil rights charges against Pantaleo, whose deadly use of an illegal chokehold on Garner ― who cried out “I can’t breathe” ― set off national outrage. The DOJ’s decision was announced right before the applicable five-year statute of limitations expired.

New York City’s Civilian Complaint Review Board, which prosecuted the disciplinary case, agreed with the judge’s recommendation that Pantaleo be fired.

“The evidence the CCRB’s prosecutors brought forth at trial was more than sufficient to prove that Pantaleo is unfit to serve,” the board said in a statement. “Commissioner O’Neill must uphold this verdict and dismiss Pantaleo from the Department.”

O’Neill said Monday that had he been the person arresting Garner, he could have made “similar mistakes.” Ultimately, however, Pantaleo did not follow protocol when dealing with a person resisting arrest and must face the consequences, O’Neill said.

“Being a police officer is one of the hardest jobs in the world,” the commissioner said. “That is not a statement to elicit sympathy from those we serve, it’s a fact.”

“But an officer’s choices and actions,” he added later, “even made under extreme pressure, matter.”

His decision comes one day after The New York Times published a previously unseen opinion from Judge Rosemarie Maldonado, who recommended the firing. It said Pantaleo was “untruthful” during interviews with investigators following Garner’s death. Most notably, Maldonado took issue with Pantaleo denying he used a chokehold even after the officer was shown a video of his encounter with Garner....(EDIT: Once again "Who you gonna believe? ME or your lyin' eyes?"}
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/daniel-pantaleo-eric-garner-fired-nypd_n_5d445ee5e4b0ca604e3162e9?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000047&utm_source=bv_fb&utm_campaign=hp_fb_pages&utm_medium=facebook&fbclid=IwAR19zNKYpCBByqG1Kqnjz3K1vlfqzKIqUs0CQhpLWQba2uNqX-meTlM1BAc&fbclid=IwAR3E96PrbBVvk8-Xkws9Kzdm31UWVh4DJgXbOVhqpsRRy-uQGFx6TGYgVO4&fbclid=IwAR0uujZh4YwNdsfClEV-4m0Uh3esac1uBzgHvNTGrpVBW1aE2ZLN3d6PkmQ

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
^^ Or Chicago. Or Los Angeles. Or my beloved San Francisco. Or Atlanta, Jacksonville, Ferguson, Dallas, or any host of other places, come to think of it. Seattle PD might not hire him only because they were just recently under Federal investigation for just this sort of police-power abuse, and this guy's too high-profile now.

But you're probably right. This Daniel Pantaleo fellow will likely have another job lined up very soon. Remember that Al Gore had former LAPD Sgt. Stacey Koon (one of the Rodney King beaters) working for him as a chauffeur for a couple of years, until that fact hit the news.

Yes, that's right. Al Gore had Stacey Koon working for him. Way to go, Mr. Progressive, Pro-Civil-Rights Democrat...what a hypocrite.

Al Gore will not talk about Being Chauffeured Around By Ex-Cop Stacey Koon ? Tony Vera Home Page

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
He's walking away free...

Garner yelled “I can’t breathe” 11 times during the incident as officers pressed him into the sidewalk. But it was not until after the officers heard Garner’s pleas that they called for an ambulance. Paramedics awaited several minutes before giving Garner oxygen.

Garner was pronounced dead shortly after arriving at a local hospital, dying of what the city’s medical examiner called a “lethal cascade of events” begun by Pantaleo’s chokehold and ending in a cardiac arrest. The death was ruled a homicide.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
Police detectives use Photoshop to alter a suspect's lineup picture to make him more closely resemble eyewitness descriptions of bank robber.

There’s no mistaking the elaborate tattoos that cover Tyrone Lamont Allen’s forehead and right cheek. But when Portland police suspected Allen was involved in four bank and credit union heists, and none of the tellers reported seeing tattoos on the face of the man who robbed them, police digitally altered Allen’s mugshot. They covered up every one of his tattoos using Photoshop.
https://www.oregonlive.com/crime/2019/08/the-case-of-the-missing-tattoos-altered-photo-lineup-by-portland-police-draws-objection.html
The standard law enforcement tool is under ongoing scrutiny. This example floored Jules Epstein, a law professor at Temple University and leading national authority on eyewitness testimony. In his 40 years as a lawyer and law professor, Epstein said he’s never heard of something so blatantly suggestive.

“It’s unbelievable to me that police would ignore the fact that no teller has described a person with glaring tattoos and make this man into a possible suspect by covering them up,” he said. “They’re increasing the risk of mistaken identity.’’

Mistaken eyewitness identifications remain a consistent thorn in the criminal justice system’s side. They have contributed to about 71% of the more than 360 wrongful convictions in the United States overturned by post-conviction DNA evidence, according to the Innocence Project.
Then there is this gem:
Acting Lt. Brad Yakots, a police spokesman, said the bureau “does not create suggestive lineups” and the decision to cover up Allen’s tattoos was done in this case to “prevent misidentifying the suspect.”

The Innocence Project not only documents many incidents like this but also actively provides pro bono legal aid to those who may be wrongfully convicted. I support the group with regular financial donations and I urge others to check out their website.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
^^ Altering evidence for any reason is bad news.

As for the Innocence Project, they're the ones who helped get Brian Banks's wrongful conviction expunged. They do very good and necessary work.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
i may not agree with the action but I will defend his right to do it
this is America !
lets not forget the constitution and the bill of rights.
I hate nazis but I respect their first amendment rights.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Inciting violence isn't protected by the first amendment, perhaps you can show me a Nazi rally that isn't inciting violence
Be careful. @oefvetw124lover makes a good point here; as evil and detestable as Nazis are, even they maintain their Constitutional rights, too. The actual test that the SCOTUS established in Brandenburg v. Ohio is as follows:

These later decisions have fashioned the principle that the constitutional guarantees of free speech and free press do not permit a State to forbid or proscribe advocacy of the use of force or of law violation except where such advocacy is directed to inciting or producing imminent lawless action and is likely to incite or produce such action.
The key word here is, "imminent". Merely saying "go forth and do violence at some indefinite future period" is not enough to ban such speech. Again, Phil Donahue was right.

Fortunately, we have an example of what looks like a very effective way to deal with such hateful speech. I'm referring to the way they dealt with it in Dallas, Texas a few years ago, such that nobody got hurt.

The dirtbag White supremacists took off pretty quickly. Imagine that......

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Another example of why they Take The Knee. This time, it was a pregnant woman using a coupon at the local store (Target). Police called.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts

The dirtbag White supremacists took off pretty quickly. Imagine that......
Personally, I would in the strongest possible terms suggest they leave the NOI/FOI alone.

They aren't gonna play that shit with crazy White boys. They will only react if provoked but "react" they will.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Exactly, Doni. And I think these crazy White supremacists realized that. The honeybees will leave you alone if you leave them alone...but don't provoke 'em.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
“White Supremacists”? When have those dirtbags actually made the news?
...other than the Libs claiming that they are somehow recently “enabled”.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
An example of them making the news is the very article that I posted.

That said, I do notice "crickets" from the likes of CNN and the other national news stations/Web sites. It's basically only local news organizations (local CBS affiliates and such), the Dallas Morning News, and other smaller outfits that apper to have done any serious reporting on it. Interesting that Anderson Cooper was all over the Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus, and Michelle Knight story...but I'm not seeing similar material for this protest against the White supremacists...and there should've been, given the nature of BAIR's evil and the response of the people to it.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
I found this video from the 1950's describing suburban "White flight". In light of today's (2019) DeKalb County, Georgia residency patterns, it seems that "White flight" remains a thing. The big difference today is that, back then, even a single "Negro" family was unwelcome in a "White" neighborhood (still viewed that day by some White police officers). Nowadays, a few might be "tolerated" by the majority racial group, but once it gets to a certain percentage, White flight ensues.

I would also note the interviewing style. Straight questions, while giving the interviewee the opportunity to fully answer the questions, without cutting them off. We need more of that interviewing style today, I think.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
The more things change, the more they stay the same, here's a quote from this documentary:

Some view the incident calmly, with an acceptance of the facts, but for others the Meyers moving into suburbantown constitutes an infringement on their liberties.

This is the same playbook they use today, as if gay marriage infringes on their rights, or barbecuing while black infringes on their rights

Fucking cunts all of them

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
Dear Hollywood,

Please be informed that not every "hero" in a film has to be some White guy.

A hero of another color in Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center" has some people again balking at the whitewashing of a black character in a Hollywood film.

Jason Thomas of Columbus, Ohio, helped rescue Port Authority police officers John McLoughlin and Will Jimeno on 9/11. In Oliver Stone's movie, "World Trade Center," a white actor was cast to portray Thomas.

This time it's the character of Marine Sgt. Thomas, one of two former Marines who help rescue New York Port Authority Officers Will Jimeno and John McLoughlin from beneath 20 feet of twisted metal, broken concrete and sparking debris in the aftermath of the Sept. 11 attacks.
In the film, white actor William Mapother -- who's Tom Cruise's cousin and who played Ethan Rom in the first season of "Lost" and Quecreek miner John "Flathead" Phillippi in ABC's "The Pennsylvania Miners' Story" -- plays Sgt. Thomas.
Last week, the real Sgt. Thomas -- a black, former Marine named Jason Thomas of Columbus, Ohio -- came forward and told his story.
"Someone needed help. It didn't matter who," Thomas told the Associated Press. "I didn't even have a plan. But I have all this training as a Marine, and all I could think was, 'My city is in need.' "
So, instead of heading to class at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice at City University of New York that fateful morning, he headed toward the devastation. At ground zero, he ran into another ex-Marine and Connecticut accountant, Staff Sgt. David Karnes, and the two decided to search for survivors. Eventually they found Jimeno and McLoughlin.
Karnes, who couldn't reach Manhattan's 911 from his cell phone at ground zero, called his sister in Munhall, Joy Karnes. She helped relay information to New York emergency services that helped them pinpoint the trapped men's location.
Film producer Michael Shamberg apologized to Thomas for the racial inaccuracy in the film, saying they realized the mistake only after production had already begun, the Associated Press reported.
That apology comes a bit late for Paradise Gray, 42, of Wilkinsburg who sent out e-mails to hundreds of thousands via African-American list serves and Internet groups, such as the Luv4Self Network yesterday calling for a boycott of the film.
"You want to apologize to me?" Mr. Gray says. "Stop it."
Black men so rarely are portrayed or presented as heroes in popular culture and the media that when the opportunity to do so arises, they should be, he says.
"It's so natural for Hollywood to assume that every hero is a white man," Mr. Gray wrote in his e-mail. "Hollywood has always changed facts and edited history. From Charlton Heston as Moses and Elizabeth Taylor as Cleopatra. They are only continuing their tradition of whitewashing our history."
He also criticized the black community for not speaking out more. The Jewish community's mantra is "never forget" while the black community's mantra is "forgive and forget," he said. The black community should speak up every time this happens.
Six years ago, there was a similar controversy surrounding color-blind casting in the film "Pay It Forward." Kevin Spacey's white burn victim in the movie actually was a black Vietnam veteran in the book.
Though disappointed his character in the "World Trade Center" movie wasn't black, Thomas, who lived on Long Island during the attacks and now works as an officer in Ohio's Supreme Court, told the Associated Press he's not upset.
"I don't want to shed any negativity on what they were trying to show," he said.
The movie is much bigger than him, Thomas told the New Pittsburgh Courier, and it's the people who lost their lives who need to remembered.

2381 - 2400 of 2412 Posts