Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2361 - 2380 of 2412 Posts

·
Moderately subtle
12,047 Posts
Exactly my point. Had the guy been white, the father with the kid would have never paid any attention nor made a call to the cops. There would have been no need, no danger perceived.

As to the rest of the post... words are nice, actions are even nicer. The poster in question has a habit of claiming he's not racist or bigot, yet, has a knack of defending for some nominal reason those that are.
He didn't say the father with the kid would have never paid any attention, etc., he said the media wouldn't have latched onto the event.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
As to the rest of the post... words are nice, actions are even nicer. The poster in question has a habit of claiming he's not racist or bigot, yet, has a knack of defending for some nominal reason those that are.

As the "poster in question" I feel compelled to respond to your implication that I'm a racist. You dont have the balls to say it explicitly (plus you know that it will make you sound like an unreasonable pud if you do) so you just float the implication that I'm a white supremacist sympathiser and hope others will infer it.

It's interesting to me that you have a habit of actually doing yourself exactly what you falsely accuse others of doing. Like strawman arguments, personal attacks, and constant innuendo.

Surely you remember when another poster implied that you were a pedophile. On principle, I stuck up for you and slammed him down for crossing the line and acting like a shameful POS. I've stuck up for others as well, under similar circumstances, and it doesn't matter to me how close or how far apart we might be politically.

It's baffling to me how you can't see the hypocrisy inherent in your practice of casually tossing out accusations of racism whenever you dont agree with or understand or like what someone else has to say or when you get called out for saying something stupid.

Understand this: accusations of racism are at least as serious as accusations of pedophilia. Perhaps more so.

So stop being an asshole and take it off of your playlist of things to say when you want a cheap and easy way to try to shut someone up.

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
He didn't say the father with the kid would have never paid any attention, etc., he said the media wouldn't have latched onto the event.

Because... for the millionth time... had the guy been white, the father with the kid would have never paid any attention nor made a call to the cops. There would have been no need, no danger perceived.

He did, he was caught on tape... fill in the rest.

·
Registered
61,958 Posts
As the "poster in question" I feel compelled to respond to your implication that I'm a racist. You dont have the balls to say it explicitly (plus you know that it will make you sound like an unreasonable pud if you do) so you just float the implication that I'm a white supremacist sympathiser and hope others will infer it.

I don't have to say anything, you've proved me right many times. In this very thread you have defended/excuse slavery because... hey, others did it too. And a racist asshole who thought it was the race police.

And then the many other examples, this one being one of them...

https://www.benzworld.org/forums/off-topic/2875697-america-should-condemn-antifa.html

@The Proctologist, I can't quote you but you included this about hbar as part of a larger post...

Every time I start thinking you might be alright you pull some bullshit out like this, you and I agree on so much than fwoop, booooolshit...

seriously, a fucking third grader wouldn't take your side of this argument, lessen he was raised wearing white sheets

The point being he's not on my side nor am I on his... for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
In this very thread you have defended/excuse slavery because... hey, others did it too.

This just proves beyond doubt that you're too dimwitted to understand the relatively complex ideas that normal adults usually discuss. Your comment is a textbook example of a strawman argument - you've misrepresented my statements and then attacked your own misrepresentation.

No rational, intelligent adult could possibly read anything I've ever said, anywhere, and believe that I'm defending or excusing slavery. And even more ludicrous is the idea that I would ever argue that evil acts committed by some are justified because others also commit them.

Please do yourself a favor and go be stupid somewhere else less visible to reasonable human beings.

·
Moderately subtle
12,047 Posts
Because... for the millionth time... had the guy been white, the father with the kid would have never paid any attention nor made a call to the cops. There would have been no need, no danger perceived.

He did, he was caught on tape... fill in the rest.
I was correcting your misinterpretation of what Proc said, and nothing more. And, yes, it was a misinterpretation.

·
Registered
9,166 Posts
We're talking about it for a few reasons:

It wouldn't have gotten media attention if the guy woulda been white
It's likely it wouldn't have risen to the level of a cop telling a mother with her children "I'll blow your fucking head off" for something that any one of us could've paid for by the change under our car seat had the mother-in-question not been a Woman of Color in America.

Long sentence...but concise.

Y'all can debate if such constitutes "racist" or not. I think such a debate falls under the category of "mental masturbation."

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
It's likely it wouldn't have risen to the level of a cop telling a mother with her children "I'll blow your fucking head off" for something that any one of us could've paid for by the change under our car seat had the mother-in-question not been a Woman of Color in America.

Long sentence...but concise.

Y'all can debate if such constitutes "racist" or not. I think such a debate falls under the category of "mental masturbation."
That literally has nothing to do with my statement

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
Hbar has tried to explain it like 50 times since I've been here, and his experience has been mocked and de-legitimatized. It's like if @cowboyt was explaining his experience with racism and bigotry to a feminist Liberal and she said, "you can't understand what it's like to be oppressed because you're not a woman, only women understand what it's like to be oppressed"

You know that look he'd give her? That incredulous look as if to say "are you fucking kidding me?" and he'd walk away without even trying to explain because you can't reach that level of stupidity?

I look at you and Cowboys posts like that every time you guys shit all over HBar for trying to explain he actually understands and he's on your side, and I don't even bother trying to explain, because at that point you're suffering from "terminal uniqueness", nobody can understand what it's like to be you, and actual medical condition I find to be as irritating as Trumpesque" whataboutism. HBar has consistently decried racism and offered support, he's been unwavering yet I see slavering attacks on him for his racism and xenophobia where none exists, he explains calmly again and again, but nope, RACIST!!!!

anyhow, carry on
When did I shit all over hbar?

And you're right about the look I'd give such a feminist, BTW.

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
When did I shit all over hbar?

And you're right about the look I'd give such a feminist, BTW.
You don't hit him as hard as others have but you have absolutely invalidated his experience a few times when he has tried to explain he understands somewhat what it's like to be discriminated against. Just kinda pointing it out, it may have been unconscious, but it always bums me out when I see allies experience invalidated, I get to hear that BS how I will never understand what it's like to be discriminated against or to be the subject of racism when I have been on the wrong side of that shit my entire life, it wasn't until I cut my hair and donned a white collar disguise did the SFPD stop beating me over the head with sticks and I stopped being put in jail every weekend (I've been to jail about 100 times when young, like literally 100 times).

A longhair from SF in Texas, a Texan in SF, the only white kid in multiple schools, a Haole in Maui, it wasn't until I was in a FD in my late 20's did I end up on the "right side" of the "good ole boy" network.

TL;DR Many of us DO understand what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry and racism, and no, we will never understand it to the extent that you do, but we understand it enough to be on your side, on decencies side, please take a minute and think before responding to us when we reach out with something other then being condescending, that's not aimed at you in particular, but to everyone who thinks white men are incapable of receiving or understanding racism. I have actually seen racism against "white men" celebrated on this forum in Hawaii, how is that ANY different than white men celebrating racism in Tennessee? Racism is Racism and it's fucking bullshit no matter WHO is doing it. period.

I remember being absolutely fucking appalled when my good friend Eric, his wife and kids and friends were heckled in Stinson for being black, I was soooo fucking embarrassed, and being equally embarrassed for my white friends when they were subject to racism for being in the "wrong" neighborhood. That shit needs to stop, period, full stop.

Some of us are truly on your side, hell my great great grandfather lost 5 brothers in the civil war, the only one that survived was Chauncy's father, my great grandfather (He fought in the Spanish Civil War against Franco) anyhow...

·
Registered
6,999 Posts
It probably helps that I have about 50 "local" cousins over there now, probably more, my grandmothers sister married a black aviator in the 40's so she moved there since that was more acceptable there than elsewhere in the US at that time, her kids married locals, and they grew up and married locals, who married locals...so my people go back there a few generations and are all "locals" now, The one I know best is Bubba, he's about 6'5" thereabouts. My sister and I lived there in the 80's, my mother lived there in the 50's, how bout you? How much family you got there? Where are your roots? Are you just some guy who moved there, bought a house, married a local girl and now considers himself a "local"? just kinda wondering, where were you born?

This is a group of my cousins who came to visit us for my cousins Geoffreys wedding (he lives on the big island now) in 1968, they made quite an impression on me

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1109.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

Racism has no place on our planet except to cap on your friends, it really doesn't

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
Have we reached the bottom yet.?:(

Thus was from the 1st page of this thread in 2017, in response to a Trump tweet where he said football players who kneel should be fired by their team owners.

Considering his body of tweets in the past 2 years, I would say the answer to that question is a big fat NO.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
You don't hit him as hard as others have but you have absolutely invalidated his experience a few times when he has tried to explain he understands somewhat what it's like to be discriminated against. Just kinda pointing it out, it may have been unconscious, but it always bums me out when I see allies experience invalidated, I get to hear that BS how I will never understand what it's like to be discriminated against or to be the subject of racism when I have been on the wrong side of that shit my entire life, it wasn't until I cut my hair and donned a white collar disguise did the SFPD stop beating me over the head with sticks and I stopped being put in jail every weekend (I've been to jail about 100 times when young, like literally 100 times).

A longhair from SF in Texas, a Texan in SF, the only white kid in multiple schools, a Haole in Maui, it wasn't until I was in a FD in my late 20's did I end up on the "right side" of the "good ole boy" network.

TL;DR Many of us DO understand what it's like to be on the receiving end of bigotry and racism, and no, we will never understand it to the extent that you do, but we understand it enough to be on your side, on decencies side, please take a minute and think before responding to us when we reach out with something other then being condescending, that's not aimed at you in particular, but to everyone who thinks white men are incapable of receiving or understanding racism. I have actually seen racism against "white men" celebrated on this forum in Hawaii, how is that ANY different than white men celebrating racism in Tennessee? Racism is Racism and it's fucking bullshit no matter WHO is doing it. period.

I remember being absolutely fucking appalled when my good friend Eric, his wife and kids and friends were heckled in Stinson for being black, I was soooo fucking embarrassed, and being equally embarrassed for my white friends when they were subject to racism for being in the "wrong" neighborhood. That shit needs to stop, period, full stop.

Some of us are truly on your side, hell my great great grandfather lost 5 brothers in the civil war, the only one that survived was Chauncy's father, my great grandfather (He fought in the Spanish Civil War against Franco) anyhow...
I don't see how I invalidated his experience here. I simply pointed out mine just as he pointed out his. I actually referenced his experience, if you re-read what I said. It is most certainly true that he would've been treated almost like a celebrity (hbar and I happen to be about the same age) in Seattle. The cops would've mistaken him for a rock star. Most people did with a guy who looks like either him or you did back then. That's really what I saw. Hence my surprise at his description of his treatment by police; as I said, maybe that's how Chicago was. Very different from Seattle, or San Francisco for that matter.

There most certainly are White people on "our" side, i. e. the side of those who believe in truly fair justice, and some of them are even blonde. :) One example of a White person who is on the side of fair justice is former Pres. Jimmy Carter. I wish more people would look up to him and follow his example.

Another one is Tony Bennett, whom the wife and I will have the honour of going to see soon in performance. Frank Sinatra's another one, as is Tony Curtis.

There are unquestionably those who have attempted to actually invalidate what hbar has shared here, and that is wrong. It is likewise wrong, I think, to either overtly or through implication claim that he somehow supports racism or is a racist. That's just stupid.

One danger is to come off as, "hey, I've been discriminated against, too, and I'm White!" The implication here is, "you 'brownies' are playing the RAAAACE CAAAARRRD! You shouldn't be so overly sensitive! Don't make a race thing out of everything!" This happens far, far too often, as I think we all here know. I've mentioned my mentor's successor, who experiences exactly this from her White female associates (she is Black) whenever she brings up "shopping while Black" incidents. It really does get tiresome, hence Doni's understandable frustration (and mine, for that matter) when we read about incidents like how this Cukor fellow acted. It looks just too familiar, too much like "Pool Patrol Paulas" or "Barbecue Beckys". GreenT's assertion is not absolute as he claims it to be. However, it is, unfortunately, likely, given what we see about "Existing While Black" calls to the police.

^^^ Thanks, I rest my case

So racism is only bad when the other side does it?
Nope, it's bad all around, no matter who does it. I have called many a Black person on racist behaviour, be it anti-White, anti-EastAsian, anti-Latino, or otherwise. There's a scene in the movie, "Jungle Fever" that I'm always reminded of. Dad and I saw the movie when I was in my early 20's. It's when Flipper's wife Drew, played by Lonette McKee, was in their "War Council", and one of the women said she didn't care what color the man was; she simply wanted a good man. Drew said, "naw, I *ain't* the rainbow-fuckin' kind!" And every other Black woman laughed along with her in agreement. I thought, "waitasec...isn't that kind of race prejudice exactly what we're supposed to be fighting *against*?" I asked him that very question, and he heartily agreed.

Other situations happened in college, too. The most common excuse for hateful speech? "It's not racism! It's a *response* to racism against *us*!" No, that does not excuse stuff like, "fuck all White-ass honkies!", or "fuckin' kill the next White person we see!" "Yeah, right on, brotha/sista!" I tried to be a moderating voice, to significant disapproval. It was for that reason that I ultimately resigned from the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) and never went back, and I did so with a bit of a heavy heart. But I cannot abide by that kind of hypocrisy when you say you're for civil rights, but you call for the death or injury of an entire class of people, and get pissed off when someone points out how wrong that is. Jimmy Carter's not just White, he's a White Southerner; what, do they want to kill him, too? Yet today I see so many of these same Black people wearing Washington Redskins paraphernalia and cheering for a team whose name is a form of the word, "nigger". WTF?

Same for when I would see racism from, for example, the Korean population in various places that I've lived. I've seen it when I would go into Korean grocery stores or Korean restaurants. So be it; they obviously don't need my money. Seems that if you're not East Asian, i. e. you don't look like they do, then you're not really human (though White is apparently somewhat acceptable). This was explained to me by my college friend (happens to be American of Korean descent, and is a proud American citizen) as some crazy belief in so-called "racial purity" that he mentioned is part of the culture (he is also fully bilingual). That may be acceptable in Korea, or Japan, but not here. My friend himself doesn't subscribe to that nonsense...but his mother definitely does (I met her). Yes, I did speak up, respectfully (she is an elder, after all), but firmly nonetheless. Eventually she got it, but it took some effort. Seriously, I thought I might as well be speaking to an antebellum "missy", just the Korean version; it was surreal.

You're right. Racism is bad no matter who does it. And we should oppose it wherever and whenever it happens, not just when it happens to, say, "our" group...whichever "our" group happens to be.

·
Registered
4,262 Posts
By the way, @proc, I realize that's an older photo, but still, your cousins are gorgeous. I'm already married, but just sayin'.

2361 - 2380 of 2412 Posts