Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2403 Posts

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Good. One less thug...with a badge.....on the streets.

Atlanta cop fired after assaulting a Black mom over a traffic ticket (video).

There is an opening in the Atlanta Police Department after a veteran officer was fired. The APD announced that Sgt. James Hines has been terminated over his actions during a May 10, 2019, traffic stop that was caught on video.

The video shows Hines, brutally yanking Maggie Thomas from her car, slamming her to the ground, punching her in the face and deploying a stun gun. All of this in the presence of her 4-year-old daughter who is heard screaming in terror. Thomas was stopped for speeding and the video of her arrest was uploaded to social media and went viral. After viewing the video and the circumstances of the arrest, charges were dropped against Thomas by prosecutors. Thomas and her lawyer plan to bring further legal action because of this encounter.

The Atlanta Police Department released the following statement: “Accordingly, the chief of police directed the Office of Professional Standards to immediately begin investigating the circumstances surrounding this incident. Following its investigation, the Office of Professional Standards determined that the force used during the arrest was unnecessary and inconsistent with Atlanta Police Department training. Subsequently, Sergeant Hines was dismissed from employment on May 17, 2019.”

https://rollingout.com/2019/05/23/atlanta-cop-fired-after-assaulting-a-black-mom-over-a-traffic-ticket-video/?fbclid=IwAR3H7TevcanxrMDM90iJxPQO5NMwHfB00HTJXFFexckPI33cA1iOvsUojSs

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
This neanderthal lost his job as well.....+

White mall security guard brutalizes Black pregnant woman (video)

A violent incident at a Texas mall has many people questioning the use of force by a mall cop. A video was posted to Facebook that shows a mall security guard, violently trying to arrest a woman who is very pregnant in the company of another small child and a male companion.

According to a Facebook post, the woman was complaining to an Auntie Anne’s food vendor at the Hulen Mall in Fort Worth, Texas. The soon-to-be-mom was trying to get a refund for her purchase. The woman complained that her hotdogs were burned, but the cashier refused to give her a refund and mall security was summoned. Instead of trying to defuse the situation, the unidentified security guard proceeded to arrest the woman and attempted to place her in handcuffs. The pregnant woman fought back against the restraints and her male companion attempts to intervene as her small child screams in fear. At one point the guard maced the woman in her face.

The video has gone viral and now that mall security guard is out of a job. According to WFAA-News, Hulen Mall officials stated that the security company, Allied Universal, was at fault. In a statement, they said the guard was terminated because he “did not use the correct protocol in dealing with one of Auntie Anne’s customers.”[

The woman was not injured in the attack and local police have not filed any charges against her or the security guard.
https://rollingout.com/2019/05/22/white-mall-security-guard-brutalizes-black-pregnant-woman-video/?fbclid=IwAR3G4BHGW_sU2u0_AkKOh0SA9VXJtagdcAtN3fmvkiY1kKZJlf73MpnD2lQ

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
A Police Department Sent Almost Every Officer On Duty To The Home Of The Black Woman Listening To A Malcolm X Speech 'Too Loudly'
Local law enforcement seized her electronics in front of her children and issued her a $500 fine.

On the night police raided a North Carolina woman's home for a noise complaint, there were only 10 officers on duty, nine of them were at her home.

On May 16, Mikisa Thompson's home was searched and raided by police after her white neighbor, Don Barnette, claimed she was playing a Malcolm X speech too loudly. Garner Police Officers confiscated a MacBook, an HP laptop, a computer monitor, seven iPhones, computer speakers, an alarm clock, and charging cables around 10 p.m.

In a statement sent to The Indy, Captain Joe Binns defended his officers’ actions by stating a speaker was turned in the direction of the neighbor’s home.

“Our officers did everything they could at the time to try and bring a peaceful conclusion to this issue before seizing the speaker,” Binns wrote. “First, we warned Ms. Thompson and asked her to turn it down. When she refused and received a second complaint, we issued her a citation for violation of the ordinance. And finally, when she continued the loud and unreasonable noise, a search warrant was obtained and the speaker was seized.”

Additionally, Binns said he and his officers were not entirely sure what offended Barnette. Officers assume it was both the volume and the actual content of the Malcolm X speech that riled up the 65-year-old.

According to The Indy, the noise ordinance has vague language that allowed police to decide if the accused violated the law. The time in which the ordinance is in effect is between the hours of 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. Police were called out at 10 p.m. Barnette claimed Thompson played the speeches as early as 7 a.m. but there is no evidence confirming his accusations. The relationship between the two neighbors has been hostile for some time.

The 65-year-old's labrador retriever reportedly killed Thompson's Yorkie in a previous incident. Additionally, in April, Barnette called the police on the Thompson for a similar alleged noise violation.

As a Black person, Thompson feels the police are targeting her family. Garner Police had a previous run-in with her daughter, Takiyah, who was among the activists in the Durham protests in 2017. Since the raid, the victim and her family have relocated to a hotel.
Pity she doesn't have a studio in her house. I would've run the stuff though my monitor system....subs and all!

https://blavity.com/listening-while-black-police-raid-womans-home-after-white-neighbor-complains-she-was-playing-malcolm-x-speeches-too-loudly?fbclid=IwAR3oY3HHNfiuOmA_y4UjMw8nrqSBlcfoPSlAcDA8pUwfnAurxdu_Nj_oq74

Attachments

·
Registered
880 Posts
Pity she doesn't have a studio in her house. I would've run the stuff though my monitor system....subs and all!

https://blavity.com/listening-while-black-police-raid-womans-home-after-white-neighbor-complains-she-was-playing-malcolm-x-speeches-too-loudly?fbclid=IwAR3oY3HHNfiuOmA_y4UjMw8nrqSBlcfoPSlAcDA8pUwfnAurxdu_Nj_oq74[/QUOTE

Might not be fair to blame the old white guy, hearing Malcolm at loud level must have scared the bejesus out of him and WTH else could he do but call the cops. When they heard it was something to do with Malcolm X they went it full panic mode, some scary shit going on there!

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
Oh, and don't forget that the speaker "was turned in the direction of the neighbor’s home." OH NOES!!!!

Sounds like an old-school White Southern racist to me, defended by White Southern racist cops.

Well, given that there are neighbors on all sides of my own house--and that all of my neighbors are White--I guess that justifies sending 90% of the police force to my home instead of the neighbor just simply knocking on the door and asking if the volume of my jazz music (you know, "Black music"?) could be turned down some. Yeah, I know--actually being *neighborly*?

There is an unofficial frat house in my neighborhood. They're generally pretty considerate. One night, the music was a bit loud. No problem; they were simply asked to turn down the music some. They did, problem solved. Oh, wait--the neighbor (White female) who did this has seen the fraternity members (all are also White). Now, this is nothing against the frat boys; like I said, they're generally very good neighbors and respectful young men. Rather, I wonder what this particular (White female) neighbor would've done had it been, say, an Alpha Phi Alpha house....

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Now, this is nothing against the frat boys; like I said, they're generally very good neighbors and respectful young men. Rather, I wonder what this particular (White female) neighbor would've done had it been, say, an Alpha Phi Alpha house....
....or Kappa Alpha Psi....my frat! NUPES UP IN HEAH!!! :devil

We possibly would've had helicopters hovering over the house!

·
Registered
9,156 Posts
Back on topic....the carnage continues.

WATCH: Cops Open Door to Home, Don’t ID Themselves, Kill Innocent Unarmed Teen and a Dog
An innocent unarmed teen was playing video games on a couch when a police officer opens the door, without announcing himself and kills him.

San Antonio, TX — Charles “Chop” Roundtree Jr., 18, had never had a run in with police and had never had so much as a speeding ticket. Despite being entirely innocent and unarmed, however, he was gunned down last year by San Antonio Police officer Steve Casanova. Now, as the family asks for answers, body camera footage showing the teen’s unnecessary death has been leaked to local media.

The incident happened on October 17, 2018 when police were called out to a neighborhood for a complaint at the home of Davante Snowden. When officer Casanova opened the door to Snowden’s house, he never announced himself and instead simply shined a light, yelled “lemme see your hands,” and then started shooting. Roundtree was shot in the chest and died inside the home as he played video games on the couch.

“It’s a very unfortunate tragic incident that happened,” Police Chief William McManus said after the shooting.

According to police, the bullet grazed Snowden and then hit the innocent unarmed Roundtree in the chest.

As the video shows, Casanova is dealing with a couple who says a man fitting Snowden’s description assaulted a man. When police respond to Snowden’s house, Casanova walks up on the porch, pulls open the door and began firing. Never once did he announce himself as the police.

Casanova said that Snowden pulled a gun on him, but this is not evident in the video. What’s more, Snowden had no idea who was at his front door shining lights into his house pointing guns at them, so he naturally would’ve wanted to defend it from a home invader.

Geary Ramey, a law professor and police adviser agrees and described to KENS 5 the mistakes made by the officer.

“He certainly needs to identify himself quickly because he’s wearing a dark uniform. This is in the middle of the night,” Ramey said. “So it’s not going to be clear to anyone who is on the porch.”

Indeed, as the body camera footage shows, Snowden asks “who is it?” just before Casanova tells him to show his hands and fires.

“There’s nothing at the point of the shooting that would justify a use of deadly force in order to make an arrest,” Ramey said.

We agree.

After Casanova shot Snowden and Roundtree, he ran back out into the street where he joined up with his fellow cops. At this point, a dog runs out of the house and is seen walking toward another officer before that officer opened fire, killing the dog.

When the cop kills the dog, all the officers then begin to yell conflicting orders at the rest of the people in the home.

“Hey! What’s going?!” yells a woman.

“Hey…stay in the f***ing house!” Casanova says.

“Get in your house and you won’t get shot!” another cops says.

Contradicting the other officers, another officer then yells, “Come out of the house, guys! We’re not leaving until you come out!”

Eventually, one by one, the occupants emerge from the home, showing the officers that none of them are armed. Luckily, no one else was shot.

Snowden would be the only person arrested that night for felon in possession of a firearm. It is unclear as to whether or not he actually had the firearm on his person when Casanova opened fire. No one has been charged for the death of Roundtree.

Patricia Slack, Roundtree’s mother, recalled the last conversation she had with her son. She told KENS 5 that she didn’t want him to leave that night.

“And the last thing he said was, ‘I love you and I’ll be back,'” she said.

“I want his uniform taken away. I want him to pay the same price we have,” Slack said.

Sadly, however, the SAPD has a long history of violent and criminal cops who are almost never held accountable. This is likely the reason that Casanova is still gainfully employed with the department and has yet to face so much as a slap on the wrist. In fact, the original police report listed Casanova as the victim and the innocent unarmed Roundtree as the suspect.
https://thefreethoughtproject.com/innocent-teen-killed-by-police/?utm_source=getresponse&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=rssfeednewsletter&utm_content=The+Free+Thought+Project+Newsletter&fbclid=IwAR3WPzrmd26kYpWxa3VzLsi3lSqYA2vhAh9AiVsj010-0pWbNEAZQv-zTwc

·
Registered
9,037 Posts
^^ Like you said before, this is America.

Look at the victims again.

I mentioned this before, but it's relevant to this news story.

A couple of years ago my cover band played a private birthday party on a Sunday afternoon for some friends of our guitar player. They were a black family and the party was an outdoor BBQ with about 80 people there.

The headlining band featured a jazz guitarist who was in his 60's and somewhat retired but had been a full time professional musician who toured the world with some famous names.

My band played for about an hour and a half (classic rock covers) and then the main band went on and played their stuff. James Brown and a lot of 60s and 70s soul music.

The cops showed up and said there were complaints and they were in violation of the noise ordinance. This was ridiculous because this was a rural area the nearest house was hundreds of yards away. The guitar and bass were playing through a couple of 25 watt practice amps and the drums weren't even miced. It was about as loud as a portable radio.

The guitarist got pissed and started arguing with the cops. He pointed out that no one complained when we were playing our rock music but as soon as James Brown started, people call the police. He actually got in the face of one of the two officers and his friends had to pull him away and force him to sit down. The cops looked really uncomfortable. One of them said he thought the band sounded great and he was sorry that someone complained but he was just doing his job enforcing the noise ordinance.

It threw a pall over the party and most people left.

The one bright spot for me was the jazz player complimented me by saying I played bass just like "a brother".

·
Registered
61,562 Posts

LOS ANGELES, California—The five men who were arrested as teenagers, falsely convicted, sentenced to years in prison, and eventually exonerated for the rape and assault of a white jogger in Central Park in 1989, have never been keen on the name “Central Park Five.” They avoid the phrase when possible. It was not a moniker they chose, but one given to them by the press: by outlets that regularly printed their legal names, though all five were underage; by tabloids that often failed to write “allegedly” when describing their charges; by papers that ran full-page ads from a playboy real estate developer with latent political ambitions, attacking them in huge black font: “BRING BACK THE DEATH PENALTY.”

Friday afternoon, at the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California’s 25th Annual Luncheon, where the five men were being honored, much care was taken to orient the celebration away from that phrase, and toward the five people it had obscured: Korey Wise, Antron McCray, Yusef Salaam, Kevin Richardson, and Raymond Santana.

As actor Michael B. Jordan introduced the five honorees, he retold the famous story for the crowd. “It was East Coast news, but a familiar story to anyone growing up black in America,” Jordan said. “We didn’t know their names, but we knew their ages: 15, 14, 16—the same ages we were. They could be us.”

SCALES OF JUSTICE
Ava DuVernay: Why I Treated Trump as a ‘Footnote’
Marlow Stern

SEEN
Central Park Five Prosecutor Takes Fire Over Netflix Series
Lloyd Grove

“In 1989, police found the body of a young white woman in Central Park, covered in blood, and left for dead after a sexual assault. Weeks later, Trisha Meili awakened from a coma. She was unable to recall her attack. But the police had already been rounding up suspects, questioning black and brown teenagers who had been in Central Park that night. They focused their interrogation tactics on five boys in particular. Four of those teenagers did not know each other when they were arrested. I repeat, four of those boys did not know each other when they were arrested.”

The men had come to receive the inaugural Roger Baldwin Courage Award, and to accept another on behalf of director Ava DuVernay, whose recent Netflix series When They See Us retold their decades-long legal battle. DuVernay had won the ACLU’s annual Social Responsibility in Media Award—an irony lost on no one, least of all Yusef Salaam. When Salaam took the stage to accept her award, he introduced himself with a new name: “I am one of the Exonerated Five.”

“After decades of being known as the Central Park Five, we thank Ava for acknowledging our humanity and telling our story with honesty and factual representation,” Salaam said, during his speech accepting her award. “We had to struggle to break the label that the media gave us. We stumbled forward, falling on our face at times.”

“It was almost as if they were trying to find someone from the darkest enclaves of society to come into our homes, drag us from our beds, and hang us from trees in Central Park.”
During his speech, Salaam recalled when the media had been less humane: when columnists called them a “wolf pack,” and when Pat Buchanan insisted that if only “the eldest of that wolf pack were tried, convicted and hanged in Central Park, by June 1, and the 13- and 14-year-olds were stripped, horsewhipped, and sent to prison, the park might soon be safe again for women.”

Salaam lingered on the full-page ad taken out by the man currently occupying the White House.

“Korey [Wise] said it so well,” Salaam said. “He said, when Donald Trump took out that full-page ad, and put them in all of New York City’s newspapers, calling for our execution, he placed a bounty on our head.”

“They had published our names, our phone numbers, and our addresses in New York City’s newspapers. Imagine the horror of that. Just step backwards once, to the 1950s—we would become modern-day Emmett Tills. It was almost as if they were trying to find someone from the darkest enclaves of society to come into our homes, drag us from our beds, and hang us from trees in Central Park.”

As he spoke, Salaam took long pauses. At one point, an aide emerged with a fistful of tissues. “I’m not ashamed to cry in front of you,” he said. “These are tears of pain. These are tears of joy. We are the heroes of this story.”

This mofo still hasn't apologized even after all these years...

·
Registered
61,562 Posts
Nobody is safe...

A former secret service agent's lawsuit claiming that two U.S. Park Police officers unlawfully detained him because he is black, causing him to miss a motorcade for a Cabinet secretary, can move forward, a federal judge ruled Monday.

Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Hicks was waiting in his Chevy Impala on a Maryland interstate at about 6 a.m. on July 11, 2015, to join then-Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson's motorcade when U.S. Park Police Officer Gerald L. Ferreyra approached.

Ferreyra "drew his gun, pointed the weapon at Special Agent Hicks, and began screaming at him," according to a lawsuit filed by Hicks in federal court in Maryland about a year later.

Hicks, who has since retired, was a 20-year Secret Service veteran at the time and was assigned as the Baltimore lead advance agent for Johnson's motorcade that day.

Hicks' Secret Service-issued car had a police antenna and a strobing bar, and he quickly told Ferreyra that he was a Secret Service agent, explaining that he was on duty and waiting to lead a motorcade, his lawsuit said.

Hicks handed over his credentials, which Ferreyra inspected while still pointing his gun at the agent. But after he confirmed Hicks was, in fact, a federal law enforcement officer, he didn't let him go and instead called for backup.

U.S. Park Police Officer Brian Phillips arrived and acknowledged that Hicks was a Secret Service agent. But the two men detained Hicks for over an hour, repeatedly telling him that he was not free to leave, Hicks' lawsuit said. During the detention, Ferreyra yelled at Hicks and "spoke to him in a degrading manner."

The motorcade passed about a half hour into the ordeal, slowing to allow Hicks to join, but he couldn't, the lawsuit said, adding that one of the officers on the scene "mockingly waved his hand goodbye at the motorcade as it passed."

When a supervisor arrived, he acknowledged that Hicks was a Secret Service agent and that he hadn't done anything criminal in nature, but didn't explain why Hicks had been held for so long.

Hicks was finally released, and unable to catch up with the motorcade, when he was pulled over again by Phillips, according to the lawsuit.

Phillips asked for Hicks' identification and car registration "despite just having had possession of these documents, and continued to talk to him in a demeaning and degrading tone with no possible justification," the lawsuit said.

When another officer spoke with Phillips, he decided to release Hicks "but not before throwing his identification and registration at him."

Phillips said he didn't recognize Hicks when he pulled him over after the initial detention, and did so because Hicks was on the phone and the car was swerving. Law enforcement officers can legally be on the phone while driving, and Hicks said he was not driving erratically.

Ferreyra said he had first approached Hicks' car and drew his weapon because there was a gun on Hicks' seat, according to court documents. Ferreyra maintains that he told Hicks he was free to go before the motorcade arrived.

Both officers argued that the lawsuit should be dismissed on the basis of qualified immunity, which protects police from civil damages as long as their actions are reasonably lawful and don't violate anyone's rights.

But U.S. District Judge Paul Grimm ruled that the officers have not proved why they couldn't let Hicks go before the motorcade arrived. Grimm wrote in his decision that the officers knew Hicks was a Secret Service agent at least 15 minutes before the motorcade passed, and could have easily determined through "a simple Google search" that he was authorized to have a weapon in his vehicle.

"It is clearly established that detaining a person under these circumstances — when the officers had a reasonable suspicion that criminal activity was underway but, after some investigation, became aware that no criminal activity was happening at the scene — is a violation of the individual's Fourth Amendment rights," Grimm wrote, while determining that parts of the suit should go to trial by jury.

Hicks said he "suffered, and continues to suffer, significant embarrassment, humiliation, emotional distress, and the deprivation of his constitutional rights."

"In addition to the manner in which defendants spoke to and treated him, it was particularly humiliating to be held on the side of the road as his colleagues passed by. That he was subjected to unlawful treatment because of his race compounds his emotional distress," Hicks' lawsuit said.

Hicks is suing for compensatory and punitive damages, to be decided by the jury.

Sgt. Eduardo Delgado with the U.S. Park Police said that he could not comment on pending litigation, but that both Ferreyra and Phillips were still employed with the department.

Attorneys for Hicks, Ferreyra and Phillips did not immediately respond to requests for comment regarding Grimm's decision.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/judge-refuses-dismiss-secret-service-agent-s-suit-alleging-he-n1017126

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
^^ My question: given the nature of the Secret Service's job, why weren't his fellow Secret Service agents filling these local Keystone assholes full of lead? Didn't said local Keystone assholes just increase the security threat to Sec'y Johnson by their actions? Last I checked, that was grounds for gettin' your ass shot *by* the Secret Service!

·
Registered
61,562 Posts
(CNN)Law enforcement agencies in Dallas and Florida on Thursday became the latest to announce they are investigating allegations some of their employees made offensive comments on Facebook after a watchdog group compiled screenshots of the posts and shared them in an online database.

Since its founding in 2017, the Plain View Project says it has compiled images of more than 5,000 social media posts and comments by more than 3,500 current and former police officers in eight jurisdictions throughout the US.
Researchers obtained rosters of police officers and then looked them up on Facebook, according to the project's website.

After examining the profiles to confirm they belonged to police officers, they reviewed public posts and comments to see if they would "undermine public trust and confidence in police."

So far, two police departments, one sheriff's office and one circuit attorney's office have announced they are taking action:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/20/us/plain-view-project-police-investigating/index.html
https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/19/us/philadelphia-social-media-officers-leave-trnd/index.html

·
Registered
61,562 Posts
Can we agree that the qualifications to become a cop are way too lax? When just about every racist, dumbed down, inbred, psychopaths, who are basically borderline sociopaths and the detritus of society can get a badge and a gun... we have failed.

A man whose bid to become a police officer was rejected after he scored too high on an intelligence test has lost an appeal in his federal lawsuit against the city.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New York upheld a lower court’s decision that the city did not discriminate against Robert Jordan because the same standards were applied to everyone who took the test.

“This kind of puts an official face on discrimination in America against people of a certain class,” Jordan said today from his Waterford home. “I maintain you have no more control over your basic intelligence than your eye color or your gender or anything else.”

He said he does not plan to take any further legal action.

Jordan, a 49-year-old college graduate, took the exam in 1996 and scored 33 points, the equivalent of an IQ of 125. But New London police interviewed only candidates who scored 20 to 27, on the theory that those who scored too high could get bored with police work and leave soon after undergoing costly training.

Most Cops Just Above Normal The average score nationally for police officers is 21 to 22, the equivalent of an IQ of 104, or just a little above average.

Obviously being a cop is a huge responsibility and you need serious training and a rigorous selection process, that's why the power and weapons afforded to them should be based on much higher standards.

2281 - 2300 of 2403 Posts
About this Discussion
2.4K Replies
49 Participants
GreenT
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing