Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,337 Posts
The cost of the airbag + labour is prohibitively expensive to purchase (They claim to have none available) on the empty promise of a recall fix that could be years down the line. Simply put, I can’t tie up $7500+ CAD for 2 or 3 years for a “maybe.” and like condoms, airbags are something best bought new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
$7500?, gee they are taking a bite, Yes they are best bought new, when there is a Takata airbag recall, but second hand non Takata affected airbags are fine just like a unused condom 😁.

I dont know what style airbag you need, but there is a UK seller selling New Genuine Mercedes steering wheel airbags, well actually all model airbags, $400-600 AU, so would be even cheaper in your $, I doubt he would be selling Faulty bags, as its illegal world over to sell known Faulty Takata airbags.
https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/m.html?_odkw=&_ssn=sat_nav_deals&hash=item3b1e2300ed:g:27oAAOSw3v5XIx-L&item=253908680941&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=airbags&_sacat=0

Might be worth sending a email to check for peace of mind, they take 5 minutes to install, and when it comes around to recall time you can refit the old one, all the time driving around knowing you are safe, what price do you put on your safety?.

People are afraid of these things, there is nothing to be afraid of, I have removed literally thousands of them, and replaced as many, they dont just go off, they need to be set off, But if you are still a little shy, you can disconnect the battery for 10 minutes beforehand to make sure the system has no power.

The only time you need to be afraid of them is if its a recalled Takata airbag and your about to have a accident.

The airbag system is a very smart system, it needs the right inputs before it will detonate, it will not detonate just sitting there giving it a whack, the system is designed that it needs to be moving at a certain speed, it knows if there are passengers and it needs the right impact to set it off, this is why you see some cars that are involved in a accident and the iarbags have not deployed, the impact was not enough or the car was not moving.

·
Premium Member
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 2012 C300 4Matic Sport / 2006 CLS500 AMG
2,337 Posts
Yes, $7500 CAD was the quoted price. I nearly fell over so fast I could have used an airbag!

$3000 for the new airbag, $2500 for installation, $1000 for “coding” (which is BS, I can do this myself in minutes), $200 diagnostic fee + tax and “shop supplies.”

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah having a gouge at you because they can, $3000 for a $500 part, $2500 installation for a literally 5 minute job, Diagnose what?, what coding? airbag is plug and play unless it has been detonated, shop supplies? what coffee and cake for the workers?.

See these Stealerships play us as fools with cash to splurge, I only go to a dealer as last resort, and its usually for print outs of the airbag system, because I have to as the licence center will not accept a print out from anyone else.

Last car I took to the dealer 3 weeks ago for Airbag print out, I knew it was ok as I have my own scan tool and had gone through the whole car, so i already knew that it was fine, when I get there the service adviser tells me that "there will more than likely be codes that they have to check out and clear, and that could take up to 4 hours", I just replied with "I have already scanned the car and it is all fine, I just need the print out from a dealer as the licencing department will not take my word for it, plus it should only take your tech 20 minutes because that's all it took me to do, I dont mind paying for a hour as that's your minimum charge".
His only reply was that he will tell the tech that it has already been scanned and come up fine, he will call me in a hour when its done :).

I would just buy the UK one and fit it myself, there are Utube vids on how to remove, its just 2 small indents at the back of the steering wheel, you have no choice but to pierce them with a small flat blade to push the spring clips back for the airbag to pop out, can be fiddly, but once you feel the spot you know, then its only a connector and the earth for the horn, then clip the new one in once plugs reattached .

Dont give the stealerships your hard earned, they already got enough when you purchased it.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts