Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2013 C300 Sport
1 Posts
Got a letter from MB saying I will be notified when parts are available.....Hopefully I do not get hit while waiting.

·
Registered
2002 Mercedes ML320, 132k
262 Posts
While the airbags may have several defects, the big recall addresses degraded propellant that generates the gas. Heat and moisture hurt it, with some consideration to how often hot, humid air is draw into the bag assembly (say, by changes in temperature). So if the car lived in southern Florida all its life, that's a bigger concern than dry Nevada. The mixed-weather mid-Atlantic states aren't a huge concern at the 5-year point. I believe replacements are being allocated somehow in recognition of this relative risk.
Of course, probability is one thing, and having your wife or kid in the adjacent seat is another.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
M.B.Au8stralia has been very quiet about the Takata recall.
The U.S. required a compulsory recall of over 800,000 MB vehicles.

See this : https://blog.caranddriver.com/mercedes-benz-recalls-841000-vehicles-for-takata-airbags/

M.B.A is currently investigating their position.

Safe to say that a list will be forthcoming now that the Australian government has made the Takata recall a compulsory recall - including German made Takata bags.

If you check the U.S. list above you will see that the W204 will be indeed included. Even other models going back to 2005.
This of course asks the question. Will the airbag refit cost more than some of the actual models current value?

·
Registered
1992 190E 2.3, 2013 C250 Sport
17 Posts
While the airbags may have several defects, the big recall addresses degraded propellant that generates the gas. Heat and moisture hurt it, with some consideration to how often hot, humid air is draw into the bag assembly (say, by changes in temperature). So if the car lived in southern Florida all its life, that's a bigger concern than dry Nevada. The mixed-weather mid-Atlantic states aren't a huge concern at the 5-year point. I believe replacements are being allocated somehow in recognition of this relative risk.
Of course, probability is one thing, and having your wife or kid in the adjacent seat is another.
Guys -- I'm totally freaking out about this.

Yesterday I met a business owner whose wife was killed by a Takata airbag -- horrifying.

The dealer (Mercedes of Melbourne in Florida) isn't giving me any information, nor a loaner which I believe they should be required to do... what are they going to do, tell me to continue to drive with a spontaneously combusting bomb in front of me?

If you read the docs from MB it's both drivers' and passengers' side airbags; so it's not like I can just not use the passengers' seat.

My car is sitting in my office parking garage; I refuse to use it under this unsafe condition and am really unsure how to proceed.

Anyone else in this predicament?

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,018 Posts
Old thread but we are getting notices from our local dealer/Mercedes “to bring your vehicle in as soon as possible. This safety recall is a result of airbag inflators that may improperly deploy with excessive force which can severely injure, or even kill in the event if a crash.”

I will do a service/oil change before I bring it in lest they sucker me into paying them a large sum to do it....

·
Registered
12E350, 12ML350, 08C350
461 Posts
Finally our 2008 C350 (my son driving it now) the TAKATA air bag was replaced by FJ MB (Newport Beach CA) 2 weeks ago. He got the air bag replaced FREE, but the car need service B + CEL is on (they replaced the solenoid), total for the bill is almost $1K, but for the recall (after 5 years) it is done. I feel a lot better...after waiting for a long time for this recall...to be done with.

·
Outstanding Contributor
'85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
3,018 Posts
Finally our 2008 C350 (my son driving it now) the TAKATA air bag was replaced by FJ MB (Newport Beach CA) 2 weeks ago. He got the air bag replaced FREE, but the car need service B + CEL is on (they replaced the solenoid), total for the bill is almost $1K, but for the recall (after 5 years) it is done. I feel a lot better...after waiting for a long time for this recall...to be done with.
Ray Shroeder was my SA for the E63 when I brought her in for a 4 year service. (I had purchased the car CPO there). At 22k miles, he did not try to sell me anything that the car didn't need. I had to twist his arm to get him to do a transmission fluid and filter change, which is due per the manual due to the 4yr mark. (Unfortunately this basically doubled my cost). If it weren't for budget constraints I would go back to him in a heartbeat. Nowadays I DIY....

·
Registered
2007 C220 CDI Avantgarde W204
68 Posts
MB in Perth (Western Australia) did my recall free of charge. Just read Takata have gone broke, so it is up to Merc to fix the problem free of charge.

·
Registered
'04 W211 E240, MY10 W204 C300
825 Posts
If you have a car with a non common interior colour - e.g. - two tone brown, there maybe a delay in getting your car done.
We have had three cars done but a W204 wagon has a custom interior. It's been at the shop 3 times but always hasn't had the stock available to get the job done. it's booked in for the 19th of this month.

·
Registered
2009 SL550
96 Posts
Not sure if I grazed over what might have given me the answer but if one bought a used MB vehicle* from a dealer (Mercedes or not) or from a private seller that is the focus of a recall - how would you know? I doubt that Takata has a team of workers that are searching VIN numbers on registrations or property tax rolls of affected vehicles and then mailing these 'current' owners recall information. How about salvage yards? Want to buy a nice steering wheel or dashboard from a mystery car??
The vast majority of the motoring public don't subscribe to an automotive forum, automotive publication or even a news paper that would pass on such information warning them of a potential danger and a recall. Answering my own question, it looks like the only way to notify the public would be through the DMV (they have the VINs that are tied to an address) but they have enough chaos without adding this burden. Happy motoring.

*Any vehicle manufacture

·
Registered
Current: 2014 red C300 4MATIC; former: 2002 Magma red C230 Kompressor sportscoupe
109 Posts
Check your VINs, folks. I got an email from NHTSA yesterday about *another* Takata recall, this one for the passenger side air bag. And this is an add-on to the deadly shrapnel recall that affected millions of cars last year. It you routinely have front seat passengers you need to pursue this ASAP.

·
Registered
Current: 2014 red C300 4MATIC; former: 2002 Magma red C230 Kompressor sportscoupe
109 Posts
Did mine back in October its great
The *passenger* side? Interesting. According to a letter I got from my dealer earlier this month -- at least five weeks after the NHTSA email -- the parts aren't available yet and there's no timetable.

·
Registered
1990 C250 4matic
8 Posts
second letter saying recall pending but no parts.It has been 2.5 year since I received the first letter from MB Canada.
No end in sight

·
Registered
1999 C280, 2000 C280, 2000 C230K,2011 C300
639 Posts
I am in Los Angeles. 2011 Mercedes C300. Just got my notice to actually make an appointment for the repair. Been getting the "We'll let you know" updates for the past 2-3 years.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts