Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just a comment. My 2012 E350 that still looks great and runs well. No reason to buy new yet. Got two recall letters the last two years without any way to get the work performed. Parts not available. Contrast this with Ford and my 2013 Boss 302 Mustang. They have sent numerous emails but since it's a weekend joy ride driver I just didn't get around to it. Ford is now yelling at me to get it fixed! Last week I got yet another letter AGAIN warning of serious injury and even death if I don't get it replaced. Today Ford texted me, with a number to call, asking to please make an appointment so I did. Unlike Mercedes the parts are here and the passenger airbag will be replaced next week. The difference in how these two companies are handling this fiasco is a sharp contrast and very disappointing.

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,857 Posts
It has nothing to do with Ford or MBZ. No auto manufacturer makes its own airbags. This is a 3rd party supplier issue. Tens of millions of airbags need to be replaced. It takes time to manufacture them My guess is the suppliers likely go for the "big win" first, i.e. the largest orders get filled first. There are many times the number of Mustangs or F150's on the road as there are MLs. Most manufacturers did route supplies to the southern states first as heat an humidity play a large role in failures.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I understand that, I think we all do, hence why one manufacturer has effected so many brands. Three years, in my opinion, is too long when other manufacturers, working with the same suppliers, are replacing airbags in cars with much higher production numbers. I fear someone I care about as a passenger may one day get injured because of this.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I think the NTSB has some influence on the distribution as well. I think they have some of the areas wrong as far as climate as well. They also screw people by not allowing them their cars repaired in states where parts are available in excess. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
18,857 Posts
Three years, in my opinion, is too long when other manufacturers, working with the same suppliers, are replacing airbags in cars with much higher production numbers.
That's exactly what I was saying. Cars with higher production numbers are going to get replacement airbags first. It's cheaper (per unit) for suppliers to make 5 million Honda Accord airbags vs. 150,000 Mercedes-Benz ML airbags. They setup the largest and most profitable production runs first, then work down to the smaller ones. Having said that, our ML's airbag was replaced last year, so they are obviously in the supply chain. Now it may be a matter of geographics.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Yeah it’s a pretty big mess. Honda is still blowing me up about getting my wife’s Pilot in to get the passenger air bag replaced. I’ve even filled out the no longer own paper work too and they still call. My brother in law even had to have the ones in his odyssey replaced twice because the first replacement set was bad as well. What a mess indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41 - 46 of 46 Posts