Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 E320
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i got the light malfunction....i hate that "1 malfunction" when you turn the car off....

so i checked my lights and as it turns out my passenger side brake light went out...no problem right...wrong, after picking up the correct light from the local dealer i found that hey...it still wont work....the light itself is fine so is the bracket that clips in as i tried them on the driver side light....i cleaned the connections with some rough pads, but still no go....can the wiring on just one light go out....all the other lights work great, but it seems like its just that one bulb....not sure what to do....if i have to replace the tailights all together im okay with that...kinda like these http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-0...006QQitemZ160107521788QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW .....just dont know what to do...

Please advise.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
"OEM approved manufacturer?" Which manufacturer would that be? Could they be approved by some OEM other than M-B, like say, the original manufacturer of the lights? Somehow, I bet this is the case. Note the broken english in the advertisment, and the failure to specify the brand or even country of origin.

I bought exactly one part for my 210 from an ebay seller, and had to replace that with the factory part 9 months later due to failure. That was the M-4 auxiliary fan. The ebay seller did offer to replace it, but the replacement would have been the same crap that he sold me originally.

·
Registered
2001 E320
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i like tinkering with the look ....i know the parts arent exactly OEM MB, but i dont really care.....it looks less stuffy with slight cosmetic mods.....im in college and i dont wanna be driving the luxury family sedan....MB built a great car, but my taillight isnt working so they didnt do a perfect job.....back to the question though....any clues on what the problem might be so i dont have to put JDM parts on a Mercedes...

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
I think the wiring on just one light can go bad, but are you sure the connection is good and tight? I doubt that this could be due to a fuse, but it wouldn't hurt to check those too.

·
Registered
2001 E320
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cleaned my taillight assembly.....this seemed to fix the problem, its a shame how sensitive those contacts get after only 6 years....whatever the malfunction warning is gone and my baby has fresh wax.....im happy

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
It was a sad occurance of accountants helping to design the car. It's a known weak point. I don't know if an aftermarket assembly would be any better though.

·
Registered
2001 E320
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think those where the same accountants that designed the window regulators......my girls all better though....

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
masokolson said:
i think those where the same accountants that designed the window regulators......my girls all better though....
No question about it. I rarely use my rear windows anyway, which is a good thing. The front regulators are much better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts