Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys new to forum as have just taken over my fathers 2010 ml350 cdi, amg sports Easy lift tailgate not lifting. Located pressure pump under spare. In perfect condition and working however no oil in reservoir though Checked in wheel arch where fuse box is and found oil at the bottom of well.

Found some oil on the pressure lines that come our from the pump. Looks like it’s been leaking for a while and has plossibly affected the keyless go module which is very close to the pressure lines. Can anyone advise where the actually power arm that these lines go to is housed?? I need to check where the lines enter the lift motor to see if it’s something I can fix?? I can refill oil easily enough, just need some advice on the motor in the hinge area that actually powered the tailgate up and down. Picture or diagrams of it’s location will help. My keyless go and push button start also doesn’t work most likely because of the oil on module. I”ve done all the usual troubleshooting re the keyless go system however looks like module also affected. Regards Rob

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,822 Posts
So you are saying that there is no oil where the pump is but there is oil by the fuse box, correct?

Please post a photo of where the oil is.

By the way, did you just buy this vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bought off relative no warranty. Oil reservoir in tailgate pump dry but I can hear it working. The two lines that come from the pump that then go up behind the KeylessGo module in the fuse box area have oil on them which has dropped over keyless go module and pooled near the bottom of the side wheel arch well. I’m trying to find where the two lines go up too so I can see if leak in line or where I presume it connects up into the tailgate lift arm assembley which is somewhere in the side rear pillar I presume. Any info where it is and how to get to it will help. For everyone’s info absolutely no oil in the tailgate pressure pump area just in the neighbouring wheel arch well. I’ll try get some photos and post once I figure out how to do it. Cheers and thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For info the two black lines that cross over the yellow wire then go behind KeylessGo module are covered in oil. I’m trying to find where these two lines go. I know they come from the pressure pump under the spare wheel area Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The area around the pump is dry no sign any oil Can’t be the pump under the spare wheel as the oil would have to defy gravity and go on the outside of the two pressure lines up over 40 cm to where it last dropped onto the KeylessGo module. There is a leak in either the line up near the actuator arm that lifts and lowers the tailgate or in that actual unit. There is no leak at the pressure pump!

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,822 Posts
Rob, to remove the Hydraulic Unit harness lines is a monumental task as everything in the rear must be disassembled.

You have to make a decision to disassemble and then see what is damaged, then you must buy the harness hoses which includes the pump, which is very expensive. You cannot buy the hoses separately.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
02 ML320 06 ML500
16,822 Posts
One other question. Was this car involved in a rear end collision and the tailgate had to be replaced?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thankyou for the diagram,PDF’s. Car has never had tailgate replaced. You’ve given me exactly the information I need to make decision with. I’ll check with Benz and also Indi repairers costs re worse case scenario. May have to put up with non operational tailgate. Cheers. Thanks for the info. Was hoping lines or the pneumatic arm could be replaced seperately

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,274 Posts
Hey @43sqd !

While on the subject... Is there any kind of periodic maintenance that could/should be done to this hydraulic system? Like changing the fluid?

My automatic tailgate works, but it seems weak/tired to me.

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
I would replace both tailgate gas struts. If they are weak hydraulic system has to do all the work. That leads to higher pressures and premature failure.

Left 164 740 03 45
Right 164 740 04 45

·
W163 Crash Test Driver
2008 ML350 (Me!), 2010 GLK350 (Wife), 2003 ML-350 (Deceased)
1,274 Posts
Thanks guys. Both good ideas. I never gave it much thought until I saw this thread.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts