Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The tailgate struts on my car don't work in cold weather - a common problem on 123T estates.<br> <br> My workshop manual helpfully doesn't mention them at all... anyone know how to get at them? Is it a headlining-out job? Is it difficult?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have the same problem now. I did replace one of them in the past. At $50 each, replacing one sounded like a good idea. It did work fine for about 10 years. They are short fat struts located inside the roof just behind the hinge. As I remember, the only painful thing about replacing them was paying for them. Be sure to support the tailgate when you remove the old struts, even in their old and weak state they are still supporting a lot of weight.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just got home and took a look at my struts. I now remember how to change them. The end that is attached to the door has the normal looking clip on it. The end attached to the body is attached to a socket type bracket that is easy to remove from the rear by taking out three bolts. No need to get into the headliner at all.<br> Don't forget the prop stick.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have looked up prices for hatch struts and I found better prices than $50.00 Try Adsit.com<br> jagworks.com 23$ and the parts bin.com

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best price I've found in the UK is £18 each (about US$25) from www.mercedesparts.co.uk. That's about half what my local Merc dealer wanted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.