Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay....no chuckle-chuckles. The SL rear light assembly has three sections, TOP (red, single bulb), MID (white LED), BOTTOM (red LED)

The TOP portion of both the rear driver-side and passenger-side is a mystery to me. The fog lamp on the driver's side comes on bright as it should per the Operator's Manual. That's it....I can only make the TOP portion of the light assemby to come "ON" in the fog lamp mode.

Surely the TOP portion, both driver and passenger side, should come "ON" (perhaps dimmer than Fog mode) as normal tail lights. If I am correct then perhaps I have a bulb problem. Can anyone shed some light :) on this question.

Thx, Don

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I made a visit to my MB dealer, "Hate to admit I cannot figure out how to turn on the tail lights."

The technican informed me that the rear passenger-side UPPER BULB (single bulb, large red lense) works ONLY IF the LOWER LED brake light fails. Should there be a brake light failure, a dash message will inform the driver that the brake light has been switched from the LOWER LED to the UPPER BULB.

I asked, "You mean to say the large UPPER portion of the three sections of the rear lamp assembly sits idle waiting for a brake light failure?" ......."YEP"

I was always aware the UPPER driver-side lamp serves as a fog light as needed.

...and-so-it-goes.

Thx, Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts