Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you turn the lights to full manual (to the right); then you can pull the knob out 1 click or 2 clicks. 1 gets fog lights on front, 2nd click gets a light in the tail light lens. I assume the purpose of that light is to increase visibility in low viz conditions?? is that right??

Now, the light on the right side that should come on with that 2nd click is not working. Bulb is OK, replaced just to make sure, but still not burning. No malfunction indicated unless I take that bulb OUT and then I'll get a "R taillight" malfunction indication?

any experience with this right rear tail light module? used my Fluke and find no voltage on that socket???

I know the dealer will charge a fortune for that modular tail light section, any ideas on how to repair this ?? any big deal??

thanks

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
That second click does activate the rear foglight and yours is working correctly. It only illuminates one bulb on the driver's side. This is intended to increase visibility of your vehicle in foggy or rainy conditions, and having the light only on the driver's side, it lets other know which side to pass on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That second click does activate the rear foglight and yours is working correctly. It only illuminates one bulb on the driver's side. This is intended to increase visibility of your vehicle in foggy or rainy conditions, and having the light only on the driver's side, it lets other know which side to pass on.
Thanks, I suspected it was working correctly. With my wife's BMW, you can turn on the left side lights while attending to a breakdown issue and that's the way it was designed to work.

I was also suspicious that it might be ok since I was not getting a "malfunction" light with that bulb out. Plus, my Fluke meter showed no voltage on that socket.

thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Tim

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,447 Posts
That "breakdown' situation you mention is actually called a "standing light". It's generally used to illuminate only the left side or right side parking lights. On MBZ vehicles, this is done with the engine off and by turning the headlight switch counter-clockwise past the off or "0" position. The first click illuminates only the right side parking lights, the second click illuminates only the left. Generally, when parking roadside, you would illuminate the lights on the street side of the vehicle. IIRC, BMW has the same functionality, but uses the turn signal switch with the engine off to active left or right side lights.

I don't recall BMW having a rear fog light. Our Audi A6 had the rear foglight function, but not the standing lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That "breakdown' situation you mention is actually called a "standing light". It's generally used to illuminate only the left side or right side parking lights. On MBZ vehicles, this is done with the engine off and by turning the headlight switch counter-clockwise past the off or "0" position. The first click illuminates only the right side parking lights, the second click illuminates only the left. Generally, when parking roadside, you would illuminate the lights on the street side of the vehicle. IIRC, BMW has the same functionality, but uses the turn signal switch with the engine off to active left or right side lights.

I don't recall BMW having a rear fog light. Our Audi A6 had the rear foglight function, but not the standing lights.
Sorry, I'm a bit confused, what's the difference between the "rear fog light" and the "standing" light??? I don't see anything but that single light on when you turn the headlight control to the far right and pull the knob out to the 2nd click?? Very new to this car and lots to learn about how it works. My wife is going to take it away from me, she really likes the ride and handling.

thanks

·
19,447 Posts
OK, here's the deal. Your headlight switch has 6 positions, labeled as follows: <-P P-> 0 AUTO =oo= and =D.

Of course the straight-up position labeled 0 is off. AUTO means the headlights will come on automatically as needed based on the light sensor. Note that if you the daytime running light or "constant" option, enabled, 0 will actually function just light AUTO and your headlights will come on automatically. The position clockwise after AUTO labeled with the icon =oo= is for the park/city lights, but no headlights. The final clockwise position labeled =D turns on the headlights (which of course includes the park/city lights).

There are two positions counter-clockwise of the 0 off position and these control the "standing" lights. Standing lights are just the park/city lights (front and back) but only on one side of the vehicle. Typically, when you parallel park or are stopped on the side of a road, you would turn on the standing lights on the road side of the vehicle to increase visibility, but since only half of the park/city light bulbs are illuminated, it saves battery power.

The first click left of 0 off is labeled P -> and will turn on the right-side park/city lights. The second and final click left of off is labeled <- P and will turn on the left-side city/park lights.

Now, with either the park/city lights on with the switch in the =oo= position or the headlights on with the switch in the =D position, you can turn on either the front fog lights, or the front and rear fog lights. To turn on the front foglights (the white lights mounted on each side of in the lower front bumper), you pull out on the switch knob one click. You will see a green light next to the switch illuminated indicating that the front fog lights are on. If you pull out on the switch a second click, the rear fog light is also turned on. You will get an orange light illuminated on next to the switch. The rear fog light is a single bulb on the driver's side taillight that is brightly illuminated, of the save intensity as a brake light. Typically, it is one of the park lights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Rudeney,

Thank you for taking the time to explain this so completely and thoroughly. I am grateful for your patience and sharing such details. Too many want to live in that arrogant position that "I figured it, so can you!" For those of us truly trying to learn, your willingness to share is very helpful.

·
19,447 Posts
You're very welcome! I figure for every person here who posts that they don't understand something, there are 100 people lurking with the same question.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts