Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
SOLD: 99 SLK230 K 96 C220 K 06 E200 K
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger side stop light went bad. I try to twist and pull the bulb socket out, but it got struck. I can't twist it...
any recommendation? I hope it's not "melt" to the tail light assembly yet[:(].
Anyone has instruction to disassemble the whole thing? This is a harder side since there's hydralic component nearby....
[:(]

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i did the same process just a couple of minutes ago... my buddy with an slk told me that my turn signals aren't as bright same goes with my brake lights when we compared the light output side by side.. im using LEDs both. i guess the ones i got are not the high intensity ones?? make the story short i took them out and bought two sets of bulbs. if you're not in a hurry get a set of tail lamp assy on ebay.. they are pretty cheap.. right now i already have three sets [:D] 1 pre2000(stock) and 2 post2000 (one installed in the car) got both for $50 each on ebay.. they are like brand new when i got them. or i can sell you my stock lamps [:)]

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
here's a couple of items on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7965577864&category=33716&sspagename=WDVW

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7966025814&category=33716&sspagename=WDVW

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slkpwr - 4/6/2005 8:34 PM
.. im using LEDs both. [:)]
Can you offer more info on the LED tail light? Where did you get it? doesn't have it anymore.
Does your lamp warning up? or you install a resister? Give me detail please!

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
i used LED bulbs like this one
i also used 6 ohm resistors to get rid of the bulb out indicator and for the turn to actually flash. you can get them at f o r m y m e r c e d e s dot c o m.. though i got mine from ebay.. turns out they arent as bright.. make sure you get high intensity LEDS. installation is pretty easy.. i just soldered the wires of the resistors to the contact points of the bulb socket and stick the resistor on the metal part of the car. you can also tap on to the tail lamp harness.. might be easier, i just didnt do it that way coz i dont know which wire is which.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was saying that f o r m y m e r c e d e s dot c o m doesn't have it anymore...
but it was filtered out.
So, you just installed the 6 ohm resister in pararel, right? how big is it? 1W or less, or more?

·
Registered
99 SLK230 Sport
818 Posts
finally i got time to take pics.. a couple of people have asked me about this set up. i dont have the LEDs on my car anymore because of the low light output. if you are consisdering LEDs for your brake lights make sure you get the "High Intensity" ones. turn signals are also a lot harder to install, it will never light up even with a resistor (PM if any of you guys want to know how this is done)

Brake Lights (this is pretty easy)
1. Remove the tail light assy from the car (3 8mm socket) Unplug the harness from the assy.

2. Replace the 1156 bulb with the LED bulb. (make sure the socket contact and the plate are still good before putting back the socket)

3. Unwrap some of the black cover from the harnes to give you some room. Clip one end of the resistor on the brown wire.

4. Clip the other end of the resistor on the black with red striped wire.

5. Mount the resistor on a metal part of the car. You dont have to screw it in and leave it hanging but make sure it doesnt lay on any plastic part or wires.

6. Plug harness, test lights, screw the assy back.

Pic 1 LED bulb (not high intensity)

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts