Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that on the facelifted models, 2007 - 2009 all came with the LED tail lamps, possibly before then? But, I noticed only the gas engines had the LEDS, not the Bluetec diesels. Is my observation correct? I just thought that was rather odd.

EDIT: I meant the W211. Not W212, that is my bad. In before someone calls me out. :B

·
Registered
1976 Rover Mini; 2003 Z06; 2011 smart fortwo Passion
167 Posts
Interesting question; the owners manual (pg 448) doesn't make a distinction for the diesel cars so I assume all the taillight assemblies are the same. They are apparently HiP lights and not designed to be replaced by the user:

Replacing bulbs for rear lamps
Tail lamp unit
The tail lamps are equipped with HiP bulbs.
Warning!
The bulbs in the tail lamps cannot be replaced
individually. The tail lamp bulbs are
under pressure and could explode during an
attempt to replace them.
If the tail lamps are malfunctioning, have
them exchanged at an authorized
Mercedes-Benz Center.
What is the HiP bulbs in the rear that we can't replace ourselves?? - MBWorld.org Forums

:)

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
In the facelift era the diesels continue to have normal bulbs for brake lights while the rest have led brake lights.

·
Registered
2009 Mercedes Benz E550
146 Posts
There are some pre-2007 w211s that have the LED tail-lights too. I'm not sure what circumstances put them on the cars then though. I say this because there's an E500 that is definitely 06 or older, whom I wind up behind every now and again on my commute home.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
There are some pre-2007 w211s that have the LED tail-lights too. I'm not sure what circumstances put them on the cars then though. I say this because there's an E500 that is definitely 06 or older, whom I wind up behind every now and again on my commute home.
Correct.

All AMGs for sure and probably all 500s, although not necessarily from the first year.

·
Registered
222.132 & 221.122 & 213.050 & 906.633
10,426 Posts
I noticed that on the facelifted models, 2007 - 2009 all came with the LED tail lamps, possibly before then? But, I noticed only the gas engines had the LEDS, not the Bluetec diesels. Is my observation correct? I just thought that was rather odd.

EDIT: I meant the W211. Not W212, that is my bad. In before someone calls me out. :B
It isn't dependent on the engine model but the car trim level. Not sure if the engine dictates a specific trim level in the US but in Europe diesels have had led brake lights before and after face lift.

·
Registered
'07 GL320CDI
5,111 Posts
It isn't dependent on the engine model but the car trim level. Not sure if the engine dictates a specific trim level in the US but in Europe diesels have had led brake lights before and after face lift.
Yes, in the USA Mercedes "obscures" the extra cost of the diesel engine by not equipping these cars to the same cosmetic standards as the gasoline models. In facelift era sports package, for example, was a no-cost option while the diesels remained with 16-inch wheels and nonLED taillights.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts