Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to call the dealer again. During the Thanksgiving break, I was on the road and when I closed the rear hatch via the button on the hatch, it didn't close all of the way. Once I put the car in drive, the light came on in the instrument panel and the hatch closed and locked itself.

This is now a common occurance. If I apply upward pressure on the bar above the license plate after closing the hatch, the motor will restart and audibly click the hatch shut. Sometimes, the hatch will work properly.

I had thought it was dependent on cold temps, but it did it at 58F in Ohio.

Just another gremlin...

·
Registered
186 Posts
It is time to call the dealer again. During the Thanksgiving break, I was on the road and when I closed the rear hatch via the button on the hatch, it didn't close all of the way. Once I put the car in drive, the light came on in the instrument panel and the hatch closed and locked itself.

This is now a common occurance. If I apply upward pressure on the bar above the license plate after closing the hatch, the motor will restart and audibly click the hatch shut. Sometimes, the hatch will work properly.

I had thought it was dependent on cold temps, but it did it at 58F in Ohio.

Just another gremlin...
Mine is at the dealer getting the tailgate adjusted for the same issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ditto on Hatch Lock being finnicky

I have the same problem, was already adjusted twice...I don't know if my dealer knows what he is doing honestly. It locks about 70% of the time now, used to be 30% so we're making progress...

·
Registered
128 Posts
Recently, mine was having problems closing completely as well. I fixed it myself by slightly adjusting the two rubber contact bumpers on either side of the gate. Turning mine by hand extends or contracts them like a screw. Just the smallest amount of adjustment made the difference and now it closes properly.

But adjust only slightly. If there's not enough pressure between the gate and the rest of the vehicle, the gate could rattle.

Hope this helps.

-qcar

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The only reason I took mine to the dealer was to record the "problem". They adjusted it and then washed the truck :)
I just don't think MB owners should be on first name basis with the service department. It tarnishes the image.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Recently, mine was having problems closing completely as well. I fixed it myself by slightly adjusting the two rubber contact bumpers on either side of the gate. Turning mine by hand extends or contracts them like a screw. Just the smallest amount of adjustment made the difference and now it closes properly.

But adjust only slightly. If there's not enough pressure between the gate and the rest of the vehicle, the gate could rattle.

Hope this helps.

-qcar
Could you provide a bit more detail about what you did? Where exactly are these contact bumpers? On the hatch or the body of the car? Did you adjust them by hand?

Mine has the same problem, took it to the dealer and got the usual "could not duplicate issue." Sure enough the next day the hatch wouldn't fully close. I pulled up slightly on it and voila it completes the close. Sounds like you've found a fix, and I'd like to try it. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Could you provide a bit more detail about what you did? Where exactly are these contact bumpers? On the hatch or the body of the car? Did you adjust them by hand?

Mine has the same problem, took it to the dealer and got the usual "could not duplicate issue." Sure enough the next day the hatch wouldn't fully close. I pulled up slightly on it and voila it completes the close. Sounds like you've found a fix, and I'd like to try it. Thanks.
The rubber "bumpers" are on the inside of the gate and are only visible when the gate's opened. They are black, round and protrude about one inch (one on each side of the gate) roughly on the same level with the GL450 and 4MATIC badges. When the gate's closed the bumpers make contact to the left (or right) of the tail lights.

The two contact points on the vehicle are slightly raised black hard plastic or metal round areas about one inch in diameter with a bolt head in the center.

Once you find the bumpers on the gate, turn them with your fingers (no tools needed) to adjust in and out, like a big rubber screw.

I don't have the car nearby, but I remember it clearly. It sounds much more complicated than it is.

-qcar

·
Registered
24 Posts
The rubber "bumpers" are on the inside of the gate and are only visible when the gate's opened. They are black, round and protrude about one inch (one on each side of the gate) roughly on the same level with the GL450 and 4MATIC badges. When the gate's closed the bumpers make contact to the left (or right) of the tail lights.

The two contact points on the vehicle are slightly raised black hard plastic or metal round areas about one inch in diameter with a bolt head in the center.

Once you find the bumpers on the gate, turn them with your fingers (no tools needed) to adjust in and out, like a big rubber screw.

I don't have the car nearby, but I remember it clearly. It sounds much more complicated than it is.

-qcar
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I took mine to the dealer this morning and they told me the latch it's having issues, and they are aware of this problem with several vehicles, and should be corrected somehow. Didn't get more details.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Took it a second time, and the darn thing won't lock.
According to MB dealer it worked just fine at their service department.
Are you guys experiencing this problem on flat or inclined surfaces?

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any surface, any temperature. Your dealer just didn't adjust it correctly. Did they offer you a free car wash?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tailgate recall campaign / noisy liftgate motor

I just had my '08 GL 320 CDI in for a 20,000 mile service and the dealer informed me of a recall campaign 21914 / 2008110009, whereby the rear SAM is reprogrammed and the closing latches are realligned. So far this seems to have done the trick. Has anyone had problems with the rear hatch motor sounding like an out of tune washing machine during cold weather. Parked next to a guy in a Lexus last week who commented on my noisy tailgate motor (temp was 10 F). Hope this was just an isolated occurrence. Comments and input are welcome. :surrender:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the campaign notice. My hatch makes the same friendly noise even at -20F. No problems since the "adjustment" after Turkey day.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update - I recently purchased a 2007 GL450 with 63k. Have been driving it for three weeks with no serious issues. This morning the tailgate would not latch. Verified that it was the latch and called Star MB in Houston for the part, of which they had several in stock ;-).

Part number is 164-740-07-35 description "Lock." You can pop off the trim with a straightedge and some patience, remove three each T30 screws with minimal trouble, remove the manual release cable from the interior safety latch and disconnect the wiring harness. Reverse the process to reinstall. No locktite was on these screws, but it looked like this wasn't the second time they'd been installed if you know what I mean.

Star Motor Cars charged me $336 for this innovative piece of engineering, no doubt handcrafted by magic gnomes in the Black Forest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I did exactly this and it fixed the problem permanently.

There is an updated part number for the latch, but it was $200-300 if I recall correctly, just for the part.

I popped off the plastic and adjusted the latch.

Instructions I found at the time said to loosen the latch screws, push the latch AS FAR towards the front of the car as possible (push towards driving direction) then tighten the screws.

There is no "adjustment" of this latch. Just loosen and push it all the way forwards. Apparently that is the MB fix for this problem.

I tried it 7 months ago and it has made it through the entire winter and spring just fine. Freezing temps, warm temps, everything still works.

I used to have about a 50% success rate on the hatch actually latching. I have probably opened it 200+ times since I adjusted the latch, and it hasn't failed to latch even once!

Everyone should try adjusting their latch first. I don't recall the steps but it's easy to figure out. I recall needing a Torx screwdriver so have one handy. And you need to remove the spare tire cover (cargo area floor lid) before starting because some of the screws that hold the plastic trim around the latch on are below the spare tire cover lid.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts