Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

81 - 100 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
2001 R170 SLK230K 6M Sport
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Yes, 2 years now. Haven't finished all my "want to do this and that" but is full functional. every day use.
I dont know the Siemens, but I know it is a different story. There are guys here that turboed facelift SLKs, Cs, I ll try to make a contact with them to learn more about the Siemens, but I know there are no standalone ECU projects.
What are you doing for idle? Does your ms3 control the drive by wire throttle? How did you get the ECU to not limp when the MS3 is controlling everything else?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #82 (Edited)
I'VE MADE A DISCOVERY!!!

This may be a bit of a game changer for us. Copy/paste from another thread I made:

"Okay, I've discovered some things that may help us facelift owners get around the boost cut with our pesky Siemens ecu.

I've managed to find the MAP kpa to voltage values. We all know this car will limp at .789 bar. Those of us with modified pulleys or have converted to turbo know this all too well.

While the 4.85v 1w ZENER diode MAF mod may be enough for the pre-facelift guys to defeat the boost cut, our facelift cars still limp due to a MAP limit.

The zener diode you need to purchase is a 3.3v 1w unit. This equates to .775 bar, and with the 5% over/under on the diode, this should work. I was clamping the MAP at 4.7v and then 4.3v, but the car was still seeing boost above 1 bar and limping. This is when I was told the MAP is a 1 bar unit. It's actually 1.276 bar and the boost cut occurs at .789 bar."

WE'RE CLAMPING THE MAP TOO HIGH!!!!

EDIT: TESTED AND WORKING!!!! NO MORE BOOST CUT!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
Having some issues now. It ran great until today.

I've removed all the MAF and MAP clamps.

Only CEL's I'm getting are for the turbo solenoid when it limps and a rear 02 fail for it being disconnected.

If I quickly step the accelerator down, from about 1/2 to WOT it misfires and will actually stop firing completely for a bit, until the engine speed lowers. If I gradually push throttle, everything is fine. If I push it to the floor and allow it to misfire, it will go into limp mode and everything will work fine.

While monitoring the MAF PID, I can see the turbo is building volume when floored almost immediately, as the CFM rate goes from 90cfm to 400cfm. Spark dies out at 350cfm and returns when it drops to around 250 will not accelerate the engine speed until the ECU hits limp mode and everything seems fine. It also blows black smoke when floored while it's misfiring.

The spark plugs are gapped to .022". I'm thinking I should close the gap more?

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
320 Posts
Your right, higher compression pressures make it harder for the plugs to fire. But the stock plug setting is 0.037", you might have starting problems if you close the gap much more . What about the ignition enhancers that are used by some people on this site- they seemed to work well looking at the reports.

·
1998 SLK 230
2,684 Posts
yeah i would get something to ramp up the coil voltage. that gap is too small and would cause drivability issues.

I run 0.8mm which i think is 0.031" with NGK standard copper plugs + ignition coil booster. for some reason i have had bad experiences with iridium / exotic plugs in forced induction applications.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
I don't really understand how this could happen though. Just all of the sudden like this. I have NGK BKR7E that are two heat ranges colder.

I think I may have had a vacuum leak before the head swap and I just need to gap closer. Like .017" or so.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Regapped plugs to .015, same result. Tried a set of NGK iridiums (used) gapped to .017, same result.

Plugs are super black when I pull them after a short run in the garage. a/r gauge shows below 9:1 when at WOT. If I gradually roll into the throttle, its fine. Its only quick 1/2 to WOT.

·
Registered
1998 , SLK 230
320 Posts
Regapped plugs to .015, same result. Tried a set of NGK iridiums (used) gapped to .017, same result.

Plugs are super black when I pull them after a short run in the garage. a/r gauge shows below 9:1 when at WOT. If I gradually roll into the throttle, its fine. Its only quick 1/2 to WOT.
The colder plugs are better for avoiding detonation but they won't burn off any carbon residue on the plugs at high fueling rates. Your gap is less than half the MB standard- maybe not enough to fire the charge fully- unburnt fuel is collecting & carbonizing on the plugs?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,684 Posts
all I can think of is metered air has leaked past the MAF. the MAF has measured X amount of air coming in and is now adding the appropriate amount of fuel for it. if some of that air has leaked out it would run rich as there is too much fuel and will cause issues with power.

have you done a boost leak test to check any areas for air leaks? I had a leak a while back where an injector O ring was leaking boost!

Reactions: eightrac

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
all I can think of is metered air has leaked past the MAF. the MAF has measured X amount of air coming in and is now adding the appropriate amount of fuel for it. if some of that air has leaked out it would run rich as there is too much fuel and will cause issues with power.

have you done a boost leak test to check any areas for air leaks? I had a leak a while back where an injector O ring was leaking boost!
I'm beginning to think that this may be my problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
Confirmed. Boost leak at forward PCV connection on the head. I capped it since I have a catch can plumbed into the turbo inlet. No more hesitations.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Great news then! I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one that gets excited when a new post appears in this thread keep up the good work

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
99 SLK 200 K (M111.943, Eaton M62, 5 Speed Manual) SL55 AMG look, 18'' AMG style 4
143 Posts
What are you doing for idle? Does your ms3 control the drive by wire throttle? How did you get the ECU to not limp when the MS3 is controlling everything else?
Hey, I just saw by luck your reply, it didn't emailed me.
MS3 controls everything, including idle and throttle. Bosch ME2.1 is on the shelf from day one. That was the point, to disengage from Bosch's limps, cuts, CELs, and other problems.
I asked him to solder the wiring of MS3 to an original Bosch's wiring socket plug, so for service reasons of several sensors I can unplug the MS3 and plug the Bosch.
In your case, you may bypass the limp problem, but the CEL is inevitable. I think other turbos, just disengaged the CEL light and lived with that. There is a guy here on this forum that fitted a V8 to a 4cyl, I don't remember the chassis. He managed to control air and fuel with piggyback in parallel to stock ECU, and as a result he stayed with CEL on forever, cause ECU saw air out of range, lean o2 reading, and no oil, but the car was working ok.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Hey, I just saw by luck your reply, it didn't emailed me.
MS3 controls everything, including idle and throttle. Bosch ME2.1 is on the shelf from day one. That was the point, to disengage from Bosch's limps, cuts, CELs, and other problems.
I asked him to solder the wiring of MS3 to an original Bosch's wiring socket plug, so for service reasons of several sensors I can unplug the MS3 and plug the Bosch.
In your case, you may bypass the limp problem, but the CEL is inevitable. I think other turbos, just disengaged the CEL light and lived with that. There is a guy here on this forum that fitted a V8 to a 4cyl, I don't remember the chassis. He managed to control air and fuel with piggyback in parallel to stock ECU, and as a result he stayed with CEL on forever, cause ECU saw air out of range, lean o2 reading, and no oil, but the car was working ok.
I'm not too concerned with the CEL, only operation. I think I've figured out how the speeduino will deal with spark/fuel concerning idle. Instead of wiring the pedal TPS to the TPS input, I'm going to use the throttle body output signal to the speeduino TPS input. This should alleviate any idle concerns I have.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Since I've been waiting on a dude to call me all damn day to paint my front bumper before I install it, I decided to go out and do some experimentation with my new little "mods"

Here's a list of everything that's been done so far to the engine.

Hard parts:
1. Garrett T3/T04E with mushroom filter, fiberglass jacket, integral wastegate, GReddy BOV and adjustable boost controller.
2. 2.5" fiberglass wrapped stainless exhaust with one 4 chambered muffler in place of the catalyst (looks like converter) and one two chambered Flowmaster muffler.
3. 2.5" fiberglass wrapped stainless turbo T3 up-pipe.
4. Pre-facelift fuel rail, VAG 5 bar FPR, pre-facelift fuel filter and 3/8" return line.
5. @Ndrmini Rennsport cams (my cylinder head is notched unlike yours).
6. Innovate AFR and Boost gauges with data logging.
7. IGN1A ignition coils (installed today) with Accel 8.8mm spark plug wires.
8. NGK BKR7E spark plugs gapped to .022".
9. CCV delete and installed oil catch can with ventilation to turbo (mostly for fumes).
10. Port matched and polished used cylinder head (after the disaster of last week).

Electrical modifications:
1. 4.7v 1w zener diode connected to the signal wire on the MAF sensor to ground, limiting detected airflow to 810cfm. 815cfm is the programmed limit.
2. NEWLY INSTALLED 3.3v 1w zener diode on the signal return of the MAP sensor to ground, limiting maximum detected boost pressure to 8.8 psi.
3. Byar remap stage 2 tuning on stock SIM4LE ECU.
4. Android based in-dash ECU monitoring with 10.1" screen.

First run done with previous setting of 10 psi. Good acceleration wending in a lean condition in higher RPM range.

Adjusted fuel pressure and retested. AFRs better, definitely more power there.

Now the fun part. Adjusted boost controller up two clicks. Tested again. Lag... then a huge rush of power, breaking both tires loose and engine with lean high rpm. 14.9 psi max.

Adjusted FPR again. Tested again and same result, but more even more power, more breaking loose and second gear spinning. AFRs on high side, but still good. Adjusted FPR again.

Tested.

WOAH. I need to make a video.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the MAX psi the ECU saw was 8.8psi. No limp mode, no CEL codes.... I think this could even work with catalyst and a rear O2 if needed.

·
Registered
99 SLK 200 K (M111.943, Eaton M62, 5 Speed Manual) SL55 AMG look, 18'' AMG style 4
143 Posts
I'm not too concerned with the CEL, only operation. I think I've figured out how the speeduino will deal with spark/fuel concerning idle. Instead of wiring the pedal TPS to the TPS input, I'm going to use the throttle body output signal to the speeduino TPS input. This should alleviate any idle concerns I have.
Yes, piggyback and ECU in parallel to TPS output. Before I turn to MS3, I made my chance with an AEM 30-1910, which I have for sale now, and I used it with some features of it, and idle was ok. The problem remained with the unstoppable adaptation of Bosch in high cfms.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Yes, piggyback and ECU in parallel to TPS output. Before I turn to MS3, I made my chance with an AEM 30-1910, which I have for sale now, and I used it with some features of it, and idle was ok. The problem remained with the unstoppable adaptation of Bosch in high cfms.
Concerning your MS3 setup, what model and/or other equipment exactly are you using for throttle control? I'm thinking about purchasing one.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Confusing and interesting day today. It started out terrible, went okay for a bit and ended well, but still am having some issues. What happened today:

1. Cold start is strange. It surges and the diverter valve cycles open and closed several times and then it just disappears. I can't find any boost leaks after bubble testing AGAIN.... It doesn't have any more boost leaks.

2. Was able to adjust fuel pressure to maintain 13:1 lambda at WOT for 19 PSI without hearing any spark knock or detonation.

3. If I adjust the fuel pressure to maintain mid-high rpm lambda, it will stumble on quick acceleration. If I gradually roll into it, it's fine. I'm going to regap the plugs to .020" and see of that helps, but I can say, it's probably stumbling because its too rich. If I punch it from idle, lambda hits below 8:1. It'll lean to 9:1 if I pull most of the fuel pressure adjustment out of it. All is great as long as you don't hit the accelerator fast.

4. At 19 psi this thing is a rocket. Its also the coolest sounding 4 pot I've ever heard on coast down. Mean...

Also, @stelios109 I really need that info concerning your MS3 setup. I'm ready to buy today but don't want to buy the wrong one. Help me out bro.

81 - 100 of 105 Posts