Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys ..What's other method to pin the T-chain with out this special tool which I don't have( Picture ) . My chain is off the 16V engine ( It's new) and I do not mind to remove cam & intermediate gears to install the new chain after pined at correct pressure..Does it matter much ?

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
You could probably build one of those pretty easily. It doesn't look like it would be hard to do, and would be cheaper than buying one.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Got a bench vise?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Good trick of the trade..pressure upon of your will power?
Well I must have five crimping tools myself, now finding them when I want one, impossible.

Its just faster to use a couple 4mm sockets and a bench vise, those I usually have no problem finding.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I must have five crimping tools myself, now finding them when I want one, impossible.

Its just faster to use a couple 4mm sockets and a bench vise, those I usually have no problem finding.
I had 2 skeletons hanging in my garage with signs on their necks : "This guys borrowed my tools and never return to me".
Thanks for sharing emergency experiences.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
I had 2 skeletons hanging in my garage with signs on their necks : "This guys borrowed my tools and never return to me".
Can I use that? lol.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Achtung !

Hey guys ..What's other method to pin the T-chain with out this special tool which I don't have( Picture ) . My chain is off the 16V engine ( It's new) and I do not mind to remove cam & intermediate gears to install the new chain after pined at correct pressure..Does it matter much ?
Does it matter much ?

It does.

This is how a properly crimped chain link should look like - with 45 degree flattened top and bottom of the link pins

I would NOT use any other tool other than a MB timing chain crimping tool with proper inserts for double-row chain.

Anything else and you risk snapping the chain.

Here's a good link for T-chain replacement procedure:

PeachParts Timing chain How To

/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts