Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have researched quite a few earlier posts here on the benefits snd the recommendations of forum members, however, I have not seen either of these companies mentioned.
92' x 2/5" Winch Synthetic Rope Replacement Dyneema Cable SUV Truck Trailer Jeep | eBay

92' x 2/5" Winch Synthetic Rope Replacement Dyneema Cable SUV Truck Trailer Jeep | eBay

Yes, I know I shouldn't be surfing e-bay, just got sidetracked at work. I am going to go the synthetic rope route for my winch, if I ever get time to finish welding it up.

Just looking for any input to the reputaion of the companies and the products before going any further. Will gladly take other suggestions! Thanks, MUD

·
Registered
4,959 Posts
I can't comment on that particular company, but I can say that it's all made by the same couple companies.

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I can't comment on that particular company, but I can say that it's all made by the same couple companies.
All this stuff is classified as UHMWPE (Ultra High Molecular Weight PolyEthylene) and is made by a small handful of plastic spinning companies. The main difference between the manufacturers is the outer braid material. The big guy in the business is SAMSON ROPE, who makes AMSTEEL and AMSTEEL-BLUE, which is a standard 12-strand weave of UHMWPE covered with a patented fiber braid.

The various offroad companies that sell the stuff USUALLY buy rope in bulk and attach end treatments such as snaps and eyes. Differences between vendors usually is in the quality of hardware they attach, the quality of their splices and their customer service and warranty.

Read more then you want to know about UHMWPE at the nets favorite source for sketchy info, Wikipedia ;)

Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
303 Posts
For recreational, competition or occasional (forestry) work synthetic rope is the job. i have had it on one of my landrover winches for 7 years and am well impressed with its usability, safety and lightness. its quick and easy to rig and if a component fails it just drops to the ground. the only downside is it melts under severe heat so don't get it near the exhaust system. i bought a spare rope about 5 years ago and never needed it, so its now on a newly rebuilt winch on the 404. for my type of work it is definately the best thing.
Wire rope is more suitable for heavy daily industrial work, but it takes time to rig, is harder to work with and needs to be maintained and carefully fed onto winch drums or it will snag, deform and weaken. if you are full time commercial and following all the rules and have time to do it right every time, don't damage the rope in theory a wire rope will last longer and is 1/4 of the price. i'll stick with synthetic.

j:thumbsup:

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm wondering if people can please post what thickness rope they have opted for. As some members are aware, I'm building a warn high mount for the front of my 404. I'll run the steel rope that was supplied with it, which is around 3/8" from memory.
No doubt I'll change to synthetic as soon as possible. I'd like to go as thin as possible, so that I can get more length onto the drum.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'm wondering if people can please post what thickness rope they have opted for. As some members are aware, I'm building a warn high mount for the front of my 404. I'll run the steel rope that was supplied with it, which is around 3/8" from memory.
No doubt I'll change to synthetic as soon as possible. I'd like to go as thin as possible, so that I can get more length onto the drum.
Look up the strength of the wire rope and compare it with the strength of the synthetic. Synthetic is usually stronger for the same size.

I can't corroborate this but I was told by a manufacturer of synthetic that the logging and shipping industries are switching over to synthetic and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me. My winches already have wire on them and the cost of replacement is the main reason I'm not switching.

Electric winches can be problematic because in some models the drum gets hot enough under multiple pulls to melt the rope.

Another thing I'm not sure about for industrial use it there is no way to be perfect with every pull and you are going to get abrasion, so with multiple daily pulls synthetic may not have the life span of steel. ??

·
Registered
303 Posts
i use 9mm synthetic on superwinch X9's, the drum can easily hold 31m of rope. i wouldn't use anything lighter than 9mm on a 404 due to the weight and potential loads put on it whilst recovering 2.9 T of vehicle. Some mates of mine bought 35m lengths of 9mm rope for their X9's and coil the extra on the bonnet and use a snatch block to shorten the pull if need be

j

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
I can't corroborate this but I was told by a manufacturer of synthetic that the logging and shipping industries are switching over to synthetic and if it's good enough for them it's good enough for me.
You will not see many wire mooring lines anymore. The synthetic line is easier to handle, lighter and, the big winner, it floats. Mooring lines for large vessels can easily exceed 3" diameter. The fishing industry has been using UHMWPE for years, along with steel, depending on the application. Loggers still use mostly wire rope because of the abrasion problems.

Electric winches can be problematic because in some models the drum gets hot enough under multiple pulls to melt the rope.
Watch out for planetary winches with internal brakes. Those are the ones that heat the drums the worst. Worm gear winches usually keep their drums cooler. Long periods of power-out using a planetary winch WILL melt your UHMWPE line.

Another thing I'm not sure about for industrial use it there is no way to be perfect with every pull and you are going to get abrasion, so with multiple daily pulls synthetic may not have the life span of steel. ??
If you have a roller fairlead on your winch or winch bumper, watch out for the rope pinching in the rollers. I converted my Rover fairlead to a smooth one-piece billet aluminum unit when I changed that winch to UHMWPE many years ago. If you use your winch in rocky areas, abrasion is also a concern. Stick with steel or have some way to prevent abrasion if you have to pull over a ledge. The winch on the Rover has a 6' long, durable, woven "abrasion sleeve" installed on the line that can be placed where needed during a pull.

But, all this has been covered before. Like everything else, decide on equipment based on your own use profile. The Werner I use on the Mog still has 10mm wire rope installed. I love the synthetic but the Werner gets used in some pretty gnarly situations and I don't need to be worried about the line being rigged for low abrasion. :eek:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess it won't hurt to try it. I am not planning on running a fairlead. I was going to use this double roller swivel I made.

Maybe I can throw out some hints at Thanksgiving for what I need at Christmas. Probably won't work. Maybe I'll get this together yet, MUD

Attachments

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just something that you knocked up one afternoon ?
It looks great. If I could make that, I'd hang it on my lounge room wall.
What is the proposed distance between the roller and the winch drum ?

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The double roller, I extensively researched here and lots of guys forwarded pictures to me on another thread and it was a culmination of things. My buddy and I actually drew this on a cad like program before starting for a change. I have not got final dimensions for where the winch will sit. I am building a framework to hold the roller sheave that will hook into the back frame work of my case 406. I plan to have the mount somewhere between the case deck rails behind the auxillary hyd. oil tank that sits behind the cab, probably at a 15 or 20 degree angle. It seems that I never have enough time, like the rest of you. I had almost everything cut and fit once this year and then I got side tracked with the darn paying job. Slowing down a little now so hopefully by the first of the year I can get it mocked up. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, MUD

1 - 17 of 17 Posts