Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How come MBUSA advises all owners to switch to synthetic while Canada still sticks to regular? I think the engines are identical, and the arctic weather here should require synthetic more than anywhere else (save desert).

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: agreed

Checked my dealer twice. Conflicting message. Service dept recommends regular oil is all you need. Parts dept prefers synthetic (Mobil 1) but not mandatory, but once you switch to synthetic you should stay with it. They can change synthetic oil for you for C$9.95 a liter (a ripoff). They also accept BYOO at no extra charge.<br> <br> Please note MB Canada recommends 15W-40 viscosity. Mobil 1 has 0W-30, 5W-30, 10W-30 and 15W-50, but not 15W-40. Other makes like Quaker Pennzoil or Castrol may have matching ones. Please refer to W203 service bulletin #2 for approved brands.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting topic, Lone Star<br> MB where i got my C320 tells me to use Quaker State 20/50<br> for the summer months, and that this brand is the only one benz uses! they told me the same when i had an e320,i have aways favoured syn oil,would appriciate any feedback

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From MB Canada re synthetic oil

This is the correspondences from MB Canada.<br> <br> <br> Mr. Hon, <br> <br> Customers will be notified by mail either directly by their dealership or the Canadian Head Office once a decision has been made. <br> <br> Best Regards, <br> <br> Katharine Stich <br> Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. <br> Head Office, Customer Service <br> __________________________________________________<br> <br> <br> Thank you. How would you notify the owners if there is a change in policy? <br> <br> <br> <br> Sebastian <br> <br> <br> <br> -----Original Message----- <br> From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] <br> Sent: 2001, July, 26 12:28 PM <br> To: [email protected] <br> Subject: RE: Oil change <br> <br> <br> Dear Mr. Hon, <br> <br> Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding this issue. The decision to switch to synthetic oil is a U.S. implemented policy. This is in effect for the U.S. market, and we are presently evaluating their recommendations concerning this issue. A decision will be made very soon in this regard. <br> <br> Once again, we appreciate that your interest in this matter and should a decision be made, please be assured that you will be made aware of it. <br> <br> Best Regards, <br> <br> <br> <br> Katharine Stich <br> Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. <br> Head Office, Customer Service <br> __________________________________________________<br> <br> <br> <br> <br> I learned that MBUSA has sent letters to owners to switch to synthetic oils for cars that use flexible service schedule, and all oil change is now using synthetic. How come MB Canada still recommends regular oil? Aren't the engines the same? <br> <br> <br> Sebastian Hon <br> <br> --------------------------------------------------<br> <br> This e-mail may be privileged and/or confidential, and the sender does not waive any related rights and obligations. Any distribution, use or copying of this e-mail or the information it contains by other than an intended recipient is unauthorized. If you received this e-mail in error, please advise me (by return e-mail or otherwise) immediately. <br> <br> Ce courriel est confidentiel et protégé. L'expéditeur ne renonce pas aux droits et obligations qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion, utilisation ou copie de ce message ou des renseignements qu'il contient par une personne <br> autre que le (les) destinataire(s) désigné(s) est interdite. Si vous recevez ce courriel par erreur, veuillez m'en aviser immédiatement, par <br> retour de courriel ou par un autre moyen. <br> <br>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts