Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 modified SL500. It a Renntech 6.0 engine conversion with other modifictions from brabus and lorinser. The dealer over here is a little too shady for me and they are telling me to go with regular petroleum-oil all the way or the engine will leak because it has to adjust to synthetic oil, but When I contacted Renntech, synthetic oil is highly recommended, they told me to use synthetic if I wanted the max performance from the modified engine. What's the grade of Synthetic oil recommended for the newer SL 500. 5W-30, 10w-30, 5W-15. or is it something else? I drive this car only in the summer. I garage it during the winter when I move to my second house in Florida and drive my other cars.

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Recommended oil viscocities...

What's the grade of Synthetic oil recommended for the newer SL 500. 5W-30, 10w-30, 5W-15. or is it something else? I drive this car only in the summer. I gargarged it during the winter when I move to second house it Florida and drive my other cars. Please help.
Currently for FSS equipped cars, MB only approves and recommends 0W40 Mobil 1, or 15W50 Mobil 1. 0W40 is a European blend, so you will not be able to find it easily. 15W50 is widely available these days; check Walmart, for example.

·
Registered
SL60
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info. Went to the local autoparts store and found the OW-40 and picked up...

thanks for the info. Went to the local autoparts store and found the OW-40 and picked up a case. Thanks a lot.[:D]

·
'00 ML320 Elegance
8,965 Posts
Oh so you were able to find 0W40?...

thanks for the info. Went to the local autoparts store and found the OW-40 and picked up a case. Thanks a lot.[:D]
Interesting! Mobil 1, I assume? Which store did you manage to get it from?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi there,

I can't reply about the oil but I would be interest in chatting with you the conversations you have made to your car. I have just bought a 97 SL500 and have looked at the web site of the companies you listed in your oil question. If you feel up to chatting about it I could use some input!

Bapper

1 - 8 of 8 Posts