Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Again, my car has sat for a few weeks while we were commuting in the Jetta. The battery was disconnected at the negative lead at the rear seat base for the duration.

I hooked it up to take a nice drive today (and indeed it was very nice compared to the harsh ride of the Jetta) and had to enter the radio code as always.

However, also as always, everything else retained settings. The IR remote works, the seat, mirror and steering wheel memories are intact. I didn't try the windows, but the last time the battery was disconnected they also did not require synchronization.

This is contrary to what I read of others' experience, and contrary to the owner's manual.

I do know that the engine computer and RCL were changed shortly before I got the car, so they are the updated parts with DAS. I don't know if the new parts use some sort of non-volatile memory, but I find no indication of others experiencing this not-so-unpleasant result.

Has anyone else experienced this? And does anyone have a clue why my car behaves this way?

·
Registered
1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
6,019 Posts
It's

a 1996.The sensor that have to be reset are in the true w210 models:D
Only the radio code need be entered.
why disconnect the battery when not driving?
The battery will last longer if you leave it on a trickle charger(about 6 bucks at harbor freight [email protected] amp it just keeps the battery fresh and adds years to a often stored cars battery life.
ohlord:bowdown:

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I disconnected it because it was on a charger in the beginning. I'm not really very worried about the battery life; it's only about a year and a half old and still under replacement warranty from Auto Zone. Yea, I know.

I do have a 2/10 amp charger and usually use the low setting, but I do like to disconnect the battery during charging. It says to do so in the manual.

But the manual also says that my seats and windows will need to be reset.

·
Premium Member
2001 E320 - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 107,000+
17,193 Posts
Your experiences make me believe that our owner's manuals fall a bit short of the Bible for our cars. I have always gone by it too, but this is certainly food for thought. My recommendation is that you ask MBUSA if there were any errors when your manual was printed that were subsequently updated. The main reason I say that is because my final page has been glued into the book, as if to indicate an update or to correct an earlier ommission.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,274 Posts
my 99 E320 retains mirrors, seats during power disruptions of relatively short
terms (e.g. 30 mins). for longer outages, synching is needed for side windows,
and roof. radio always needs resetting, no matter how short the blackout.
last power outage (about a week), I lost the alarm (behind the r/front tire)
and haven't gotten around to find out the cause (possibly fuse, or alarm fried
due to voltage spike or....?)

·
Registered
1996 210.020
3,972 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my 99 E320 retains mirrors, seats during power disruptions of relatively short
terms (e.g. 30 mins). for longer outages, synching is needed for side windows,
and roof. radio always needs resetting, no matter how short the blackout.
last power outage (about a week), I lost the alarm (behind the r/front tire)
and haven't gotten around to find out the cause (possibly fuse, or alarm fried
due to voltage spike or....?)
Retaining the mirror and seat memory for half an hour is interesting and may be related.

There doesn't seem to be any time limit on disconnecting mine. I have had my battery disconnected for more than a month when I was out of town on business, and nothing needed to be set but the radio. I am still perplexed.

I haven't tried to find any of the parts or fuses for my alarm, although one day I wanted to. I set it off accidentally while inside the car once, but before that I didn't even know that it had the feature. I don't need an alarm. My car is parked in a garage at home, and in a safe area at work. And I rarely go shopping in unsafe areas.

I suppose that pretty much all cars have it, so it isn't specifically listed on the window sticker.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts