Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not looking for trouble but what are symptoms of the sunroof heading south? When its cool outside such as a cool night...the sunroof closes and opens very slowly on my 126. On a hot day it opens fast and at proper speed.

I lubricated it many times with many diffrent lubes but to no avail with the speed when its cool outside.

SHould I be worried?

·
Registered
W140 '93 500 SEL
1,005 Posts
I had a problem with my sunroof that was tracted to the swithc on my 280se but on my 300 se the rail was worned out and we needed to change it.

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Mine does the same. I've cleaned and lubed with MB sunroof grease multiple times, and it has gotten better, but still sticks when cold out. In warmer weather, all is fine. Since I primarily use it in warm weather, I've decided to let it be. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I just help mine along when it sticks to prevent doing any damage to the motor.

Trey

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
twalton - 4/16/2005 6:18 PM

Mine does the same. I've cleaned and lubed with MB sunroof grease multiple times, and it has gotten better, but still sticks when cold out. In warmer weather, all is fine. Since I primarily use it in warm weather, I've decided to let it be. I don't think you have anything to worry about. I just help mine along when it sticks to prevent doing any damage to the motor.

Trey
Ditto. I just really crank up the heat before I try to open or close it if it's cold out. Mostly I just don't bother. Hell, it's been raining all month now here anyway.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cranking the heat?? It wouldnt do much as the sunroof is basically outside of the car. Is it worth spending the money to get that exspensive MB sunroof grease or can I buy something else? I tried white grease and I think WD-40 which took away a squeak it had otherwise moved the same.

·
Registered
93 190E 2.6; 82 300 SD Turbo
1,689 Posts
I have this same cold weather problem has anyone found a cause to this? or better a solution?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im patient for it to wait to close slowly but I worry it will snap something or damage the motor. [:(]

·
Registered
'80 500SE AMG '80 300SD '78 450SLC '00 Passat GLX Wagon
1,155 Posts
Benzonline - 4/16/2005 10:09 PM

Cranking the heat?? It wouldnt do much as the sunroof is basically outside of the car. Is it worth spending the money to get that exspensive MB sunroof grease or can I buy something else? I tried white grease and I think WD-40 which took away a squeak it had otherwise moved the same.
Sorry, you're wrong. Heating the inside of the car warms up the rails and makes the sunroof slide smooth as silk. Trust me I know it works[:)]

·
Registered
2008 S550 designo
396 Posts
Benzonline - 4/16/2005 12:09 AM

Is it worth spending the money to get that exspensive MB sunroof grease or can I buy something else? I tried white grease and I think WD-40 which took away a squeak it had otherwise moved the same.
Use WD40 to clean the rails and ONLY MB sunroof grease to lube. It is definitely worth the money. You can get it from Jonathon on this board or from eBay in small quantities that is affordable.

Trey

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok great thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
my 2007 S550 did the same thing tonight. it opened fine earlier and also closed good. opened it tonight and it sounded like it was wearing the gear out.. where can I buy this grease?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts