Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1979 300TD naturally aspirated
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So-I have the opportunity to trade a yellow 79 300TD with 303K,vacuum issues and lots of blowby for a blue 79 300TD with 230K that has a faulty ignition switch. I can however switch the yellow ignition switch to the blue wagon.Question is, is switching ignition switches between these cars hard to do? Would I need special tools?
The P.O. said that he had duplicated the original key to the blue one, lost the original then used the duplicate for a while until it progressively got harder to start then failed all together.
It seems like an easy swap but having dealt with the W123 for a lil while now everything is but routine. I will probably start looking at the swap next week so i have some time to research. Any heads up on this matter is greatly appreciated.
Drew

·
Registered
1983 300D
214 Posts
Changing out the ignition switch is definitely a DIY. The only special tool needed is a thick paper clip. Read diesel giant.com tutorial on replacing the switch.

·
Registered
'85 280GE LWB '84 230CE
153 Posts
You need to be able to turn the switch to position "1" with the key to remove the cylinder. Sounds like you don't need to change the switch, just the cylinder, or you may need a new key.
I think the dealer will make you a key. You need the VIN and the title must be in your name.

·
Registered
1979 300TD naturally aspirated
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Exactly G-dog. I need the cylinder. The key has been lost so its impossible for me to put it into pos.1. I have the title, its gonna be signed off to me shortly and I know the nice people over there at the dealership is gonna charge me an arm for a duplicate.
Is this the only option I have? Is there no way to replace the cylinder without a key?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts