Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
560SEC, 1988; 500SE, 1984; 500SL, 1983
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like my door lock is jammed, my key is pretty worn, but still works in the passenger side easily

I've ordered a new key from the dealership - $50 per key! - so maybe this will help, I need a spare anyway, but here're some questions:

1) how do I take the door lock tumbler out to look it over?

2) can I switch the passenger side tumbler to the driver side?

3) keyless entry - I've an 85 500sl, and if I read all the other threads right on this topic I've not got a vacuum pump that I can plug-n-play an off-shelf keyless entry system. Is there an actuator on the market that'd work? I'm reading Striffe's write up on the other board as I write this....

Cheers :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
To get to the lock cylinder, you have to pull the door handle off. This is done by removing a plate on the end of the door, unscrewing a couple of bolts, and rolling the handle assembly forward. The entire assembly should come out without problem. The assembly is slightly different on each side (at least my '75 was) , but the core might be transferable. It's one of those "You'd have to see it." type things. There is a tab on one side that isn't on the other.

If you ask the dealership which locksmith they use, he might be able to be-build yours. If they have the little 'gates' on hand, that might be your least expensive route.

Just make sure you keep the new key someplace secure, and get copies made for 'daily' use. That way, you have a known good reference/master key that can be used as a source for new 'child' keys.

Just a suggestion,
Scott

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good advice - I've seen some posts to say that maybe the tumbler can be switched, I'll take a look at it this weekend

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
1 - 7 of 7 Posts