Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1999 SLK230 Sports Package Black/Red Interrior 5-Speed
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drilled a bunch of holes in my airbox since i have NO MONEY.
Supercharger whine is amazing.
HP has noticeably increased.

=]

Anyone else done this?

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
maybe i dont get it. what are you talking about? haha
He's talking about destroying the cold air intake and gaining "sound power."

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Drew,

Yes this mod was tried before by an ambitous Jiffy Lube employee and an ex member here. Greg what CAI are you talking about. If you are talking about the OEM setup then you have got me stumped. The OEM setup is a CAI compared to the hot air being sucked into those holes but what the hell.

Drew, the problem with the older 230's is that the bypass vents the excess boost back into the airbox and you might actually loss power by this mod but what Greg is trying to say is that hot engine bay air is not the answer. Contact Anthony from TVT Design as I think he was actually in the process of working on this. There was a long drawn out flame war none of us want to rehash but contact Anthony. Gatz had constructed a new enlarged snorkel piece and it looked pretty good from what limited photos he has provided. That is the piece inbetween the airbox and the opening by the radiator. It is extremely restrictive. This one piece, if done right, could really help out a "pullied" 230!

Enjoy the M62 whine. Better than the old lady whine some of us must endure.

Greg, where in the hell are you from my friend?????? Just curious as to the number of posts you have on Benzworld and it appears you do not own an SLK? Odd to say the least.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,633 Posts
Drew,

Yes this mod was tried before by an ambitous Jiffy Lube employee and an ex member here. Greg what CAI are you talking about. If you are talking about the OEM setup then you have got me stumped. The OEM setup is a CAI compared to the hot air being sucked into those holes but what the hell.
That's exactly what I was talking about, the OEM setup pulls cool air instead of engine compartment air. Drilling holes gives you the "sound of power" but that's it, you're then drawing hot, less dense air into the intake stream. There are places to find extra useful horsepower without damaging the engine, but holes in the airbox isn't one of them.

On the other hand, at least his design didn't completely eliminate the stock intake, so it's better than the moronic pipes on ebay that use the cone filter just hanging out in the engine compartment. ;)

And while I am a fan, I'm not a SLK owner, but there are many similarities and consistencies across the platforms...the air intake design in the late models being one of them. :) Lastly, I'm about 500 miles north of you, my friend.

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You got to keep in mind most of my friends are NCDUBS guys.
The swiss cheese was going to happen to my car soon.

Alot of cars nowadays are using "shortram" intakes.
What the difference? None.

HP loss or gain IT SOUNDS AMAZING and im BROKE!
=]

Livin' it up unemployed.

·
Registered
2003 SLK230
1,456 Posts
Ok Greg, where in the NORCAL area are ya Brother?????? I grew up in Chico. Never really grew up but you know what I am trying to say dammit!

Drew, hang in there buddy! Sometimes you have got to wait for something good and when it happens you will know why you went through this period in your life.

·
Registered
1992 Nissan 240sx & 1984 Mercedes Benz 500SEL
12 Posts
Sounds like a failed plan just like my old import buddies had. They would drill holes in their mufflers to get a "better" sounding exhaust. Instant gradification isn't always good. Why don't we all just buy these instead?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like a failed plan just like my old import buddies had. They would drill holes in their mufflers to get a "better" sounding exhaust. Instant gradification isn't always good. Why don't we all just buy these instead?

Hahaha.

[email protected]$$ lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah I'm just kidding around. It would be interesting to actually hear the difference in person though. Do you have any pictures of where you drilled and how many holes?

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I dont have any pictures but i can take some. Or try to.
The supercharger sounds much better and you can even hear it over my extremely loud exhaust.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What diameter piping are you running if you don't mind me asking?

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
only reason bypass valve is plumbed back into system is

1) emissions the oil vapor from the air/oil separator is in the intake pipes at this stage and must be burnt up by the engine - emissions requirement

2) sound - this is important to benz as they want it to sound quiet as possible

venting it makes no diff. its a supercharger your in boost at the snap of the throttle (ie no spool like a turbo). its already spinning all it takes to make boost is to shut the bypass valve...

with turbo cars there _may_ be some advantage plumbing back into the system (again depends where its plumbed in) most manufactures put it after the turbo as not to get oil vapor coating the turbo blades. (purely emissions)...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How do you make the bypass value always closed?
Is this the big valve that comes out the side of the airbox

·
1998 SLK 230
2,599 Posts
well you dont want it always closed.....

1) fuel economy will go down DRAMATICLY
2) it will be VERY loud
3) may lead to early supercharger failure as it will get very hot - ive seen ppl with other charged cars weld this up and only to have the chargers fail.
4) it bogs hard when you get off the throttle as there is no where for the excess boost to go

overall not a good idea...

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Subby im not sure i ever told you this.
But your badass. Your knowledge is crazy. Like with the pulley you flat out threw down all the figures. It was intense.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts