Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving my '87 560sl recently without the radio on I noticed a sound coming from the rear of the car.

Especially when stopping from coming down hill, or suddenly stopping from a moderate speed. The sound is similar to taking a plastic container (like a gallon of milk) that is half-filled and moving the container back and forth. Making as best I can describe as a "swish swoosh swish swoosh" sound.

I am wondering if this is normal (may be the gas in the gas tank). Not sure exactly where in proximity the tank is.

Or if the is abnormal and maybe water in the area where the soft top is stored.

I just purchased the car last Nov. from the original owner who kept the car garaged and rarely removed the hard top. I have only logged 100 miles since purchase, and being in the middle of winter have not had opportunity nor inclination to removed hard top.

I am doubtful that it is water, as recent tempatures have been below freezing, but am not certain).

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and opinions.

Michael

·
Registered
50 Posts
Fuel Tank

I get the same "swish swoosh" sound you are referring to.

I've always assumed it was the fuel tank.

I've never really paid much attention to it over the years and never really gave it much thought after that.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is the fuel in the fuel tank sloshing around.

·
Registered
E420, E300, 560SL
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks again Esteves...

That's what I suspect also. Currently 5 degress F (-12 with Wind Chill), so I have no immediate plans to remove hard top.

Brrrrrrr

·
Registered
1984 380sl
4 Posts
I have the same sound in my 84 380sl. Always assumed it was the gas in tank. When I ha...

I have the same sound in my 84 380sl. Always assumed it was the gas in tank. When I had the top off last weekend(I'm in California,hehe) I saw no water or other source that could make that noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts