Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
S500/W220/2000
21,652 Posts
Check this out: http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1258994&posts=10

·
Registered
C230K Sport Sedan
5,368 Posts
The easy answer is to find a competant detailer in your area and have them polish the swirls out and then wax it. It is hard finding a good person though and many cheat by using waxes with fillers that wash off after a few weeks and they re-appear. Some add their own swirls and then hide them with fillers. So this is why many people do it themselves out of frustration. Do you know if you have the ceramic clearcoat? This will be on the color code in your door jamb, the new nano ceramic clearcoat starts with a "C", for example, old black is 040, new ceramic clearcoat black is C40. If it's the old soft paint, you can do it by hand using a product like Scratch-X, if it's ceramic, it won't come out by hand and you'll need to invest in a buffer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My paint color as shown on the sticker behind the driver door of my SLK, is "590". There is no "C". Is it ceramic ? How do I tell ?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Are they swirls, as in buffer holograms or are they halo-scratches which appear as circles in the paint?

Buffer holograms have an appearance of a 3D ribbon flowing through the paint and are caused by the use of a high speed buffing machine.

The reason I ask is because the way to remove them differs and many detailers try and remove them using the same methods.

Anthony

·
Registered
153 Posts
Do you have a polisher of any type? What products do you have or which have you used previously?

The basic polisher would be the Porter Cable and you'll then need some pads, namely a cutting pad, polishing pad and a finishing pad.

Menzerna Intensive Polish and Final Polish II along with the Optimum polishes are both excellant choices.

Let us know,

Anthony

·
Registered
1995 E320
106 Posts
Get 3M product from Walmart for about $5. Then use wax from Dupont again buy it from Walmart. Do it yourself. Read instruction in back carefully. It will takes many hrs but worthed. It works on my black E320 1995. Try that out and good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts