Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 350
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

After a 9 month wait my 350 is here!! The wait was worth it, there is nothing on the roads which has the same drama and presence (bar SLR). It is simply stunning!! For those of you who are patiently waiting HANG IN THERE!

My experience today was some what spoiled here is why...

My dealer took me to see the car round the back of the dealership, the sun was shining, the anticipation was unbearable. As we searched around trying to locate it, the salesman was trying to wind me up saying that the front bumper had been torn off whilst coming off the transporter and maybe the car was in the bodyshop getting fixed. Anyway we finally found my car and I went through all the checks advised by this forum. To my horror the bottom of the front spoiler had been scraped and there are many scratches also there was some marks on the edge of the bonnet where the wiper had hit. My happiness quickly turned to dissapointment... To add to this they had ordered the wrong colour. To save a few pounds I ordered the plain black but the car was obsidian, a £600 extra in the UK.

This is my first mercedes and I am not impressed!! Am i the only one to experience these problems? The dealer has offered to re spray the bottom of the spoiler and touch up the marks on the edge of bonnet. They have given me the metallic obsidian for £300 and thrown in mats for free.

What should I do? Should I accept this? The scratches are on the bottom of the front spoiler and cant be seen only if you get down and look up.

Attachments

·
Registered
350 SLK
1,528 Posts
yippym - 3/12/2005 9:53 AM

Hi All

After a 9 month wait my 350 is here!! The wait was worth it, there is nothing on the roads which has the same drama and presence (bar SLR). It is simply stunning!! For those of you who are patiently waiting HANG IN THERE!

My experience today was some what spoiled here is why...

My dealer took me to see the car round the back of the dealership, the sun was shining, the anticipation was unbearable. As we searched around trying to locate it, the salesman was trying to wind me up saying that the front bumper had been torn off whilst coming off the transporter and maybe the car was in the bodyshop getting fixed. Anyway we finally found my car and I went through all the checks advised by this forum. To my horror the bottom of the front spoiler had been scraped and there are many scratches also there was some marks on the edge of the bonnet where the wiper had hit. My happiness quickly turned to dissapointment... To add to this they had ordered the wrong colour. To save a few pounds I ordered the plain black but the car was obsidian, a £600 extra in the UK.

This is my first mercedes and I am not impressed!! Am i the only one to experience these problems? The dealer has offered to re spray the bottom of the spoiler and touch up the marks on the edge of bonnet. They have given me the metallic obsidian for £300 and thrown in mats for free.

What should I do? Should I accept this? The scratches are on the bottom of the front spoiler and cant be seen only if you get down and look up.
Since you will be scratching the bottom of the front spoiler many times over while owning the car, I wouldn't let that stop me from taking it especially since they are touching it up now. Unless you absolutely want the non-metallic black, I would go ahead and take the Obsidian for half-price and the price of the floor mats alone probably makes up for the other half. Just for fun, why not ask them to throw in the plexiglass windscreen also?

Yes, you did not have a great dealer experience but as you can see from reading this forum, a lot of other people did not either. That is a shame because we all expect more from Mercedes but don't let it dampen your enjoyment of this great car.

·
Registered
R171 SLK200 2005
475 Posts
That is a real bummer - about the scratches and colour mix up. [:(]

At least the dealer is going to sort them out, and the metallic paint at half price is a good bargin. I'll also say that I think the metallic black will be better for the UK, since it will give you car a good "glow" all year round - whereas non-metallic black, to me, seems quite dull when the sun isn't shining!!! [8D]

The mats are £50 so to get them thrown in, is quite good. It might be worthwhile trying to get something more out of them - the plexi glass wind deflector could be pushing it!! [}:)] Always worth a try though!!

But at the end of the day - it comes down to the fact whether you'll be happy with the car, and the colour that it is.

·
Registered
06 SLK350 Obs Blk,
51 Posts
Just my opinion, my English friend, but you're being way too understanding. As I'm sure you're coughing up close to the same $50-$60K that I pd for my SLK, I would expect nothing but absolute perfection. The color is their mistake and they should eat the additional cost. My vehicle is Obs Blk with ash leather. The glow of the black metalic is stunning. Keep the Obsidian. BTW...The mats are standard in US. Don't get me wrong, I'm happier than a whore on a Navy ship with my ObsBlk SLK350. But my dealer here in Boston, Massachusetts made sure the vehicle was pristene when delivered. No surprises. Sorry to be so direct, but I think you're being taken.

bobby ;)

·
Registered
SLK350
365 Posts
yippym

While you may in the end accept the car, I would negotiate as follows:

1. The colour is their mistake. Tell them that you REALLY wanted the plain black, and the you would RELUCTANTLY accept the obsblack, at their cost. I once ordered a BMW which arrived with $5000 worth of options that I did not order. I stuck to the position that, if I wanted it, I would have ordered it. Their mistake, their cost. (If you ordered the more expensive option by mistake, do you think they would discount it?) I did not pay a cent towards it. Do not offer anything - there is no logic to 300 quid.

Moreover, they owe you money for the damage. I would argue that they need to give you a voucher to buy accessories or services for around 500 quid. You may accept something a bit lower, but I would start there, and hang tough for a while.

It is simply amazing how some dealers (and people) would try to get you to pay for their mistakes. Don't let them.

cheers
roadsta

·
Registered
SLK 350
155 Posts
Roadsta is right. You shouldn't pay anything for errors by the dealer or the factory. I too heard about the scraping the bottom of the front bumper from others on this site. My dealer told me the very first car they got in, (a demo), was scratched when removing it from the car carrier.

Hearing all these horror stories made me tell all this to my dealer BEFORE it arrived and that I expected nothing less than perfection. I was NOT disappointed, it arrived perfect. I got 20% across the board discounts on any accessory from the dealer as an unexpected bonus.

Mats are ALWAYS free , even on the 2005 Hyundai that I bought (you know, when it is wet out side and I don't want to drive the SLK I drive the Hyundai), don't let the dealer kid you about anything, they are making plenty!

·
Registered
SLK350
175 Posts
Don't even consider accepting the car and paying the extra for a colour you didn't order - it's their mistake, it must be their cost. Offer to accept the car AFTER all scratches etc have been fixed, compensation for the stress and disappointment has been offered and they agree to not charge for their error on the colour.

It's unbelievable the dealers think they can charge for their mistakes! They should be offering compensation, not charging you. Be firm and do not accept anything less tha what you are COMPLETELY satisfied with. No offence, but this is not a Ford Fiesta you're buying, it's a £35,000+ luxury sports car!!

·
Registered
350 SLK
11 Posts
THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD TAKE THE CAR !!! IT SHOULD NOT BE SCRATCHED OR DENTED !! IF I WERE YOU I WOULD TELL THE DEALER OR SHOULD I SAY (STEALER) TO SHOVE THE CAR UP HIS A*%S,WHO ARE THEY TRYING TO KID ? IF YOU LET IT GO IN A BODY SHOP IT WILL COME OUT WITH MORE SCRATCHES THAN WHEN IT WENT IN.I PICKED UP MY SLK 350 AND IT WAS FANTASTIC AS IT SHOULD BE,IF YOU CAN DO WITHOUT HAVING THE CAR THEN I WOULD WAIT UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. BUT ITS UP TO YOU, IF YOU REFUSE THE CAR YOU COULD ALWAYS WAIT FOR THE TRI TURBO DIESEL ITS QUICKER THAN THE V6 PETROL AND RETURNS ALMOST 38 MPG.AS FOR ME - I SOLD MINE AFTER 4 MONTHS JUST COULD NOT GET ON WITH 7 SPEED AUTO WHEN DRIVING REALLY FAST ,BUT THATS THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY WAS NOT TO MY LIKING. CHEERS & HAPPY DRIVING

·
Registered
237 Posts
roadsta - 3/13/2005 6:47 AM

yippym

While you may in the end accept the car, I would negotiate as follows:

1. The colour is their mistake. Tell them that you REALLY wanted the plain black, and the you would RELUCTANTLY accept the obsblack, at their cost. I once ordered a BMW which arrived with $5000 worth of options that I did not order. I stuck to the position that, if I wanted it, I would have ordered it. Their mistake, their cost. (If you ordered the more expensive option by mistake, do you think they would discount it?) I did not pay a cent towards it. Do not offer anything - there is no logic to 300 quid.

Moreover, they owe you money for the damage. I would argue that they need to give you a voucher to buy accessories or services for around 500 quid. You may accept something a bit lower, but I would start there, and hang tough for a while.

It is simply amazing how some dealers (and people) would try to get you to pay for their mistakes. Don't let them.

cheers
roadsta

I totally agree with roadsta. You dont pay for their mistakes. But they have to pay for their mistakes. keke... because u r the customer! Well the very most ask them to take back the car. And give u the car that u ordered in the first place!

Cheers...

·
Registered
06 SLK 55 Firemist
1,580 Posts
mobbster - 3/13/2005 11:55 AM

THERE IS NO WAY I WOULD TAKE THE CAR !!! IT SHOULD NOT BE SCRATCHED OR DENTED !! IF I WERE YOU I WOULD TELL THE DEALER OR SHOULD I SAY (STEALER) TO SHOVE THE CAR UP HIS A*%S,WHO ARE THEY TRYING TO KID ? IF YOU LET IT GO IN A BODY SHOP IT WILL COME OUT WITH MORE SCRATCHES THAN WHEN IT WENT IN.I PICKED UP MY SLK 350 AND IT WAS FANTASTIC AS IT SHOULD BE,IF YOU CAN DO WITHOUT HAVING THE CAR THEN I WOULD WAIT UNTIL YOU GET WHAT YOU WANTED IN THE FIRST PLACE. BUT ITS UP TO YOU, IF YOU REFUSE THE CAR YOU COULD ALWAYS WAIT FOR THE TRI TURBO DIESEL ITS QUICKER THAN THE V6 PETROL AND RETURNS ALMOST 38 MPG.AS FOR ME - I SOLD MINE AFTER 4 MONTHS JUST COULD NOT GET ON WITH 7 SPEED AUTO WHEN DRIVING REALLY FAST ,BUT THATS THE ONLY THING I CAN SAY WAS NOT TO MY LIKING. CHEERS & HAPPY DRIVING
Please stop SHOUTING. I can understand if you are upset to YELL a little, but not the entire post. All caps posts are nearly impossible to read and very annoying.

·
Registered
2007 ML320 CDI - Silver/Ash
355 Posts
If you like the color, keep the car and skip the next paragraph.

If you do not like color, and it is not what you ordered, then reorder a new one. You will miss all the great top down Spring weather. You will also miss out on being one of the first to be driving this great new Benz. We all know how cool it is to be one of the first with a new car like this and getting all the attention that comes with it. (Def. one of the reasons why I bought the car) [:)]

Now we move onto the next problem, the car is damaged
and you want to keep it. Very simple here: The dealer should completely repair the damage to your satisfaction.

Let us know which way you go and hopefully this resolves to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
SLK 350
2,327 Posts
If you do decide to take the car, under whatever terms you are able to arrange, resolve yourself to put all of this initial unfortunate business behind you. Enjoy your car with no regrets. "I should have done this" or "why didn't I do that" will only make you less happy with your wonderful car.

·
Registered
350 SLK
11 Posts
sorry for shouting !! but mb stealers make me mad[:(!][:(!] over here in the uk we dont get spring its usually all rain for most of the year & when the sun comes out you can bet your last $ or £ its when your at work !! cheers[:D]

·
Registered
SLK350
108 Posts
You should not pay for the dealer's error. Period end of discussion. As far as the scratches and damages go, the dealer has insurance for this and believe me they are getting paid for the damage. They should discount the car too for the damage, as it is technically no longer factory new.

·
BenzWorld R171 Host
SLK350
1,410 Posts
Agreed, if the Colour error is totally the dealers fault, refuse to pay the 300 quid.

Why should you be subsidising their error to the tune of 300 quid?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts