Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I think this was brought up before. I might go to this MB wrecker in Toronto to look for a W140-W202 steering wheel which I would like to put on instead of this huge stock one. If I get the steering what exactly else would I need? I can just rip out the airbag or not plug that in at all since I dont have the airbag option?

Attachments

·
Registered
573 Posts
let me know how u work out with the new wheel. i tried putting in a wheel from a w124 e-class....but found that as our cars don't have the up/down movement option for the steering wheel, a fair portion of the instrumentation was lost behind the smaller wheel. so i went right back to the original wheel.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not get the steering wheel yet. That is what I was wondering aswell since I dont have the tilt option and putting on a smaller wheel...I wont see all the gauges clearly anymore.

Is it still an easy swap and how much vision of the gauges do I lose?

·
Registered
573 Posts
i felt the vision loss was too much....it would vary based on how you adjust your seat, but with my seating position i lost the top of the speedometer, and a fair portion of the total instruments from left and right.

in the swap (at least with the w124) it was pretty straightforward. airbag was plug and play. but there was some small part in the back that needed to be replaced or something. i don't remember the details now.

other than the loss of instrument vision, it looked good (it was a leather / zebrano mix) and felt much better than the original.

·
Registered
1988 560SEL
195 Posts
I have an 88 560sel and the leather on the top of the wheel is burned off from the sun. I have the airbag so is the w140 wheel a direct bolt on with the airbag?? and if so how much for a used one at the wreckers?? And just to be a pest, what wreckers are in Toronto that have a good supply of Mercedes parts?
Thanks,

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Supersport, what color is your interior and wheelskin? It looks gray a little bit, then it looks white.
-Joe

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Supersport, the wheelskin looks nice. However, I think the reason that so many people want to switch their steering wheel is that they are about the same size as a bus steering wheel.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the quote "size does matter" is true with this topic![:)]

·
Registered
420 SEL
223 Posts
The color of my interior is gray, the cover is 2 tone gray and black it's just a poor pic. You can go with one solid color if prefered. I agree about the size of the steering wheel being better suited for a bus but I think it kind of fits in with the mass of the car.[:)]

·
Registered
81' 300SD, 82' 300D
4,021 Posts
Personally, I like the bigger 16" diameter steering wheels like on the 126 and 123. They're pretty retro, small diameter steering wheels on new cars are a dime a dozen now. MB designed those wheels like that for two good reasons. Number 1, a large wheel with a large padded section will contain and distribute the impact of your body in the event of a front end crash (on non-airbag equipped models), number 2, tests showed that a steering wheel that was the width of the driver's shoulders would be less fatiguing on long drives to the driver. And, you can clearly see the instrument cluster, unobstructed with the original steering wheel, and I've heard that it's easier to handle the heavy 126 with a bigger steering wheel than with a smaller steering wheel.
-Joe

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont know I think it would be easier to do little maneuvers and turns with a 90's MB wheel which is slightly smaller.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts