Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003, W203 (C240)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a W203, C-240, 4matic (year of prod. 2003). I would like to use some parts of it in another "similar" car; that means an other W203, C-240 with 4matic from the same year.

I read in this discussion, that it's possible to swap the electronic control modules between the same models, like described above.
I know, the modules are programmed to "accept" each other. So if i swap only 1 module from my car to the other, it won't work.
But what if i swap all of the modules, plus the electronic for the ignition key, and the middle console (where ESP... is located) ?
If the VIN numbers are the same, then it should be possible or not ?

Is it possible to swap the transmission or at least the engine from a (W203, C-240, 4matic, year of prod.=2003) to a same model WITHOUT 4matic ?

Thanks for your advice,
Daniel

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
There are different types of coding that is done on the various electronic components in your car. Some require no coding at all, some simply require coding for the various options your specific car has, while others must be coded specifically to your VIN and can only be coded once as a "virgin" part. Examples of parts on the W203 that need no coding are the automatic gearshift module and TCU. Examples of W203 parts that might need "simple" coding and can be re-coded as needed are the SAMs, door controllers, seat controller, overhead control panel. upper control panel and the steering column module. Other parts like the ignition switch, instrument cluster and ECU require special coding to match your car's VIN and once done, cannot be re-coded, and also will not function if moved to a different car.

The engines and transmissions for a C240 RWD vs. 4MATIC are different. The differences in the engine are just cosmetic and include things like a different the oil pan design and accessory mounts to accommodate the front differential and axles on the 4MATIC. The transmission will also have cosmetic differences for mounting the transfer case, but I believe it also uses different gear ratios. In a pinch, it might be possible to adapt the engine and transmission for a swap, but I cannot promise that.

·
Registered
2003, W203 (C240)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are different types of coding that is done on the various electronic components in your car. Some require no coding at all, some simply require coding for the various options your specific car has, while others must be coded specifically to your VIN and can only be coded once as a "virgin" part. Examples of parts on the W203 that need no coding are the automatic gearshift module and TCU. Examples of W203 parts that might need "simple" coding and can be re-coded as needed are the SAMs, door controllers, seat controller, overhead control panel. upper control panel and the steering column module. Other parts like the ignition switch, instrument cluster and ECU require special coding to match your car's VIN and once done, cannot be re-coded, and also will not function if moved to a different car.
Thanx for the explanation. In my case there is the following situation. There is 2 cars:
Car_A: W203, C 240, 4matic, elegance, year of prod. 2003
Car_B: W203, C 240, 4matic, classic, year of prod. 2003
(I guess the VIN is also the same, but i didn't check it yet.)
If i understand you correct, i can not move the ECU or the instrument cluster from Car_A to Car_B.

But i would like to move ALL of the control units (automatic gearshift module, TCU, SAMs, etc.) from Car_A to Car_B. I think they are alredy matched together in Car_A. So moving ALL of these from Car_A to Car_B the electronic wouldn't "notice", they were moved (because they were alredy matched together in Car_A). Sensors, actuators don't store information (at least in older models). That would also mean: i had to start Car_B with the ignition key of Car_A.
Do I understand something wrong?

Thanx again,
Daniel

·
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
18,991 Posts
That is possible, but you may get into a "slippery slope" situation that will end up costing you more time and money than just fixing the underlying problem. BTW, what is the problem that has you wanting to swap parts?

·
Registered
2003, W203 (C240)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is possible, but you may get into a "slippery slope" situation that will end up costing you more time and money than just fixing the underlying problem. BTW, what is the problem that has you wanting to swap parts?
Ok, thanx for the hint.
The problem is, i would like to use my old car ('Car_A' fom the post above) as spare parts for an almost identical car ('Car_B'). I guess, the mechanical parts (engie, transmission, ...) will be ok. I would have been interested, if the same holds for the electronic too.
What problems could i have moving all of the electronic ?

·
18,991 Posts
OK, so you have no problem now, but you just want to be prepared in case something fails. That's fine. There are many electronic parts on those cars that can be swapped easily, and likely with no coding needed at all as long as the cars are optioned the same. SAMs, overhead control panel, upper console control panel, shifter, TCU, radio, SRS controller, seat controllers, door controllers, and others are all simple swaps. Where you get into VIN-coded parts is with the ECU, EIS (ignition switch), instrument cluster and ESL (steering lock). If one of those needed replacing, then you'd need them all. But I think before I did that, I'd look into the ways that the used part can be "erased" and appear as "virgin" so that it can then be individually coded to your car. For example, if the instrument cluster fail,s you can have the mileage on the donor zeroed, and then with SDS it can easily re-code to your car.

·
Registered
2003, W203 (C240)
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, so you have no problem now, but you just want to be prepared in case something fails. That's fine. There are many electronic parts on those cars that can be swapped easily, and likely with no coding needed at all as long as the cars are optioned the same. SAMs, overhead control panel, upper console control panel, shifter, TCU, radio, SRS controller, seat controllers, door controllers, and others are all simple swaps. Where you get into VIN-coded parts is with the ECU, EIS (ignition switch), instrument cluster and ESL (steering lock). If one of those needed replacing, then you'd need them all. But I think before I did that, I'd look into the ways that the used part can be "erased" and appear as "virgin" so that it can then be individually coded to your car. For example, if the instrument cluster fail,s you can have the mileage on the donor zeroed, and then with SDS it can easily re-code to your car.
Thank you very much for this very good explanation.
Do you allow me a last question ?
Are the seat- and door controllers located physically in the same module (or "black-box") ?

Thank you again,
Daniel

·
18,991 Posts
The door controllers are in the door, the seat controller are under the seats.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts