Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a White / Tan Lux edtion for my wife, wanted the sport grill, could not live with the black / grey interior, and most of all the cheap looking aluminum trim inside instead of wood. Now I would like to buy a sport grill and get rid of the stand up hood ornament. Anyone do this yet? Cost of the sport grill and round cover to replace the hood ornament. Easy to swap parts?
Thanks for all replys.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just bought a White / Tan Lux edtion for my wife, wanted the sport grill, could not live with the black / grey interior, and most of all the cheap looking aluminum trim inside instead of wood. Now I would like to buy a sport grill and get rid of the stand up hood ornament. Anyone do this yet? Cost of the sport grill and round cover to replace the hood ornament. Easy to swap parts?
Thanks for all replys.
The dealership will do it for you. It shouldn't cost more than $350 for parts and labor. If it costs more, they are ripping you off.

My dad did the exact same thing when he bought his last week. My parents hated the aluminum trim too (I'm okay with it), so they got a black on black luxury with wood trim and swapped out the grill. It looks awesome.

I think the luxury grill was a big mistake. No one wants it.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The lux grille is not all bad: I've had trouble telling a C-Class from an S-Class when coming towards me on the road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The lux grille is not all bad: I've had trouble telling a C-Class from an S-Class when coming towards me on the road.
Naah not all that bad at all. I guess it depends on what you're looking for. Yet, I think you'll see more people opting to swap out the grill than keep it. Nonetheless, you're right. It does look smooth in certain colors.

·
Registered
292 Posts
For me, I don't like the luxury grill with the current headlamps as much.

The old style grills looked good on say the W203, with those gorgeous double headlamps. With the new model, I think the sport grill is very attractive.

Nevertheless, the luxury grill still presents elegance as intended.

Funny, with regards to the trim inside. I actually wanted the aluminum look rather than the wood, and that is why we are all different. :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I swapped my sport grill for a lux grill becasue I got it it for $50 on ebay because I wanted to have the gray in my grill painted black. Just turn the butterfly screw and remove the two bolts attaching the arm to grill and just pull that bad boy out and replace it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I swapped my sport grill for a lux grill becasue I got it it for $50 on ebay because I wanted to have the gray in my grill painted black. Just turn the butterfly screw and remove the two bolts attaching the arm to grill and just pull that bad boy out and replace it.
You got that from someone who swapped theirs out for the sport.

Everyone goes home happy :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
To summarize:

It's not that expensive. It's not that hard.

I'm looking to put the Sport grill on my Lux...just haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Well Luxury i would expect more features and the Sport is Sport for a reason. The aluminum is nice The luxury hood emblem is an 80's throwback. There is no HUGE differences between Sport and Luxury.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Some of the differences are:

Sport
3 spoke steering wheel and aluminum trim. (Except C350 Sport trim is birds eye maple.) AMG Sportline bodywork including front air dam, flared side body sills, rear bumper insert over exhaust, one less chrome body molding and a firmer, half inch lower suspension. Tires are staggered and rims are more aggressive. Star in the 3 finned grill. Cross-drilled front rotors.

Luxury
Same size wheels and tires all around, burl walnut interior trim, stitching and seat design, 4 spoke steering wheel, traditional grill with star on hood, white comes with tan interior, and the lack of AMG Sportline body effects. The Luxury costs $260 more.

The grill swap is very popular for those who buy white w/tan interior.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think the luxury grill was a big mistake. No one wants it.
I wanted it. After literally decades of dreaming of owning one, I wasn't about to buy a Mercedes four-door sedan without something at least resembling a traditional Mercedes grill and the hood ornament.

I think the sports grill looks very nice...on the sports cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts