Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another question for the mechanically inclined members here. I was pondering if it was possible to swap the internals(pistons,rods etc) from an E55 kompressor into a CLK 55 or would i be better off getting custom low compression pistons and rods? The reason being is I want to swap my clk430 to a CLK55 engine and put my blower on it and it would be nice to utilize the low compression pistons from the E55 so I could build more boost! I would think with this type of set up running 12 psi of boost I would be around the 650 HP mark(to the crank of course) running 10's! Any thoughts on the subject and what would all be involved would be much appreciated!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the advice but I have to much money in my CLK430 body to sell it, and I will never be happy with the power I am limited to on the 4.3L. I also hear it is not to difficult to convert my 430 to a CLK55.

·
Registered
550 Posts
In the 10's?? So this is not a daily driver anymore :eek:. to pull those kind of #'s you are looking at chassis work and $$$. Why not go the proven rte with a 55k motor swap? Still a TON of work and $$$ but proven combination to get you in the 11's. Sure would be cool to see a 430 or any street driven clk in the 10's. Best of luck

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Blackbenz running very low 11's

Blackbenz is running very low 11's in the same chasis. I dont see why I couldnt break into the high 10's with the same 55 engine strengthened to run a little more boost on the same stock chasis? I would prob need to upgrade the axles and shaft.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Yes.. nooooo way would the stock 430 driveline hold up to that abuse if not scatter on the first run. To my knowledge Blackbenz, aka BAD A$$ benz:bowdown: was getting best at 11.70 but im not him. He is running a modded suspension but 10's are still a LONG way from 11.70. At that end of the spectrum the #'s get harder and harder to make. Ive done 9's in sportsman class and Ill say it IS one heck of a ride. Im not saying the clk cant do it as I drive a 55 now myself (stock form dependable daily driver). I am saying that the stock suspension will NOT support 10's with any kind of safety. Also I dont see how the stock rear setup will be able to plant that much power to run those times. Needs that weight transferr to use all that grunt as Im sure Blackbenz can attest:thumbsup:

·
Registered
550 Posts
Also dont forget you need to stop that beast. No problems with the brakes on the 55 but I think the 430's would give you trouble. Im not trying to shoot down your idea... just wanna make sure you survive to do the post on how ya did it!! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
PIG With LIPSTICK Makin HP Costs $$$

Whats with this whole Size(power) thing? Internals of 55 aren't any different from a 430 other than bore and stroke. You can take a 430 to same HP as a 55. A complete rebalanced stock OEM 430 crank/rod/piston assy would definetly be needed. Nikisil and Cryo not necessary. A intercooler is a huge power up as well as supercharged specific ignition, and cams w/ header custom free-flow full exhaust. Then trans, axls,.....
If a 55 motor could make enough to push a pig like ours to 11.02s, a 4.3 would only need another 83 HP!!! . It's not impossible just not cheap or easy. Still easier/cheaper than buying a whole 55 motor and paying for it to be machined.
Turbos can make HP way beyond 800. Food for thought

Good Luck!!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Suspension and brakes

The reason for the 55 engine is I could produce more power with less strain on the engine because of larger displacement.I want to keep the car reliable and street driven which makes the project even more challenging. I do have slotted cross drilled rotors with kevlar racing pads, i hope that would stop me. In regards to the suspension, are you suggesting I would need a drag link or something? The internals as far as I know on the E55 k have forged rods and bearings, the crank is strengthened and balanced , the pistons are low compression and the block is also strengthened to withstand fairly decent amounts of boost. The clk 55 amg I believe has strengthened internals (but not to the extent of the E55 k) and has NA compression pistons and not sure if the block is any stronger, which I dont believe are capable of running 12psi of boost. The clk55 block might not be any stronger than a 430, if anything mine might be stronger because they are the same block but i have a smaller bore which should give me thicker sidewalls. Hary you might be right due to cost I might be better off with the 430 but I would still strengthen everything.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
IT TRUE .. SIZE DOES MATTER

Your missin the engineers golden rule. Efficiency.
F1 teams make giant #'s the old fashioned way. Small and Turbo charged. Larger means heavier, slower to accelarate; poor power gains. Small means quick, fast and very powerful. Thats why engineers always build the smallest lightest engine possible. Manufacturers take the larger route cause their cheap, and fast to just tool-up larger. Not more efficient.
P.S. MB has released a PR statement that the entire lineup will be turbo charged and have SMALLER engines.
Food for thought.

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
You gonna need to up your game & replace the whole caliper/ rotor setup if you plan on ballistic acceleration. I have Porterfield Kevlar pads with slotted/drilled rotors F&R on my Cab. Better, just not up to super speed standard

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I believe I have the same setup!

I believe I have the same exact setup on the brakes! Your thinking I would need to upgrade to a big brake kit? What about the suspension?

·
Registered
713 Posts
man i love this conversation nastyclk

I believe I have the same exact setup on the brakes! Your thinking I would need to upgrade to a big brake kit? What about the suspension?
there is very good information in this post, i think you have inspired me to look at a few things myself....good luck to you bro...

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
PORTERFIELDS WAY BETTER THAN OEM

Porterfield's have excellent feel. Pedal pressure, very linear right up to full panic stop. Even with slotted/drilled rotor slow speed trailing brake corners have a smooth transition.I know its sounds corny but Porterfields have almost no brake dust. I did my C5 Corvette with Carbon fiber/ceramics slotted/drilled rotors. C5 weren't as smooth in response. About the same pull. But C5 wheels were always black/brown

·
Banned
2,004 Posts
Nasty CLK, Your asking about a combo of ballistic acceleration needing rear launch traction. And its also going to need body control for handling and OEM weight factor Its going to have to be externally adjustable. Shock stiffness and spring settings as well.
Going with a least a 4 piston brake caliper and a Rotor with an Aluminum should work. A 6 piston caliper would stop a bullet.
Blackbenzz has a car you should see. Power and grace. Closest to what your going for. He's a real cool guy, ask him what problems he had.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I think I might listen to Hary and stick to the 4.3L and.....?

I wanted to confirm if the 4.3L M113 was an open deck and how is it different compared to the W211 E55 K in terms of strength and features. If it is in fact an open deck I might be leaning towards replacing the silicon aluminum sleeves with iron sleeves and installing balanced and cryo treated crankshaft with forged rods, pistons,bearings etc! I would then try to run the Eaton MP112 at max which I believe is 12 lbs if the adiabatic heat doesnt kill me!

P.S. Hary sent you a little something for your advice and help, keep it just between us please!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can I supercharge my AMG 2001 E55? If so which supercharger is the best choice? There is a Genuine, Brand New OEM Mercedes-Benz Supercharger in the factory box Mercedes part number 1110901080 for sale on e bay. Can somebody guide me? I am a reasonably competent mechanic, having built and raced various Lotus 7s etc, but a bit out of my comfort zone here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts