Registered
2001 SLK 320 Sport
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to get:

AMG Lowering Springs
Bilstein Sport Shocks
H&R Sway Bar

Would i get handling performance similar to or better than some AMG's???

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
///AMG springs are made by Eibach as far as I know, not that it's a big deal one way or the other.

You don't indicate in your avatar which SLK you have or what year, and that would a big help. The early SLK's didn't have a rear sway bar and the newer ones do.

If you have an early car the rear suspension pretty much has to come out in order to get the bar in place, with the newer ones you can go to a stiffer bar in front and stiffer springs in back to get almost the same handling performance as a '32.

Shocks are a matter of personal choice, but I think if I had the option I would go with adjustable shocks, that way you can tailor the car to suit your driving habits.

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
01' SLK 320 Sport
OK, you have a rear sway bar.
Please add that little bit of info above to your avatar, the rest of the info should be reasonably clear... :thumbsup:

The performance should come at least close to ///AMG cars, but without the additional power it will be hard to prove it... :D

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
If you are interested I have a brand new set of Euro SLK32 Springs. I believe they are slightly lower and stiffer than the US springs. Right after I purchased them I recieved a deal on RENNtech springs that was too good to pass up so the Euro springs were never installed.

Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
SLK..lower than yours
1,567 Posts
I believe the H&R rear sway bar is a little thicker / stiffer than the one on the 32'..... but i havnt confirmed this, i installed it on my 320' and it sure made a hell of a diference... still havnt installed the front but ill do so soon.... i also have H&R sport springs and KONI adjustable shocks.... #2 spring pads front & rear (very low, lots of camber)

·
Registered
SLK 320 BRABUS Modded
2,398 Posts
XTC has a few diff coilover sets on the site.

·
Registered
14,926 Posts
I believe the H&R rear sway bar is a little thicker / stiffer than the one on the 32'..... but I haven’t confirmed this, I installed it on my 320' and it sure made a hell of a difference... still haven’t installed the front but I’ll do so soon.... I also have H&R sport springs and KONI adjustable shocks.... #2 spring pads front & rear (very low, lots of camber)
Guessing at something is kind of like blowing smoke in the wind, you can work all day at it and still have nothing to show for it.
How about you take some accurate measurements and then tell us what you have?
If and when you change the front one you can bet that handling will change again.
There is a reason for selling them in sets… :)

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
348 Posts
Euro Springs and Nürburgrings

If you are interested I have a brand new set of Euro SLK32 Springs. I believe they are slightly lower and stiffer than the US springs. Right after I purchased them I recieved a deal on RENNtech springs that was too good to pass up so the Euro springs were never installed.

Let me know if you are interested.
I might be interested if you still have the euro springs, 430. BTW, was anyone ever successful at procuring an AMG Nürburgring suspension for the SLK32 in the states? I read SteveL's threads from some time back, and it looked like there was interest but no success...

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
I do still have the Euro Springs.

As far as I know no one was successfully able to procure the Nürburgring suspension. The company that claimed they could get and import them ran into a number of issues shortly after making this claim. I think most people got their money back but a number of people waited 6+ months.

·
Registered
2003 SLK32
348 Posts
I do still have the Euro Springs.

As far as I know no one was successfully able to procure the Nürburgring suspension. The company that claimed they could get and import them ran into a number of issues shortly after making this claim. I think most people got their money back but a number of people waited 6+ months.
I spoke to a German contact today who may be able to get the Nürburgring suspension parts. Does anyone have the part numbers? That would be very helpful. If I am successful, I will see about getting more sets.

I am definitely interested in the Euro springs if they are stiffer and lower, but let me see if I can make the AMG parts happen. I should know within a week or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts