Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a 1982 300D, My problem is that the for some reason the toe in on the front wheels keeps on slipping around. the wheels will either be angled inward or outward, which really affects handling, tire noise and wears through one side of the tire within a 2000 miles. I constantly have the car aligned but the wheels will eventually shift around to one position or another. I dont know if the second problem is associated with the toe in problem, but I have about 2 inches of steering play on the right side and 1 inch on the left. Most of the suspension is probally as old as the car (330K miles) The mechanic said replacing the tierod ends and the ball joints would solve the problem but I want to get second opinions. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
85 300GD LWB
501 Posts
Wibble wobble!!

I'd say have a look at the tie rod ends and ball joints when the car is up on the lift and see whats up. Shouldn't be too hard to see if they are loose. Check the wheel bearings also.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved.

Checked out the suspension, the ball joints are severely worn, and the tie-rod ends could use replacement, and the mechanic said something was wrong with the control arm. About 500 bucks for parts and labor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem solved.

Checked out the suspension, the ball joints are severely worn, and the tie-rod ends could use replacement, and the mechanic said something was wrong with the control arm. About 500 bucks for parts and labor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.