Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So. Im getting new wheels and i would then obviously want to lower the ride height. Obviously new suspension and springs would be the preffered choice but how much worse would it be just to get new springs and keep the factory shocks?

By just getting new springs, which is far cheaper, i'd get the desired effect but apparently the ride would be shocking. How true is this? Wouldnt just getting new springs screw up my shocks anway, wouldnt that affect the piston stroke?

I know im going to have to sacrifice comfort for reduction in body roll and ride height but i'd rather keep it as caomfartable as i can.

·
Registered
190e 2.0 litre Euro
211 Posts
As you note lowered springs with standard shocks will stress the shocks they will last no time. Its best to get a full lowering kit and swallow the cost. And yes you stand a much better change of having a lousy ride as the shocks "bottom out" so to speak....

Mike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn

ok i guess thats fair. Seems like i'll need a few more beans before i do the upgrade then. Ah well i suppose i'll thank myself when im crusing in my nice low-but-still-comfy benz.

·
Registered
'85 2.3-16 '99 C280 '11 GLK350
4,804 Posts
"still comfy"? I don't think so.

Lowering springs (1.5" or more) and the sport shocks is not going to be able to preserve the OEM "ride." It will give you a car that will take a highway curve a bit faster while feeling more stable at speed, but in urban driving you will be more concious of expansion joints, dips, speed bumps and other irregular surfaces. It's a trade off.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i suppose i should have said "relatively" comfy.

1.5" would be a pretty big drop, i dont even think theres much more than that between the guards and the tyres already, maybe 2 inches at the most. 1 inch would be enough for me i think, i want to be able to still turn the wheels full lock with all my fat-ass friends in the car. [:D]

by the way my car is a 1992 180e (same as the 1.8l 190e's just with fewer options that allows us Aussies to buy a Merc without paying Luxury Tax)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
now that i think about it arent there some rubber spacers you can remove to lower the car an inch or so?

·
Registered
190e 2.0 litre Euro
211 Posts
Yep there are, there are 4 sizes of spring shims at the front a three at the back. The diff between 1 (lowest) and 4 (highest) is 15mm but due to the way the set up is designed the actual drop is twice that.

Mine had 4s at the front and only 1s at the back so lots of air over the front wheels. I put numbers 1s in
and now the back and front are equal. The handling is better for the change but the ride is harsher but not much worse.

The way to check best is get a torch and get your head under the arch and try to spot the bumps on the lowest part of the rubber shim. one bump is No 1 shim etc...

Mike.

·
Registered
190E Benz
109 Posts
rah0ul - 2/23/2005 6:31 PM

well i suppose i should have said "relatively" comfy.

1.5" would be a pretty big drop, i dont even think theres much more than that between the guards and the tyres already, maybe 2 inches at the most. 1 inch would be enough for me i think, i want to be able to still turn the wheels full lock with all my fat-ass friends in the car. [:D]

by the way my car is a 1992 180e (same as the 1.8l 190e's just with fewer options that allows us Aussies to buy a Merc without paying Luxury Tax)
I got lucky and found myself a nice 190E here in Oz :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts