Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,
today I just received a call from the UPS to receive my Koni shocks and Eibach springs. I am wondering if there are any important things that I have to take care of while installing the parts and how to adjust the shocks and what level will be suitable for my car when putting in mind that it is a daily use car making about 1000 kilometer every week.

waiting for your help guys ....

·
Registered
2007 Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Coupe
791 Posts
Dear all,
today I just received a call from the UPS to receive my Koni shocks and Eibach springs. I am wondering if there are any important things that I have to take care of while installing the parts and how to adjust the shocks and what level will be suitable for my car when putting in mind that it is a daily use car making about 1000 kilometer every week.

waiting for your help guys ....
Hi mate.

I have Koni's and Eibach's.

The springs - No problems. Just swap them with the existing ones. You may want to get some smaller spring pads to finish off the drop.

Koni's - Right, the Koni's have 3 settings (if you have the same ones I have).

The first setting is the softest setting.
The third setting is the hardest setting.

I asked around as well to work out what setting I should use.
It all depends on what you want. I was told that the 3rd setting would be too hard for everyday use. I also thought that putting them on the softest setting would kinda negate the whole reason for buying Koni's. So I opted for the 2nd setting (meduim).

They are fine and the ride has been nicely stiffened. However, I did start to wonder whether I should have put them on the hardest setting as there is still alittle lean in corners. But having said that, when I'm driving around, the back does sometimes feel alittle hard so I'm going to leave them on the medium setting!

CLKMAN will beg to differ, I'm sure. But he craves the "slammed", no wheel arch gap, wide as fu#k, stiff as hell kinda ride!! :eek: hee hee

One other thing you should note.

I first put my Eibach's on and then installed smaller spring pads to get the car sitting as I wanted. I then installed the Koni's at a later date.

Now, the Koni's are obviously stiffer shocks and they will therefore support more weight than your existing shocks do (at the moment, your stock springs are holding most of the weight of your car and the existings shocks are holding alittle bit of the weight).

When I installed my Koni's, the car sat about 5-7mm higher because the Koni's and the stiffer springs shared the weight more - hence a higher ride height.

So what I'm saying is, Get your Koni's on at the same time as your springs BEFORE deciding what spring pads to go for.

Another thing I noticed. The Koni's have a metal dust cover at the top of the shock (where the rod enters the shock). You slide this cover out of the way up the rod in order to push the button in to adjust the stiffness.

When you return the dust cover after adjusting the shock, it is held in place by friction. Unfortunately, they always seemed to "ping" of because they can't get a good enough grip to stay in place (I'm sure you will know what I mean pretty soon!!).

So what I did was to stick blu-tac all round the dust covers to stick them in place. This will stop them popping off later on and "jingling" away like a cow!!

Take your time and make sure you stick'em down good!!

IMPORTANT:

When you install the Koni's, make sure you have the cars weight on the spring when you do them up. This will prevent destroying the bushes on the shocks. It's hard to explain.... if you installed your shocks with no weight on the suspension, when you finally lower it, the shock depresses and will naturally "lean" slightly. This will then twist the bushes slightly and will kill them in due course.

Please ask if you do not understand this - I'm trying to explain it the best way I can.

Hope my ramblings are of use to you.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
really needed that, thanks a lot man

I will post some pic for the car after installing the suspension

1 - 8 of 8 Posts