Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 SE (1989), 304,000 km.
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I wanted to bounce this off you guys for sound advice. I'd really like to get rid of the annoying creaking sound when I go over bumps -- as well as the bumpy feeling when going on non-asphalt roads, even when my tires are correctly inflated. I had one of the lower ball joints replaced 2 years back, so that I could pass the mandatory annual vehicle-inspection test here.)

1) Apart from 2 new front and rear shock-absorbers, what else would you recommend replacing to attain a smooth ride (as the original 1989 owner would have enjoyed with the fresh car)?

2) How do I know what exact parts should be replaced, or will my local garage be able to make an accurate evaluation of all suspension parts which need replacing just by looking underneath my Benz once they've jacked it up? (i.e. is it simply a flashlight inspection and touch-feel examination, which typically doesn't involve undoing any parts or such extensive checks?)

3) AutohausAz has Sachs-Boge shocks for front and rear shocks -- do Sachs Boge shocks give a comfy ride, IYO? (Anyone tried 'em?) Incidentally, AutohausAz also stocks Bilstein shocks, but it's labelled as for "Rear Left/Right; Standard". Does the word "standard" here mean that these Bilsteins are for front shock application, too? The link for these shocks, at Autohaus, is at:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/product.aspx?sid=f1ip14ypqwnvua45yvx414zw&[email protected]&[email protected]&year=1989&[email protected]%20System&[email protected]%20Absorber

4) When I last had my Benz's left and right wheels centered a year and a half back, my local garage's engineer remarked something about the front and back things (I didn't hear clearly, lol) needing to replaced somewhere in the future, so as to decrease the need for wheels-centering' frequency. Was he most probably referring to the car's front & rear springs, or the shocks?

Advice will be much appreciated, as always!

Have a good night...
RS :)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Added info: I also notice that when I go over a speed-bump on roads, the steering wheel turns slightly to the left -- what replacement part/s is at issue here? (I know it's not wheel-alignment which is an issue, since the alignment cambers, etc. were checked at my local garage recently.)

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Folks, I'm trying to locate the JPEG somebody posted of the suspension parts -- no luck -- anyone know where it's at? (I've searched in vain.)

RS ;-)

·
Registered
1984 500 SEL euro, 1989 560 SEL, 1980 450 SL, 1981 DeLorean, 2013 F10 BMW
1,253 Posts
The creaking noise ususually comes from a rubber bushing. Try using a spray lubricant on the front swaybar bushings that are accessable via the front wheel wells. Also spray the upper control arm mounts as well.

As far as your steering issue, check the steering drag link dampener. It looks like a shock that is attached to the tie rodon the right side. Those are prone to failure and will give the steering a more controled attitude.

Any reasonable tech or mechanic should be able to look over the bushings and ball joints to see if boots are torn or mounts split or worn. They should be able to use adjustable pliers and squeeze the ball joints to feel the travel of the joint. They should also be able to manipulate the front tires to feel the bearings to see if excesive play.

Regards,

·
Registered
1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
1,830 Posts
You need to overhaul the guide rod mount. It's the ball joint bushing at the end of the rod that attaches to the lower control arm and the chassis. They regularly go bad. You will need a spring compressor to remove the spring to replace the small cone shaped bushings on the lower control arm. Check all your suspension bushings, and there are allot of them.

·
Registered
2005 W220 S500 4Matic / 2008 W211 E350 4Matic
997 Posts
I don't know what the weather is like over there, but here in the winter my old shocks made quite a creaky racket while cold - didn't clear up until the car had been driven a bit. The rubber or urethane busnigs at the bottom of the shocks that allow them to articulate with resistance (something I myself have been doing for years) dry and get harder and more worn down. Replacing the shocks may solve this issue for you. I'd do just the shocks at first and see if it helps. The shocks are not the same front and rear. The rears are the same left and right, as are the fronts, but front and rear are different altogether. You will be able to replace the rears easily with common tools once you have the seat out, but the fronts will require either a very short 12-point socket (10mm, I think, but don't quote me) or a special 12-point angled wrench. I tried both and found that the wrench worked better - you will see what I mean when you get in there. It is not necessary to take the wheels off the car for this job, but you will find it very helpful to do the fronts with the car on ramps at the front. This way, you can use a jack at the jacking rubber to raise and lower the body in relation to the suspension.

Oh, and use Bilstein Comfort shocks - you won't regret it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts