Mercedes-Benz Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1998 E55 AMG
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 W210 E55 and have engine oil laying underneath the intake tract assembly. There is no oil leaking onto the road surface.
Does anyone have any ideas as to where the oil might be coming from and how big a problem it might be.
I am 240 miles from home and need to get back :crybaby2:

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,261 Posts
Quotes from others regarding 199x Eyyy
"Watch out for leaking cam covers, worn suspension components (ball joints) and collapsed engine mountings."
Lift the engine cover, shine a flash light along the gasket line to trace the leak.
Most oil leaks are small, some oil leaks when engine is hot some does when cold because there are many things that expand/contract at different temperature, and there's worn or cracked aging gasket. If the leak is large, you won't see the oil on the floor because the noise dampening panel underneath traps it. Shine the flash light down there to see any oil rsidue. Overall, if your car's oil leak is somewhat small, get a liter of 10-40W oil or whatever grade you want, keep it in the trunk, I think you can drive home, stop at 100 miles, check the oil level with the dipstick, re-fill if needed then drive on home.

·
Registered
1998 E55 AMG
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Took the car to an Indy and he removed air intake manifold and advised that a plug in the heatsheild had rusted away. He removed and replaced defective part, clean engine and engine bay and re-assembled.
I have not picked the car up yet as it is 250 miles away and the weather over here has turned bad!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts