Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
ML 320
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had an engine oil flush and semisynthetic oil replaced. The ML ran like a charm for a couple of weeks. My wife has recently been driving it, she doesn't remember running over anything in particular but in the last day or so I have noticed a strange loose metalic sounding noise coming from the engine compartment. It seems to get worse when I accelerate and gets quite loud as I am going down my steep driveway. Help!
Every time I brag about my truck something happens to it? wassup wid dat!?

·
Registered
ML320,C230, F250, Bayliner, Mountain Bike, Fleetwood Motorhome etc...
1,839 Posts
BillNouj said:
I recently had an engine oil flush and semisynthetic oil replaced. The ML ran like a charm for a couple of weeks. My wife has recently been driving it, she doesn't remember running over anything in particular but in the last day or so I have noticed a strange loose metalic sounding noise coming from the engine compartment. It seems to get worse when I accelerate and gets quite loud as I am going down my steep driveway. Help!
Engine oil flush??? semisynthetic oil???
That's the problem right there, NEVER use any type of flush. When running with a flush it is ruining your engine. Also these engines are supposed to have full synthetic oil not semi synthetic. I hate to think what kind of damage was caused to your engine because of these things...

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Those engines have been design to run on dino oils and it wasn't till about 2001, when MB changed the policy.
Some noises are hard to pinpoint. The starting point should be taking off serpentine belt and hear if the noise stops. If it does -look for bad water pump, or alternator. If it doesn't -all I can say is good luck.

·
Registered
ML 320
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rudedude

rudedude said:
Engine oil flush??? semisynthetic oil???
That's the problem right there, NEVER use any type of flush. When running with a flush it is ruining your engine. Also these engines are supposed to have full synthetic oil not semi synthetic. I hate to think what kind of damage was caused to your engine because of these things...
So why do they make the oil flush available.
I 've run that engine with regular oil without a problem to the engine for years.
Harmonic balancer was replaced under recall last year.
I've heard of Center bearings going bad? what's a center bearing? and what is the approx. cost of something like that?
Thanks.

·
Registered
1922 Ford T no OBD, no ECU, no SCN
37,836 Posts
Center bearing on the engine with high mileage means engine rebuilt, or new engine.
Pray man.

·
Registered
ML270
1 Posts
My initial posts on the US site, albeit been looking for quite a while as you guys have more technical info listed.

Have you looked at the Primary Catalytic converter? Not sure about the Petrol (Gas) engines, but the Diesel makes a hellova clattering when the Cat breaks down.

·
Registered
ML 320
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well folks,
I took it to my mechanic and he confirmed that one of my Catalytic converters is going bad.
I called MB USA and they ran my vin number. apparently they do not have an open campaign on my vehicle.
by the way it was full synthetic that I put in my engine on the last oil change. I agree however that the engine flush was a bad idea and probably played a part in screwing up my cat. ..
approx. part price is 600 usd.
thanks all for the reply.

·
Registered
1999 ML320
24,029 Posts
BillNouj said:
This post says the busted cat sounds like it is from the engine (front).

·
Registered
2002 ML 500, 1994 Ford Explorer donated to Doctors without Borders
2,126 Posts
I just had my center bearing replaced under warranty. I was told (by stealer) that they detected a noise. I was paying, so I just had them do it.

edit: Oh! the point is... I had not noticed the sound, but maybe mine was just beginning to go bad... ?

·
C9H9N Offensive Odor Exuder
2002 ML320, 2005 S430 4MATIC RIP, 2010 F150 Crew Cab
11,383 Posts
BillNouj said:
Well folks,
I took it to my mechanic and he confirmed that one of my Catalytic converters is going bad.
I called MB USA and they ran my vin number. apparently they do not have an open campaign on my vehicle.
by the way it was full synthetic that I put in my engine on the last oil change. I agree however that the engine flush was a bad idea and probably played a part in screwing up my cat. ..
approx. part price is 600 usd.
thanks all for the reply.
Don't beat yourself up about the engine flush. Opinions vary about whether or not to do it. Granted, you can create yourself a whole lot of trouble by doing it. You can break loose huge pieces of trash that get into areas that stop up drain backs and hydrolic lifter holes. Remember that engine flushes were designed to work on a warm engine. NOT a hot or cold engine.

When an engine flush IS used, you must let your engine idle for several minutes to completely evacuate all the trash that's built up in your engine. You also must remember that not doing it can be just as fatal to a very dirty engine. My 99 ML430 was one that had dino oil first used before MB changed to full synthetic and it sludged the engine pretty bad. After 2 years of oil changes every 3000 miles, I would get immediate dirty oil and still had lifter rattle which made for an embarrassingly noisy engine. I had enough and flushed it, prepared to remove valve covers if I clogged something up. All went well with it, the engine is very quite (quieter than my ML320 with 1/3 the miles!) and my oil stays cleaner longer.

Engine flushes must be used with caution and the user must be prepared to remove the valve covers to do the clean up if it doesn't work out. Most engine flush failures occur because the flush was improperly done. You wouldn't believe the people who do it on a cold engine. I wouldn't recommend it unless your engine is noisy to begin with. That means it's too dirty to function safely and you WILL do damage operating a dirty engine. It's a choose your poison kind of thing. You may live with one but not the other- OR BOTH!

BTW, I wager it had nothing to do with your failed cat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts