Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having spent a lot of time in and around my car doing my winter projects like, various steering leaks, seat upholstery, stereo replacing and cleaning 30 years of what appears to be possibly nicotine and Armour All residue,and general inspection inside and out.

While laying on the floor and looking at the rear quarter panels i noticed what appears to be very thin raised areas under the paint,,, looks almost like it could have been repainted and had areas of heavily applied paint,,,,,or possibly SURFACE RUST !!! I wanted to poke it real bad to find out for sure,but didnt.

There are already several areas of obvious bubbled up rust on the trunk lid and aft of the headlights on the front fender ,small areas, that havent broke through,,yet.

The new areas are in front of the rear wheels a couple inches above the trim and in front of the tail lights on the sides.

The car has been partially repainted and visible unpainted spot welds on the fwd edge of the quarter panel, that were visible when I removed the rear interior panel above the parcel shelf, were a tell tail sign of being replaced.
If the quarter was replaced it was a very neat job except for the unpainted spot welds,,, I'm sure MB didnt miss these when being built.

The overall condition of the paint is very good and high gloss with minimum orange peel. These latest observations are discouraging.

·
Always Remembered RIP
3,381 Posts
What's the question?
If your asking if you should start on it yourself. If your good at it I guess.
Getting a repaint.... If you got the money, go for it. And about 3-4 month if lucky. It's restoration. Not to many shops will even do it.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
1. You're not looking at surface rust; you're looking at rust that's coming up from underneath. Surface rust only occurs when the paint oxidizes sufficiently for rust to form on the exposed metal surface.

2. "Raised areas of paint" are not that; they are layers of bondo that haven't been properly sanded.

3. Take the car and drive it for now. Be happy. :) When the rust starts breaking through the paint, it's time to find a REAL body shop...and not a bondo palace!

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
What's the question?
If your asking if you should start on it yourself. If your good at it I guess.
Getting a repaint.... If you got the money, go for it. And about 3-4 month if lucky. It's restoration. Not to many shops will even do it.
I talked with the local Mercedes shop. They do the full thing, including removing all the rubber and everything else so they can do it right. They told me for a 107 it'd be $5,000 and take 2 months. My jaw dropped, thinking about Scott's 364 day job and before I could say anything they said, "The reason it takes that long is we do it right and remove all the rubber and everything else so we don't have to tape over it."

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
They told me for a 107 it'd be $5,000 and take 2 months. My jaw dropped, thinking about Scott's 364 day job and before I could say anything they said, "The reason it takes that long is we do it right and remove all the rubber and everything else so we don't have to tape over it."
Um, there may be some confusion here. My paint job didn't take 364 days. I picked it up from the paint shop 364 days after I first rolled it into my garage. The actual paint & body part of the restoration took 7 weeks.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
The reason it takes so long is the body shop doesn't really want to do it. Compared to most modern cars, the R107 is a complete pain in the ass because of all the chrome trim. So it gets set in the corner, and people will work on it when the feel like it. Which isn't often. So it takes 2 months...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Two months seems to be the standard estimate. That's what the paint shop here told me too.
When you analyze the workflow, it's hard to justify 2 months .....unless there is a lot of idle time as page62 describes.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
When you analyze the workflow, it's hard to justify 2 months .....unless there is a lot of idle time as page62 describes.
My car sat in the parking lot for the first 5 weeks it was there - this was after I'd given them 4 weeks notice that I was bringing it in. So people actually touching the car, pulling things off and putting them on, took two weeks. The rest of the time was filler to (I assume) make me feel better about spending $7200.

What they don't know is, I'd have felt a lot better about paying them the $7200 and maybe thought about throwing in a bonus, if they'd gotten it to me in 2 weeks instead of me getting 5 weeks of reports "I drove by today - your car is still in the parking lot." Don't get me wrong, I'm still grinning like an idiot over the quality they put into the paint job, but if it only took them two weeks to do it and they required me to give them 4 weeks notice so they could schedule it in, why did they have it for 7 weeks? One of those eternal mysteries.

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
to do it in 2 weeks, it can't have sat idle for long.
how many manhours do you reckon went into the job?
No idea. There wasn't a lot of sheet metal work to do. There was no rust, and the only place they had to smooth out dings was on the passenger rear quarter panel, between the gas flap and the trailing edge of the door. Most of the time would have been in taking off the trim and putting it back together again.

I know they didn't rush the job, because they not only put all the trim back on properly, they replaced missing screws with the right type/size/thread. If the dates on the photos they took are to be trusted (no reason not to) it took them a day to strip the car, a couple of days to do the body work and get it ready to spray, five days to spray and cure, and then two days to put everything back on.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'll come at it another way.
How much does a bodyman or painter earn an hour there? I mean individual wages, not shop charge-out rate..

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts
I'll come at it another way.
How much does a bodyman or painter earn an hour there? I mean individual wages, not shop charge-out rate..
I got it painted in Southern Utah. A good wage there is $13-$15 an hour.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I got it painted in Southern Utah. A good wage there is $13-$15 an hour.
Put 6 or 7 wives to work and it adds up...

So the shop charge out is likely $30 to $40 an hour. Subtract say $1200 for materials, maybe 200 hours labor on the job.
Fits with a 2 week schedule.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts