Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2002 SLK 320, 2003 CLK 320
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a less than two year old 2003 C320 with 35,000 miles. For the last couple of months, every time I dry the car after washing, the chamois makes a funny sound as I dry the roof. After the last washing, I ran my fingers over the roof and it felt like very fine sandpaper. The paint looks perfect, but from the roof to about halfway down the A and C pillars, the suface feels rough. I used Meguiar's clearcoat safe paint cleaner, polish, and wax (two coats), and it is a little smoother, but nowhere near the perfectly smooth finish that it used to have, and that most of the rest of the vehicle STILL has. My windows feel the same - like very fine sandpaper.

The pool was just refinished at my condo building and my parking space is just underneath the edge of the pool deck in a carport. I think the top of the car must have been contaminated with something and I guess I will have to get it professionally removed? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2002 C230k
1,246 Posts
The first thing you do is throw the chamois in the trash and buy some good quality microfiber towels such as the the Big Blue towels. Why? The microfiber towels trap any fine particles in the fiber. The chamois will just drag them across the surface of the paint.

Wash the area thoroughly with Dawn dish detergent. Dawn will remove most waxes, oils etc. Now clean the area with tar and bug remover and wash again with Dawn. Next use a good clay bar such as Clay Magic on the area. The clay bar will remove most imbedded surface contaminants. If the area is still not smooth, it probably needs to be buffed. Some people buff their own cars, but I wouldn't recommend doing it to you C unless you have experience buffing other cars.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts